Bills need to get back to west coast timing offense

Bocephuz

If you haven't already read this excellent breakdown of the Texans pass D from Buffalo Rumblings take a look http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2014/9/26/6849273/bills-vs-texans-2014-passing-offense-ej-manuel-sammy-watkins

After watching the All 22 last week from the Chargers game it is obvious that the Bills Offense needs to move back to the quick, short intermediate west coast timing offense rather than the verticals clear out strategy they had last week. I’m hoping to see a lot of three step drops and curls and slants this Sunday. This will help out the struggling O-Line, neutralize Watt and build EJ’s confidence back up.

Based on the research in the article it appears that the Texans style of D will accommodate this.

I often wonder if our offensive line and EJ would benefit more from a quick passing attack much like Chan's or what the Giants are running.

Reduce the amount of time the line has to pass block and limit the amount of reads EJ needs to try and process. I think one of the main reasons why this didn't work with Chan was because Fitz didn't have the ability to consistently throw downfield. EJ at least has the arm strength and the threat of going deep is there.

We've got guys like Watkins and Goodwin can thrive with yards after catch.

Edited by Bangarang

If you haven't already read this excellent breakdown of the Texans pass D from Buffalo Rumblings take a look http://www.buffaloru...l-sammy-watkins

After watching the All 22 last week from the Chargers game it is obvious that the Bills Offense needs to move back to the quick, short intermediate west coast timing offense rather than the verticals clear out strategy they had last week. I'm hoping to see a lot of three step drops and curls and slants this Sunday. This will help out the struggling O-Line, neutralize Watt and build EJ's confidence back up.

Based on the research in the article it appears that the Texans style of D will accommodate this.

Weren't most of EJ's completions for passes that traveled less than 10 yards from the LOS?

Weren't most of EJ's completions for passes that traveled less than 10 yards from the LOS?

Passing distance diesnt necessarily imply offensive system. I agree with the original poster.this offense is begging to spread the field. Hacketts version of spreading the field are bunch sets and go route. We need to spread pre snap as well via formations.

My bet is this thread doesn't get much action. They never do.

Passing distance diesnt necessarily imply offensive system. I agree with the original poster.this offense is begging to spread the field. Hacketts version of spreading the field are bunch sets and go route. We need to spread pre snap as well via formations.

Took the words right out of my mouth. +1

A thread that highlights a teams weakness as one of EJ's strengths. I'm not surprised. :nana:

I thought the OP was saying the opposite. WCO.

I want to see some 'speed' packages with Watkins, Goodwin, and Spiller split out. Utilize these 3 players with elite top end speed to pressure the defense mentally and physically. Linebackers aren't going to cover Spiller and you should be able to set up some mismatches and single coverage without help over the top with the defense. If they go to the nickel you can shift back to the run against 6 or 7 in the box instead of the 8 we're seeing now with the offense designed to set up a 3rd and 7 after 1st and 2nd down runs up the middle for a total of 3 yards.

Look at what Chip Kelly is doing in Philly. Along with operating at a faster pace he's designed the offense to set up mismatches in space that favor the offensive player. That's dictating the pace, terms, and matchups of play to the defense. We have the receivers to do things consistent with that philosophy and it might even simplify read and recognition for EJ and get him into some kind of comfort zone which it is obvious he isn't in now.

I often wonder if our offensive line and EJ would benefit more from a quick passing attack much like Chan's or what the Giants are running.

Reduce the amount of time the line has to pass block and limit the amount of reads EJ needs to try and process. I think one of the main reasons why this didn't work with Chan was because Fitz didn't have the ability to consistently throw downfield. EJ at least has the arm strength and the threat of going deep is there.

We've got guys like Watkins and Goodwin can thrive with yards after catch.

This is an interesting thought. After the dismal offensive effort last week, I hope Hackett's gone back to the drawing board.