Stupid play calling

I'm losing some of my patience with Hackett, as I think he can do better. But I still don't think he's outright bad or in over his head or whatever his critics are claiming. I think he's hardly asking anything of EJ and EJ still isn't delivering. I don't know what else he can draw up for a guy who seems to finesse every throw and can't read defenses.

And furthermore- I know a lot on here don't like Marrone either, but I'm sure he and Hackett come up with the gameplan together. I'm sure they discuss in-game and halftime adjustments together. Marrone is a rookie HC but he's been around the block. I'm sure they both planned on running the ball more assuming (hoping) EJ could do something to get the Texans to stop crowding the line.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a screen. He's supposed to run free and EJ puts the ball over his head.

Normally on a screen you throw the ball and get linemen out in front. This was a pass in the flat. Watt can cover up to 11' with his jump. His catching radius is on par with Megatron. That makes EJ put a ton on loft to throw it over Watts head to Fred. By the time the ball clears over & lands with Fred does he even have time to catch & turn upfield? EJ tried to made the throw around Watt, the ball was snagged around 8-1/2 to 9' high. My thoughts are Fred should have adjusted his route to be parallel to EJ in the flat being that Watt intersected the original flight path.

My problem is poor play design & scheme. So the Bills wanted one of the best play makers at the DE position to be in-between Fred & EJ unblocked. Henderson needed to stick Watt. If Watt fell back to cover Fred EJ could tuck & run for the first using Henderson to wall off Watt.

You know what though? In different circumstances I may agree. Houston didn't force us to stop running. Hackett quit on it on his own. We were averaging between 3-4 yards a carry, which is decent and not something to abandon. But Hackett did. It's not like a better team said yep we're going to shut down your running game, now you pass, it was a case where Hackett thought he could outsmart everyone. To run the ball only 22 times in a game when your running game is moving at a decent YPC clip, is an idiotic move. The score wasn't so out of reach where you had to abandon the run.

Your argument for this particular game about the run game just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Do you think if EJ made a play or two that there would've been more runs called? You're not asking them to run every down, right?

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into an EJ thread but when the QB makes such a significant impact on the game, it's disingenuous to ignore that when discussing the play calling;

I'm losing some of my patience with Hackett, as I think he can do better. But I still don't think he's outright bad or in over his head or whatever his critics are claiming. I think he's hardly asking anything of EJ and EJ still isn't delivering. I don't know what else he can draw up for a guy who seems to finesse every throw and can't read defenses.

And furthermore- I know a lot on here don't like Marrone either, but I'm sure he and Hackett come up with the gameplan together. I'm sure they discuss in-game and halftime adjustments together. Marrone is a rookie HC but he's been around the block. I'm sure they both planned on running the ball more assuming (hoping) EJ could do something to get the Texans to stop crowding the line.

Houston never shut down our running game. our own coaching staff shut it down. that's what has me angry with the way they do things. We were still making positive gains on the ground, there was no reason to abandon it, but yet they did.

You know what though? In different circumstances I may agree. Houston didn't force us to stop running. Hackett quit on it on his own. We were averaging between 3-4 yards a carry, which is decent and not something to abandon. But Hackett did. It's not like a better team said yep we're going to shut down your running game, now you pass, it was a case where Hackett thought he could outsmart everyone. To run the ball only 22 times in a game when your running game is moving at a decent YPC clip, is an idiotic move. The score wasn't so out of reach where you had to abandon the run.

Your argument for this particular game about the run game just doesn't pass the sniff test.

We'll wait for the all-22's to come out. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think your assumptions are hasty.

Normally on a screen you throw the ball and get linemen out in front. This was a pass in the flat. Watt can cover up to 11' with his jump. His catching radius is on par with Megatron. That makes EJ put a ton on loft to throw it over Watts head to Fred. By the time the ball clears over & lands with Fred does he even have time to catch & turn upfield? EJ tried to made the throw around Watt, the ball was snagged around 8-1/2 to 9' high. My thoughts are Fred should have adjusted his route to be parallel to EJ in the flat being that Watt intersected the original flight path.

My problem is poor play design & scheme. So the Bills wanted one of the best play makers at the DE position to be in-between Fred & EJ unblocked. Henderson needed to stick Watt. If Watt fell back to cover Fred EJ could tuck & run for the first using Henderson to wall off Watt.

My mistake- I just re watched it, you're right.

EJ should've ate it or looked elsewhere because they were all over that play from the jump. The DB is crashing in on Fred and EJ stared Fred down.

So yeah, how can they not make stupid play calls when they're forced to make single read throws for the QB?

Even if EJ gets the pass to Freddie, the Texans were ready for that play all day. If you imagine the pass to its destination, Freddie gets popped as soon as he catches it because the CB is quickly breaking on the pass. At best that play is a one yard completion. Meanwhile, there are wide open receivers on the left.

So the question is, who's responsible for running that exact play?

I've watched the replay 10 plus times. How does Seantrel Henderson not block Watt. If this was play design then that's inexcusable. Watt has a huge radius, add in his 35" arms & 35" vertical and EJ has a wall to throw over.

If Henderson is blocking Watt in the chest he knocks Watt down. Instead Henderson assists Pears on an interior block; and leaves Watt free off the edge to attack Manuel, or play the pass. Watt made a helluva play. Problem is Henderson did not block him. As I said before if that's play design then that's inexcusable.

I thought the aame thing. You have Watt on the Sid of the field the play is going to and you dont block him. Could EJ done something else? Sure. But it was a timing wheel route and you have to think your tackle is gonna get his hands on Watt of all people. This all goes back to the preseason when EJs passes were all tipped down at the line. That o line was scared. All 5 of them. If it werent Orton. I would not mind benching EJ to watch and digest the game. He is not a bust. However he isnt ready yet... WHICH WE KNEW WHEN HE WAS DRAFTED.

We'll wait for the all-22's to come out. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think your assumptions are hasty.

They might be, I'm not going to deny that could be the case, but to me it's frustrating to see in a copycat league (which the NFL is), to see our OC consistently trying to buck the trend, or go against the grain, and not play to what our true strengths are. I know our run game hasn't been great, but man don't quit on it so easily. Design some plays to get EJ some more time if the line plays poorly, get him out of the pocket more, do something, just do ANYTHING. try some routes that are rub routes to get guys open. I know a lot of it has to do with the play of our QB, but our OC has to be looking at ways to move the ball and keep the defense on it's toes and it's just not happening, and that is a coaching fail

Do you think if EJ made a play or two that there would've been more runs called? You're not asking them to run every down, right?

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into an EJ thread but when the QB makes such a significant impact on the game, it's disingenuous to ignore that when discussing the play calling;

No not every down, but I'd like to see our OC look and say damn that's not working, lets change things up. It seems to me he is too stubborn to adjust on the fly, or go with the flow of the game. It seems like they run 15 different plays the entire game and that's all. No Defense anywhere will fear that. Do what you can to protect and mask your QB's shortcomings (if possible). Give a gameplan that keeps a team on their toes.

It's too simplistic to say Bills abandoned the run. Freddie & CJ still got the bulk of the touches in the second half.

Houston never shut down our running game. our own coaching staff shut it down. that's what has me angry with the way they do things. We were still making positive gains on the ground, there was no reason to abandon it, but yet they did.

I'm not really talking about them shutting down the running game; I'm talking about them crowding the box, leaving the outside WRs in single coverage or with only one safety deep. I'm not saying they should never run into the teeth of that, but why wouldn't you expect your first round QB to make some deep or intermediate throws with all that space available? The WRs are talented enough. I'll wait for the all-22 to verify, but my beer goggles saw beatable coverage and WRs open or coming open all game.

I've watched the replay 10 plus times. How does Seantrel Henderson not block Watt. If this was play design then that's inexcusable. Watt has a huge radius, add in his 35" arms & 35" vertical and EJ has a wall to throw over.

If Henderson is blocking Watt in the chest he knocks Watt down. Instead Henderson assists Pears on an interior block; and leaves Watt free off the edge to attack Manuel, or play the pass. Watt made a helluva play. Problem is Henderson did not block him. As I said before if that's play design then that's inexcusable.

Having not watched the play that many times, my guess is the explanation is the obvious one , a huge gaffe by Henderson and an even bigger one by Manuel. The Bills last week struggled with interior pressure, stunts. That was likely a focal point in preparation for Houston as they would likely try the same things. Henderson mistakenly chose to help the Guard with a block and left the one player you must block above all else free. Perhaps he felt Watt had a longer path to the QB as he was on the end, Idont know. Manuel, however, had to see Watt coming free and chose to challenge him anyway by going with the design of the play. This is a big reason why he will never be more than a backup caliber QB in this league. You just have to realize the designed play has been blown up and improvise, even if it means running for a nominal gain or getting outside tha box and throwing it into the 10th row. You must preserve the points. So a rookie OL makes a blunder,but even a second year QB has to see that and be better. Manuel isn't.

Honestly I dont really think EJ had a real impact on whether to abandon the run. It was working. And they just stopped. I think EJ is best with Chandler Fred and CJ. And I think outside of the internet those plays worked. It all boils down to the o line. They just cant block the run or pass. I bet dollars to doughnuts we will see the Lions or Patriots running 4 man stunts. No outside pressure needed. EJ looked like he might be making a little progress. Then the chargers stunted. EJ was not effective. And the Texans stunted opposite Watt. And he crapped the bed. The wors is out. if you stunt against buffalo you will reap huge benefits.

Yeah, except they didn't.

Our players couldn't overcome the opposing gameplan designed to shut them down by executing the counter game plan we had in place.

That's how these things work.

Our opponents game plan relied on us ditching our run first mentality? Or are you suggesting they stopped our run game and forced us to pass 44 times? Because from what I saw, we had success running.

You know what though? In different circumstances I may agree. Houston didn't force us to stop running. Hackett quit on it on his own. We were averaging between 3-4 yards a carry, which is decent and not something to abandon. But Hackett did.

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday because I had a gig to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the first around the world flight. however I did TIVO the game and watched the first half last night. Looked like the run game, when we did run, was working. Was a big part of those 2 long drives.

Texans may have been stacking up to stop the run and daring EJ to beat them with the pass, but the run game was still working when utilized.

Seeing on the stat sheet that EJ threw 44 times, one would assume we were playing from behind, but we weren't.

Our opponents game plan relied on us ditching our run first mentality? Or are you suggesting they stopped our run game and forced us to pass 44 times? Because from what I saw, we had success running.

Have you looked at the play by play to make this definitive argument?