[closed]I feel terrible for EJ.

Tipster19

With that being said I'm not disputing if this is the right move or the wrong move but I will say that it's not all EJ's fault and I believe that this point shouldn't be overlooked with this changing of the guards. From Hackett to the OL to the WRs there is enough blame to go around for this last game in particular. I didn't get to watch the whole game but I saw enough to see that our game plan was not even remotely in the vicinity of what I was expecting. All week long I was fully expecting us to run the ball down Houston's throat and to see that we only ran 23 times the whole game makes me question if EJ was given a fair chance to succeed. I will say that the JJ Watt pick 6 was totally and utterly horrific, from the play calling of that play to the execution of that play and the timing of that play.

Anyways I'm getting off track here. I just want to say that I feel bad for EJ. He is such a good kid and his parents must be very proud of him for the young man that he is. Football aside and being a father of 4 fantastic kids, 3 being sons, I really respect the parenting of EJ and the quality of a person that EJ is. I hope that he's not taking this benching too hard and I feel for him. All I know is this, I would be proud as a peacock to have a son like him, the kid is what a parent would want in their son, hard working, committted and dedicated and just flat out respectful.

Hang in there EJ, and I feel that you will, I believe in YOU and I have a sneaky suspicion that this whole set back is going to make you better. It's always darkest before the dawn and I truly believe that you're going to have plenty of newer and brighter dawns ahead of you. Hang in there kid, I'm pulling for you!

With all due respect I don't think that's why this kid plays this game, or I like to at least think that and that is one of the reasons why I feel for him. I believe that the game is his life long dream and I don't like seeing ANYONE'S dreams being broken when they have totally dedicated themselves their whole lives towards their goals. I believe EJ plays for the love of the game and I like that.

Nice post. He

With that being said I'm not disputing if this is the right move or the wrong move but I will say that it's not all EJ's fault and I believe that this point shouldn't be overlooked with this changing of the guards. From Hackett to the OL to the WRs there is enough blame to go around for this last game in particular. I didn't get to watch the whole game but I saw enough to see that our game plan was not even remotely in the vicinity of what I was expecting. All week long I was fully expecting us to run the ball down Houston's throat and to see that we only ran 23 times the whole game makes me question if EJ was given a fair chance to succeed. I will say that the JJ Watt pick 6 was totally and utterly horrific, from the play calling of that play to the execution of that play and the timing of that play.

Anyways I'm getting off track here. I just want to say that I feel bad for EJ. He is such a good kid and his parents must be very proud of him for the young man that he is. Football aside and being a father of 4 fantastic kids, 3 being sons, I really respect the parenting of EJ and the quality of a person that EJ is. I hope that he's not taking this benching too hard and I feel for him. All I know is this, I would be proud as a peacock to have a son like him, the kid is what a parent would want in their son, hard working, committted and dedicated and just flat out respectful.

Hang in there EJ, and I feel that you will, I believe in YOU and I have a sneaky suspicion that this whole set back is going to make you better. It's always darkest before the dawn and I truly believe that you're going to have plenty of newer and brighter dawns ahead of you. Hang in there kid, I'm pulling for you!

Nice post. He is a good kid. Great parents. I hope everyone (EJ, team, fans) treat this as part of his development.

The worst thing that happened to him is the Buffalo Bills picking him 1-2 rounds early and throwing him into the fire. He needed to get drafted by a team with an established QB and learn under that guys wing. He's not a starter in this league yet, and this is good for him to take a step back and LEARN. Who know's if he will be here long term, but if he can improve his game, he could make a decent career.

between this thread and the "Dude" missing Fitz thread. i think I"ll have a glass of warm milk myslef.

Multi millionaire atheletes selling shares of stock, branding themselves, well life is tough for a lot of us.

personally, I care more about the players body of work. Than the fact he has cool parents and is a nice guy.

Everyone should be a nice guy BFD.

Lets get guys that win, it's why we pay the money. The human interest story should be reserved for

The "view", I'll ask my mom if she can swing a appearance with all the nice Bills guys on there.

Edited by Best Player Available

The world is a hard place. Competition can be brutal. You aim for excellence and you have lots of people trying to beat you out. I'd like to be an NFL QB too, or a MLB player, but God did not give me the talent. Either EJ has the talent or he does not. If he does not, then he falls into the same category as 99.999% of the rest of us. If he does, and he has the will, this will only make him stronger. Only time will tell. It's up to him.

The worst thing that happened to him is the Buffalo Bills picking him 1-2 rounds early and throwing him into the fire. He needed to get drafted by a team with an established QB and learn under that guys wing. He's not a starter in this league yet, and this is good for him to take a step back and LEARN. Who know's if he will be here long term, but if he can improve his game, he could make a decent career.

I feel for the guy too. Remember back in the day when QB's drafted in the first round sometimes held a clip board and learned for a while? EJ is a prime example of a kid who might have benefited from this. I wish nothing but the best for EJ.

EJ is a good kid, so was JP Losman. Problem is, they both sucked as NFL QBs. I was all for giving EJ the entire season to see if we have a franchise QB in him. After the Houston game, there is just no way you can stick with him without losing the entire team. I'm not a big Hackett fan, but the last 2 losses were not the fault of play calling.

That Watts pick -6 was the right call at the right time. EJ panicked and instead of lofting the ball or faking Watts into the air, he choked and gave it right to him.

Everyone thinks we are such a great running team. That's only true if there is the threat of the pass. Watch the defenses of the last couple game stack the box against the run. EJ can't or won't check out of it to a pass, and even when a pass is called he is missing wide open receivers all the time. Not just a bad throw here or there, it's the majority of the time. You can't win in the NFL if your QB can't throw against 8 or 9 guys in the box, period. EJ at this point can't.

I feel for the guy too. Remember back in the day when QB's drafted in the first round sometimes held a clip board and learned for a while? EJ is a prime example of a kid who might have benefited from this. I wish nothing but the best for EJ.

Exactly. He's not ready yet, but that does not mean he never will be, despite the sureness on this of many folks on the board and JS. How many years did Aaron Rogers sit behind Favre?

ie. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers. those guys weren't supposed to be any better than EJ coming out of college. but they were able to learn under veteran QB's and take it all in. (Bledsoe, Favre). I love the Bills just as much as the next guy but we really screwed up taking this guy so early and tossing him into games. Hopefully he can use this as fuel to get better.

EJ is a good kid, so was JP Losman. Problem is, they both sucked as NFL QBs. I was all for giving EJ the entire season to see if we have a franchise QB in him. After the Houston game, there is just no way you can stick with him without losing the entire team. I'm not a big Hackett fan, but the last 2 losses were not the fault of play calling.

That Watts pick -6 was the right call at the right time. EJ panicked and instead of lofting the ball or faking Watts into the air, he choked and gave it right to him.

Everyone thinks we are such a great running team. That's only true if there is the threat of the pass. Watch the defenses of the last couple game stack the box against the run. EJ can't or won't check out of it to a pass, and even when a pass is called he is missing wide open receivers all the time. Not just a bad throw here or there, it's the majority of the time. You can't win in the NFL if your QB can't throw against 8 or 9 guys in the box, period. EJ at this point can't.

You are just wrong on the Watt play. If EJ through it any higher-- with more loft-- the pass would have been incomplete and we all would be saying FJ had a sure TD/1st down and Manuel just missed him. On that one, Watt was just being Watt, perhaps the only DL in the league who could do that. Now there were lots of other plays that EJ misfired badly, so no pass on that from me.

Exactly. He's not ready yet, but that does not mean he never will be, despite the sureness on this of many folks on the board and JS. How many years did Aaron Rogers sit behind Favre?

A few, but it wasn't because he sucked. It was Brett friggin Favre. Just like Young in SF sitting behind Montana. Good well run franchises

Well unlike Buffalo they do those things sometimes.

The Bills should have pursued Alex Smith, we would be 4-0. Or 3-1 at worst case. but it takes an investment that Brandon simply would not make.

I understand why they made the change but what I don't get is why anyone thinks that Kyle Orton is likely to be much better. There is a reason why he was in the league as long as he was without being able to win a starting position in the long term. The Bills are now officially searching for a long term starting QB and they don't have a first round pick to use to find one until May of 2016. Who will the peanut gallery be calling for when, inevitably, Orton shows his age and lack of top end talent?

This^

A few, but it wasn't because he sucked. It was Brett friggin Favre. Just like Young in SF sitting behind Montana. Good well run franchises

Well unlike Buffalo they do those things sometimes.

The Bills should have pursued Alex Smith, we would be 4-0. Or 3-1 at worst case. but it takes an investment that Brandon simply would not make.

OK. Different point. The Bills tried to do what you suggest with Kolb, but it did not work out. Every reason to question the front office handling of QB situation, but we are now where we are and we have to play the hand that was dealt. Pegula has to deal with your issue.

This post was only intended for the kind of person that EJ is, not what kind of QB he is. It doesn't matter if his benching is the right call or not to me. He is one of our players if you like it or not. Can't someone recognize him for the kind of person that he is or can we only discuss what kind of player he is? As I stated earlier I'm not disputing that we shouldn't bench him, I merely was stating what kind of person I believe he is and that I feel for him.

Are we that cynical and callous that we only can view him for what he can do for us?? I'm a long standing Bills' fan and have suffered through these years as much as anybody else but there are other things in football that I appreciate, it's not anyways just result driven. Do hope some of you get more joy out of this team than what you have been getting because I think that you really need it.

I understand why they made the change but what I don't get is why anyone thinks that Kyle Orton is likely to be much better. There is a reason why he was in the league as long as he was without being able to win a starting position in the long term. The Bills are now officially searching for a long term starting QB and they don't have a first round pick to use to find one until May of 2016. Who will the peanut gallery be calling for when, inevitably, Orton shows his age and lack of top end talent?

Right or wrong, the thinking plainly is as follows: the Bills have enough talent in a weak AFC East to contend if they just get average QB play, ala Dilfer or Johnson (Johnston?) winning Super Bowls. Manuel has been well below average. Orton has shown he can be an average QB and fill the needed role. That is the working thesis, we will see if it is true. It says nothing about what we will do long term for a QB. But in the here and now, that is the plan.