Kyle Orton Comeback Player Of The Year Anyone?

Bryce Paup

For a guy to comeback to the NFL after he was drinking Jack Daniels on his couch thinking about retirement.. His first game back he puts up better numbers than Aaron Rodgers vs the NFL's number 1 rated defense.. He looked a bit rusty on his first couple drives and had the pick six.. but once he started getting into a rhythm he showed that this offense can be very dangerous.. once he builds a chemistry with his receivers I'm very excited about the potential we have with Orton going forward.. I know its only one game.. but you have to be somewhat optimistic about where this team can go if he continues to play like he did Sunday minus the pick six

Can we just refrain from making threads after one game? Will people ever learn and just let things play out for even 2 or 3 weeks?

Damn. I was just getting ready to post my "Sammy Watkins Rookie of the Year Anyone?" thread.

I'm glad I read this as well. I'll have to wait a while longer to post my "Todd Downing Sideline Play Communicator of the Year Anyone?" thread.

Orton isn't the reason we won this game. Just like EJ wasn't the reason we beat the Bears, and Miami. Bad field goal kicking and a good 58 yarder won this game for us.

I didn't see any throws Sunday that EJ could not have done or has not done. The first half was abysmal, but he got better in the second half. It seems the experience is what really helped the team, like how Jackson said, "a veteran presence in the huddle reading the defense".

Edited by What a Tuel

Orton isn't the reason we won this game. Just like EJ wasn't the reason we beat the Bears, and Miami. Bad field goal kicking and a good 58 yarder won this game for us.

I didn't see any throws Sunday that EJ could not have done or has not done. The first half was abysmal, but he got better in the second half. It seems the experience is what really helped the team, like how Jackson said, "a veteran presence in the huddle reading the defense".

Interesting. Orton isn't the reason we won, but what really helped the team win was a veteran presence in the huddle reading the defense. Got it.

Orton didn't win it himself. In fact, credit has to go to the defense for keeping Detroit's offense to a single TD. But Orton made a number of throws EJ either wouldn't make or wouldn't see.

Interesting. Orton isn't the reason we won, but what really helped the team win was a veteran presence in the huddle reading the defense. Got it.

Orton didn't win it himself. In fact, credit has to go to the defense for keeping Detroit's offense to a single TD. But Orton made a number of throws EJ either wouldn't make or wouldn't see.

Which throws specifically?

Orton can be a competent QB (he wasn't in the first half), and still not be the reason we won the game. A veteran reading the defense is better than a young developing QB. Not so surprising, but he wasn't "comeback player of the year or even week" either. As you stated, I would give the most credit to the defense, and possibly their kicker/our kicker.

Edit: Also just to be clear, I am all for going with Orton at this point, and back to our original plan of EJ developing behind a veteran.

Edited by What a Tuel

Orton can be a competent QB (he wasn't in the first half), and still not be the reason we won the game. A veteran reading the defense is better than a young developing QB. Not so surprising, but he wasn't "comeback player of the year or even week" either. As you stated, I would give the most credit to the defense, and possibly their kicker/our kicker.

Edit: Also just to be clear, I am all for going with Orton at this point, and back to our original plan of EJ developing behind a veteran.

I'm not sure exactly what your point is, but those 30 completions didn't just throw themselves.

The first throw that comes to mind was a 14-yard out he made to Watkins in the 4th quarter, 5+ minutes left, pressure on Orton. In that situation, EJ rolls out, either by design or instinct under pressure, ignores Sammy and either throws underneath to a RB or goes deeper to someone like Woods. You only needed to watch the Houston game to see what EJ was missing and what Orton does differently.

The first throw that comes to mind was a 14-yard out he made to Watkins in the 4th quarter, 5+ minutes left, pressure on Orton. In that situation, EJ rolls out, either by design or instinct under pressure, ignores Sammy and either throws underneath to a RB or goes deeper to someone like Woods. You only needed to watch the Houston game to see what EJ was missing and what Orton does differently.

The 20 yard throw? You mean like the identical albeit shorter 14 yard out he made to Watkins in the 4th quarter, 6+ minutes left in Chicago? (Holding on Seantrel but Manuel made the throw)

Listen, I admit Manuel needs to work on his play, but if we would have lost this game, we all know we would of had a "Glad we gave up our 1st round pick and don't have a QB for years to come" thread rather than a "Orton comeback of the year" thread. And we very nearly lost this game.

Edited by What a Tuel

The 20 yard throw? You mean like the identical albeit shorter 14 yard out he made to Watkins in the 4th quarter, 6+ minutes left in Chicago? (Holding on Seantrel but Manuel made the throw)

Unfortunately, you're so eager to defend EJ, you didn't even bother reading my post. Read it again. I'll try to find a link.

And listen, there are few bigger QB homers than me. I still defend JP Losman, and desperately want EJ to be our guy. But when I -- a non-athletic puke whose football highlight reel begins and ends with helping my father set up the local Punt, Pass an Kick contests in the early 70s -- can see what Manuel is missing, it's time for the kid to sit.

EDIT: It's not a good viewing angle, but you'll see the catch I'm referring to at the 2:40 mark in the Wired for Sound video here.

Edited by LABillzFan

For a guy to comeback to the NFL after he was drinking Jack Daniels on his couch thinking about retirement.. His first game back he puts up better numbers than Aaron Rodgers vs the NFL's number 1 rated defense.. He looked a bit rusty on his first couple drives and had the pick six.. but once he started getting into a rhythm he showed that this offense can be very dangerous.. once he builds a chemistry with his receivers I'm very excited about the potential we have with Orton going forward.. I know its only one game.. but you have to be somewhat optimistic about where this team can go if he continues to play like he did Sunday minus the pick six

Week 5? Yes. The year? Let's see how we do the rest of the way first. :thumbsup:

Here's a better angle from the All 22 link someone just posted here.

Scroll down a bit more than half way and you'll see the video called 'Just Playing Catch."

You see Fred or CJ (can't make out who it is) out of the backfield as an outlet receiver. Sammy goes down and out. Defender comes in hot on Orton. If EJ sees that defender, he rolls out, not even thinking about Sammy and dumping to the RB. Orton stands in, waits for Sammy to make his break and hits him clean. You couldn't watch the Houston game and then the Detroit game and not see the clear upgrade.