A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Matthew Fairburn writing for syracuse.com noted that EJ is going to be in contact with his mental coach from FSU. I don't even know how to adequately and appropriately respond to this, if true. A mental coach. You've got to be kidding me. Unbelievable.

"Prior to the game, Albert Breer of NFL Network reported Manuel was again working with his mental conditioning coach from Florida State."

Marrone cannot fix someone who's been told for years that he's good. Nor can Hostler, Downing, or Hackett. If a guy's mentally weak because no one has been hard on him at times, then the NFL isn't the correct venue to start.

"EJ, you are good. You are confident. And gosh darn it, people like you".

That oughta do it.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you.

Tough guy syndrome runs rampant around here. It's a wonder all of the hulking, ultra-confident supermen around these parts haven't already conquered the NFL, Al Qaeda, Antarctica and space the way some people talk.

Working with the equivalent of a mental fitness coach is no more a sign of weakness than is working with a strength and conditioning coach.

Listen buddy, I lift weights and I workout, eat beef, I'm a big strong guy with a big truck.

I'm tough.

Bills Vet and a lot of these guys are not trying to be tough. I do not mean disrespect because it is somewhat ignorance. These major college programs truly coddle these guys because they have a professional to help them at every need because those little things make a difference. A team Dr., Chiropractor, Masseuse, Chaplin, psychologist, PA's - even entire offices made to make sure they can succeed in school.

Im not against the benching......but just understand people that if Orton comes in and also sucks.....your not going back to EJ this year......

Benching him will probably crush whatever confidence he has left....he will literally need to be biult back up in practice

If that's the case, he's not the QB we thought he was anyway. Starters have been benched before and have come back to stake their claim. It may be a moot point after next Sunday, anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

Thank you.

Tough guy syndrome runs rampant around here. It's a wonder all of the hulking, ultra-confident supermen around these parts haven't already conquered the NFL, Al Qaeda, Antarctica and space the way some people talk.

Working with the equivalent of a mental fitness coach is no more a sign of weakness than is working with a strength and conditioning coach.

I know I hope he gets some work in with his sensativity coach too. So much to do instead of having even a sembelence of game in him.

I get what your first thought may be but I want to chime in here.

Mental health and the entire viewpoint of mentality in this world is whack.

We work out our muscles and we train and condition our bodies for athletic endeavors. The mind is no different. Throwing motions for QB's, balance drills for RB's, tip drills for DB's, bird dogging for OL and kicking field goals... you get it.

There is nothing wrong with adjusting mental strength.

Mental toughness is an oft-described concept that I don't think is discussed properly. That said, we have an issue where kids today are told they're doing well when they're not. When those kids become adults, the big boy and big girl world is hard for them to adjust to and they struggle.

Sure there are exceptions and the old-school ways of yelling at people all the time isn't healthy either. I just get the sense EJ's been told he's great and now that's obviously not the case he's struggling.

I don't know anything about EJ's upbringing, but I'll go out on a limb and say he's never really dealt with adversity the way he needs to now. And to echo what Coach Tuesday say above, he's done if he's gotta get mentality coaching.

Matthew Fairburn writing for syracuse.com noted that EJ is going to be in contact with his mental coach from FSU. I don't even know how to adequately and appropriately respond to this, if true. A mental coach. You've got to be kidding me. Unbelievable.

"Prior to the game, Albert Breer of NFL Network reported Manuel was again working with his mental conditioning coach from Florida State."

Marrone cannot fix someone who's been told for years that he's good. Nor can Hostler, Downing, or Hackett. If a guy's mentally weak because no one has been hard on him at times, then the NFL isn't the correct venue to start.

I don't think it'll work, but I don't think it's fair to criticize Manuel for this. There are so many misconceptions about mental issues (and, obviously, mental illness, which isn't at issue here) already, and we shouldn't reinforce them by criticizing a guy suffering from a variation of the yips for trying to address the problem.

At any rate, no one should be criticized for consulting a sports psychologist.

Edited by dave mcbride

Listen buddy, I lift weights and I workout, eat beef, I'm a big strong guy with a big truck.

I'm tough.

I'd never doubt it! And that's the truth.

Bills Vet and a lot of these guys are not trying to be tough. I do not mean disrespect because it is somewhat ignorance. These major college programs truly coddle these guys because they have a professional to help them at every need because those little things make a difference. A team Dr., Chiropractor, Masseuse, Chaplin, psychologist, PA's - even entire offices made to make sure they can succeed in school.

I was reading accusation that EJ is mentally weak based on this evidence, to mean that BillsVet is making a value judgment on what toughness is.

A team Chaplin though? In these Modern Times?

I'd never doubt it! And that's the truth.

I was reading accusation that EJ is mentally weak based on this evidence, to mean that BillsVet is making a value judgment on what toughness is.

A team Chaplin though? In these Modern Times?

I believe our team Chaplin is saint Doug.

Mental toughness is an oft-described concept that I don't think is discussed properly. That said, we have an issue where kids today are told they're doing well when they're not. When those kids become adults, the big boy and big girl world is hard for them to adjust to and they struggle.

Sure there are exceptions and the old-school ways of yelling at people all the time isn't healthy either. I just get the sense EJ's been told he's great and now that's obviously not the case he's struggling.

I don't know anything about EJ's upbringing, but I'll go out on a limb and say he's never really dealt with adversity the way he needs to now. And to echo what Coach Tuesday say above, he's done if he's gotta get mentality coaching.

You think Tom Brady doesn't utilize a therapist?

I'm sure he does, and he probably laughs his mentally weak ass all the way to the bank. All sorts of successful people do, and it frequently has little to do with the "amount of adversity" they've dealt with.

Also, re: adversity, why don't you read up on EJ's senior season and come back to this one?

how many elite qb's, past or present, required the assistance of an attitude guru? i'm thinking inner strength is part of the elusive "it" factor that the bills can't seem to find in a qb. it's not enough on it's own as fitzpatrick clearly possesses it, but without it, i don't think there's much hope.

No one is bashing EJ as a person. Therapy is a good thing for anyone and it takes courage to admit you need it.

But the issue here is that the coaches' lack of strategic planning appears to have crushed his confidence. Once that happens to a young QB, the situations are rare that the QB's career turns out well.

Thank you.

Please. His weakness is the sign of weakness. He's a weak runner, a weaker passer, and a weak quarterback.

This forum is the most polite internet thing I've ever seen. Credit to the mods for keeping it so clean. But knee j is on blast tonight.

Let me clean it up a bit... EJ Manuel plays football like a coward. Better?

Please. His weakness is the sign of weakness. He's a weak runner, a weaker passer, and a weak quarterback.

This forum is the most polite internet thing I've ever seen. Credit to the mods for keeping it so clean. But knee j is on blast tonight.

Let me clean it up a bit... EJ Manuel plays football like a coward. Better?

Sure, if it makes you feel good to say it. Let it all out. It's not your fault.

No one is bashing EJ as a person. Therapy is a good thing for anyone and it takes courage to admit you need it.

But the issue here is that the coaches' lack of strategic planning appears to have crushed his confidence. Once that happens to a young QB, the situations are rare that the QB's career turns out well.

What lack of strategic planning are you referring to? The offensive design seems to have wide open receivers running free on practically every play. How is that the coaches' fault?

Honestly, I think these coaches are getting a bum rap. They're putting the offense in a position to succeed; the QB just can't hit open receivers.

Also, as you rush to defend poor, delicate EJ, please consider his salary earned NOT taking the hits to earn it. Literally avoiding contact at every turn.

Even though (please dear god) he'll never get the big NFL payday, he's still taking the Bills and us, the fans, for all we're worth.

Hope his mental coach is the best money can buy.

Also, as you rush to defend poor, delicate EJ, please consider his salary earned NOT taking the hits to earn it. Literally avoiding contact at every turn.

Even though (please dear god) he'll never get the big NFL payday, he's still taking the Bills and us, the fans, for all we're worth.

Hope his mental coach is the best money can buy.

I'm not rushing to defend anyone. I'm rushing to clear up an obvious misconception. In any case, your mind seems made up, so... congrats?