The Watkins trade

vegas55

Not for the Buffalo Bills. If so we might not be having this debate to begin with. As for every Watkins there we are littered with Grahams, Goodwins, Hardys, Parishs etc. As again I'm just looking for the team to acquire the best group of talent. Yet again Watkins has proven better than I thought he'd be up to this point so he might be the next great one. Yet I guess I rank Ebron a little better than you as I could see him being another JerMichael Finley to me not just another run of the mill TE.

So Decker, Finley and Cockerill or Julio Jones, Chandler and Robey?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Decker, Finley and Cockerill or Julio Jones, Chandler and Robey?

Chandler to me is a career backup. I'm not sold as Decker as a number 1 but he is an above average #2 as he isn't a bad WR I mean he made Tim Tebow look half way decent so I take that first group each and every time.

Not for the Buffalo Bills. If so we might not be having this debate to begin with. As for every Watkins there we are littered with Grahams, Goodwins, Hardys, Parishs etc. As again I'm just looking for the team to acquire the best group of talent. Yet again Watkins has proven better than I thought he'd be up to this point so he might be the next great one. Yet I guess I rank Ebron a little better than you as I could see him being another JerMichael Finley to me not just another run of the mill TE.

You just named 2 second and 2 third rounders that were all projects

And finleys best year is just 750 yards for perspective. Use him as the example and the opinion doesn't change on my end.

Chandler to me is a career backup. I'm not sold as Decker as a number 1 but he is an above average #2 as he isn't a bad WR I mean he made Tim Tebow look half way decent so I take that first group each and every time.

Fair enough - I know I agree with Kirby on this one. It's all good though, and we can agree to disagree

I'm not a Chandler fan either. All that I was getting at is that solid players can be found everywhere. It's REALLY hard in today's NFL with scouting and technology to get stars outside of the beginning of the draft. Some happen like Sherman and then there are others with question marks like Josh Gordon. The can't miss guys go early. Edited by Kirby Jackson

The Bills lose to the Bears and Lions without Watkins. 1-4 would feel a lot worse than 3-2. Granted without Watkins our 1st rounder would probably be another 6-10 pick. As it is the 1st rounder the Browns will get will probably be no better than 20th.

nuff fir me

It was interesting to listen last week to so many critics, including the two afternoon clowns at WGR, concluding what a terrible mistake Whaley made in trading up for Watkins. The nitwits had two main points, both of which were, unsurprisingly, completely wrong. First point was they moved up to acquire a weapon for EJ, and so now that EJ is benched the move was a major mistake. As if EJ is the only QB who needs great receivers. Every QB in the NFL could use mega talented receivers. Certainly Orton did yesterday. And you don't think Stafford terribly missed not having Calvin Johnson healthy yesterday?

Their second point is that Bills gave up 2015 number one draft pick, which they would need to draft a franchise QB in case EJ fails. But it's obvious that the Bills have a lot of talent, and even last year, with an oft injured rookie EJ at QB, they still managed to win 6 games. No matter how mediocre Bills QB is in 2014, it's extremely unlikely they would win less than 6. And that's gives you the 9th or 10th pick, and you are never getting a sure fire, franchise QB that late in the round. It just doesn't happen.

Atlanta made a similiar move several years ago, trading way up to get Julio Jones. I NEVER hear criticism of that trade.

They had Matt Ryan already. Simple as that.

Well, John, you can argue about the style or the results. If Orton leads them to the playoffs the fact he missed training camp is moot. We have heard that KO was approached at the start of camp. Is this true? If so maybe he told them that he'll show up after camp? If that's the case that explains why they didn't want to bring anyone else in.

and yet the Bills had said all along through spring that they had confidence in EJ and his two backups before deciding they needed a veterans. you seem to suggest that they had vision and foresight all along, when I'm suggesting they didn't, especially after giving Jordon Palmer a three-day tryout before committing a lot of money to lure Orton to Buffalo.

it's not as if the QB concerns snuck up on them.

jw

and yet the Bills had said all along through spring that they had confidence in EJ and his two backups before deciding they needed a veterans. you seem to suggest that they had vision and foresight all along, when I'm suggesting they didn't, especially after giving Jordon Palmer a three-day tryout before committing a lot of money to lure Orton to Buffalo.

it's not as if the QB concerns snuck up on them.

jw

orton didnt even come onto the market until months after the point where they wouldve needed to reasonably address the position. there was a whole lot of luck on that one - but ill take a little luck.

Jerry Rice was 6'2 and ran in the 4'6s. He was an insane competitor and ran the best routes in the history of football. Steve Largent was pretty good too and he was no physical specimen. Willingness to compete, his dedication to his craft and yes....being blessed with a good QB are the attributes that will determine Watkins place in NFL history, not his height or vertical.

Edited by agardin

I was against the Watkins trade, not because I don't think Sammy isn't a talent (I think he could be a top 5 WR in the NFL and at worst if he stays healthy I think he is a multi time pro-bowl type talent) but because I think it was a horrible value to move up 5 spots and because we did have Stevie on the roster.

Trading away pick number 9, next years number 1, and Stevie for Sammy and a 4th next year from the 49ers just seemed like too steep a price to pay. We could have drafted a good player at 9 and still had Stevie at WR. I think we could have honestly traded down picked up an extra second and taken Kelvin Benjamin and kept Stevie as a slot reciever (But no gaurantee that a trade down would have been there). Throw in having next years number 1 in tact and I think its a much better move to have not made the trade.

I guess my point was the management of picks and resources seems like the team got ripped off. But if you look back at this deal 2-4 years from now and the Bills got the best player in the deal then its a success.