Would you rather have Geno and Rex or EJ and Doug?

Geno and Rex. They are playing to win, while EJ and Marrone are playing to not lose, and I prefer an aggressive approach.

That aggressive approach has cost and will continue to cost the Jets games. The name of the game is to win, not win pretty. Rex is doing his team a disservice by letting Geno be so careless with the ball.

Rex's aggrssion on D works because he has the horses to back it up but needs to put the breaks on the offence if he wants to give his team a better chance to win.

Granted, I think the Bills pump those breaks way too much and I'd like to see them be a little more aggressive (like throwing on 1st down half the time) but I don't want EJ carelessly putting the ball up time and time again. There is someplace in the middle I'd like to see.

All that being said I'd take Rex over Marrone solely based on the D he brings to the table.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug and EJ.

I think Geno may improve, but I think the INTs will always be a big part of his game because I feel he's the type of player who can be baited into throwing them, and I'm not sure that will change. I think he has less potential long term.

Rex Ryan took a team that Eric Mangini was able to get two winning seasons out of in prior 3 years to the playoffs twice, but the glue has steadily come apart under his sideshow leadership. Over 5 years he's barely better than an 8-8 coach (~8.4-7.6, or something, in regular season). He is also the same bafoon who needlessly got Sanchize injured in the preseason last year.

EJ has the potential to be a better overall QB than Geno, IMO. Smarter, seemingly. Displays better leadership qualities. Has more tools. Hopefully he develops them.

Marrone seems to have a vision for what he wants this team to be, and he seems to have contingencies in place (Schwartz for Pettine in days, for example). He and Whaley also seem better at objectively identifying problems and taking the needed steps (QB housecleaning and Orton signing, for example). They lost to a better SD team. I'm willing to give him more than 19 games to show me what he's got.

Were it not for the Kolb disaster, I don't think EJ would be starting yet. You can see them trying to develop him in game, which while painful to watch at times, is probably the right approach. If it doesn't work and he starts losing games singlehandedly (a la Geno and his INTs), I expect that we'll see Orton. If, at season's end, EJ can't consistently win with the talent at hand, I can envision them going after the biggest QB on the market via trade or FA. Think of Denver when Peyton signed. This team has the type of talent to lure a QB of that caliber if he's out there, IMO, and become an instant contender.

If, over the course of the season, Marrone fails to make needed and obvious adjustments, then that's a different story, but at this point in time I'll take his potential over what Rex has shown in his 5 years with the Jets.

Edited by transient