Syracuse, NY company - new wireless headphone technology

Mr Info

Aftershokz, a company based in Syracuse NY, has developed wireless bone conduction headphones. Interesting technology and they are doing well as these are back-ordered. When I bike, I do not wear headphones as I feel it restricts my awareness and reaction if something occurs around me. But I am considering these as I could listen to music or directions and my ears will still be open to outside events.

http://www.aftershokz.com/product/bluez-2/

Does anybody else get to hear the other 1/2 of the convo now? Same with the music? Gee... Great! Now I can listen to both ends of the argument in the peanut butter aisle.

I don't believe any sound is projected from these as it is using vibrations for sound.

Here's a review that has info on sunglasses, comfort, etc.

http://road.cc/content/review/124592-aftershokz-bluez-2-wireless-bone-conduction-headphones

Aftershokz, a company based in Syracuse NY, has developed wireless bone conduction headphones. Interesting technology and they are doing well as these are back-ordered. When I bike, I do not wear headphones as I feel it restricts my awareness and reaction if something occurs around me. But I am considering these as I could listen to music or directions and my ears will still be open to outside events.

http://www.aftershok...oduct/bluez-2/

I'm definitely curious about it. I have trouble finding ear buds that are both comfortable and secure enough that they don't fall when I'm working out. I think it would be something I would want to try before I buy.

Does anybody else get to hear the other 1/2 of the convo now? Same with the music? Gee... Great! Now I can listen to both ends of the argument in the peanut butter aisle.

So much for reading the article.

Odd, they say they are not waterproof, but they sweat proof. Any water damage will void the warranty. Seems odd that they could claim sweat "proof" but only water resistant. I just read some reviews on Amazon that say they are great headphones, but they wills top working with heavy sweat.

Odd, they say they are not waterproof, but they sweat proof. Any water damage will void the warranty. Seems odd that they could claim sweat "proof" but only water resistant. I just read some reviews on Amazon that say they are great headphones, but they wills top working with heavy sweat.

waterproof or water resistant ?

resistant = sweat proof.

waterproof=dropped into water / caught in a heavy downpour.

Interesting , but I remain skeptical as to how good the sound could. be. I can't wear standard ear buds as they fall out of my ear almost instantly (plus the sound has never impressed me). For now I will stick to my Sennheiser on the ear (open-aire) phones. But I will stay tuned for the reviews on these bones.

Edited by The Dean

Interesting , but I remain skeptical as to how good the sound could. be. I can't wear standard ear buds as they fall out of my ear almost instantly (plus the sound has never impressed me). For now I will stick to my Sennheiser on the ear (open-aire) phones. But I will stay tuned for the reviews on these bones.

i just bought the Bose QC 25 for the plane, but wanted something for my bike rides and runs as Mr. Info said in first post. Worth the $100 , if they suck my kid has a very cool Christmas present :flirt::w00t:

i just bought the Bose QC 25 for the plane, but wanted something for my bike rides and runs as Mr. Info said in first post. Worth the $100 , if they suck my kid has a very cool Christmas present :flirt::w00t:

I have an pair of older Bose noise cancelling phones for flights (hand me down from my brother). I rarely fly anymore, so they don't get a lot of use. They do a good job of noise cancelling, but the sound quality is just OK (I've never been a big fan of Bose sound). I actually like the sound of my $80 Sennhelser's better--plus they are extremely comfortable. (I really have never found a more comfortable headphone than the Senn's open-aire on the ear design. I had a pair of fantastic Beyer Dynamic phones at one of my previous jobs, but they were uncomfortable is worn for a long time.)

I agree these look great for a bike ride. So I will be anxiously awaiting your review.

waterproof or water resistant ?

resistant = sweat proof.

waterproof=dropped into water / caught in a heavy downpour.

Yeah, like I said, their website says water resistant, but sweat proof. It just seems to me that given where they sit and the fact that they are advertised for working out, bike riding, etc... Seems to me heavy sweat against headphones that sit on the side of your head is similar to a heavy rainfall, no?

And the reviews that I read on Amazon seem to agree. Most of the time they're alright, but with heavy sweat they have issues. But even those reviews say that outside of those issues, the headphones are great.

Just ordered them...wonder when they will come in?

Looks like vitamin shoppe has them available.

Uncomfortable? I say impossible.

I sure as chit hope not, cause i am NEVER on my bike, and rarely on a run, without sunglasses on.

And the reviews that I read on Amazon seem to agree. Most of the time they're alright, but with heavy sweat they have issues. But even those reviews say that outside of those issues, the headphones are great.

Looks like vitamin shoppe has them available.

In terms of the sweat, i hope this is not correct as well , or they will last about 3/4 of a mile and then bonk out on me.

And thanks for telling me they are avaialble on that site AFTER i already ordered them on the companies site :wallbash::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So they came in the mail bout noon.

Two hours to charge...

been wearing them for a couple of hours, and my thoughts pretty much the same as most reviews.

The Good,

1) Sound is good to very good to me. I am not a stereophile, so take that for what it is worth

2) the bluetooth works great

3) does what they are designed to do great..can hear other stuff when listening to music and talk radio just fine :thumbsup: ..

The bad

1) cant adjust the band that goes on the back of the head, makes for a not so great fit and comfort suffers

2) been wearing with sunglasses, and think the concern there is justified. Not unbearble, but just feels funny.Bike helmet overtop was fine

3) been on for a couple of hours..starting to get a bit ..".fatigued" i guess is the word

4) These are not to be used as substitutes for regular headphones in areas with other folks. Picked my daughter up from school with them on, she said music was clear as day to her.

I have not gone for run or ride with them yet, but will report on that Tuesday afternoon

So they came in the mail bout noon.

Two hours to charge...

been wearing them for a couple of hours, and my thoughts pretty much the same as most reviews.

The Good,

1) Sound is good to very good to me. I am not a stereophile, so take that for what it is worth

2) the bluetooth works great

3) does what they are designed to do great..can hear other stuff when listening to music and talk radio just fine :thumbsup: ..

The bad

1) cant adjust the band that goes on the back of the head, makes for a not so great fit and comfort suffers

2) been wearing with sunglasses, and think the concern there is justified. Not unbearble, but just feels funny.Bike helmet overtop was fine

3) been on for a couple of hours..starting to get a bit ..".fatigued" i guess is the word

4) These are not to be used as substitutes for regular headphones in areas with other folks. Picked my daughter up from school with them on, she said music was clear as day to her.

I have not gone for run or ride with them yet, but will report on that Tuesday afternoon

Hey CBF I think we found the cure for your fear of flying. Wear these things cranked up and refuse to turn them off. Your row-mate will punch you out and you'll sleep like a baby all the way to FL. :thumbsup:

I have used these for about a week (was able to pick them up at local Apple store) and my review is not much different than plenzmd1 or others.

Some comments:

I do not use glasses but wear sunglasses when necessary. I found that using croakies/retainers allowed my two pairs of sunglasses to fit correctly. But I always use sunglass retainers so there were no changes.

Paul - are you using the tension strap? I found they fit too loosely without the tension strap on so I use it all the time and it now does not move at all on my head.

I would ask people in various locations (gym, outside, etc,) if they could hear the music and most people said no or barely but they could not identify the music in the latter. My perspective is that under typical ambient noise and low to medium volume setting most people will barely hear it if at all. Under low ambient noise and high volume, then others will hear the music you are playing.

Sound quality is good but not near the quality of good buds. However, I was not getting it for music so I had low expectations. I travel a bunch and rent bikes at various places that I visit for work and will use these for verbal directions while I have the phone mounted on the bike for visual directions. This helps a lot since I am unfamiliar with the cities I am visiting. Having said that, I was pleased with the sound quality based on my low expectations.

I find that I have to charge them after about 4 hours of use. Not happy about that.

Overall, I am pleased with them and plan use them quite a bit. I like being having my ears available when exercising outside.