Quarterback Air Yards: * be warned *

San-O

That's not true, Why So Serious.

The OC calls the play which then determines the routes run by the receivers.

The QB then runs the play and goes through the prescribed progressions to find the open receiver.

If the OC does not run plays with deep routes as the primary route (or every second, third, etc), then it can't be blamed on the QB for not going downfield. Since I don't know what plays/routes are being called, it is not possible to know who is to blame for the lack of a downfield passing game.

Is it possible that the Bills are holding back some downfield passing plays to be used later in the season?

I understand how the this works.

There is still one person that decides where to throw the ball.

That one person can decide to wait on the progression or not.

There is only one person that can make that decision.

90+ percentage of the passing plays have a deeper option.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The comparison to Cinci and Seattle is contained in the air yard stats you linked to. I would think it's obvious. Why does our low air yard stat suggest a "lack of a passing game" and their low air yards doesn't? This stat doesn't seem to take into account offensive design, game situations, play makers teams prefer to use, etc. It's an empty stat.

GO BILLS!!!

id say im not familiar enough to make an argument either way but that 3 games might be part of the problem (with this or any stat ranking).

For instance in 2013 Wilson was 4.43 AY per attempt. 3rd highest in the league.

so perhaps thats part of why you wouldnt accuse seattle of having this issue. if its an issue. like i said, i havent really gotten my hands on this stat to have a strong opinion. surely you are right that context helps, but at some point you would think a number is a big enough outlier to be more than just design.

Seeing the first three games this years and noticing all the passes behind the LOS or just really short, I was looking for something

other than this: however it's close.

I would like something showing 5 10 15 and 20 yard attempts, completions and PCT.

Notice in particular "AY Per Attempt" , AY = Air Yards.

http://www.sportingc...air-yards/2014/

FYI: I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing with our QB, it's just not going to work long term and shows the complete lack of production AND willingness to even call or attempt plays down field.

I wonder how they calculate passes behind the LOS: just a "0" ?

I'm not surprised at all.

I mentioned in a different thread that I don't remember any completed passes down field over in the air over 10 yards, besides the one where Robert Woods bailed out the Buffalo Bills by Jumping out of the stadium.

We're coming up on 16 games now and EJ still doesn't throw the ball too much further than the Line of Scrimmage.

Promo the Robot said the game looks to fast for him, and I think that is an astute assessment. That is why he consistently decides to dump the ball off.

Here is hoping the game slows down for him.

any stat after 3 games doesn't say much IMO b/c just one really good or bad game/play can inflate or detract from numbers. and like others have stated, there are many factors that play into this stat.

I personally want to see EJ hit on the deep ball more consistently. There were a couple of open targets downfield vs. the Chargers that he overthrew.

Do you have any proof of this? None of us have any idea where the plays are designed to go.

Yes I have proof of this.

Watch any game ever.

Atleast 1 Receiver is running more than 10 yards on 90%+ of passing plays.

It doesn't matter if the receiver is the 1st or 5th option. The QB is deciding not to wait to that option develops.

What a misuse of stats! If you sort by % of YAC EJ has the third worst in the league. Guess who's behind him Andy Dalton, guess who's in front of him RUSSELL WILSON. Nice Try-meaningless.

YAC is not inherently good or bad.

The stat has meaning.

It shows that EJ does not throw the ball in the Air for very long as compared to other NFL QBs. That is the meaning of the Stat.

The value you apply to that stat is up for debate.

What is unarguable is that the EJ Manuel is not throwing the ball downfield as much as other QBs in the NFL.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Just win baby.

I'd be interested in what it was for the first two games.

And he seems to be in good company with Wilson and Dalton.

Stats like these should come with a disclaimer. Football is often about getting the ball to your playmakers. Nobody can argue that Freddy and CJ aren't play makers or that Sammy on a short crossing route isn't a threat as well; his TD against Miami traveled two yards across the LOS.

GO BILLS!!!

Absolutely. That can't be dismissed.

YAC is not inherently good or bad.

The stat has meaning.

It shows that EJ does not throw the ball in the Air for very long as compared to other NFL QBs. That is the meaning of the Stat.

The value you apply to that stat is up for debate.

What is unarguable is that the EJ Manuel is not throwing the ball downfield as much as other QBs in the NFL.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Just win baby.

Of course it means EJ is not throwing the ball downfield as much as some QBS. The point is that it doesn't mean you can't be successful.

Watch any game ever.

It doesn't matter if the receiver is the 1st or 5th option. The QB is deciding not to wait to that option develops.

Like I thought. No proof. Just another silly statement. You have on clue how the plays are designed. The more you post, I'm thinking you have no clue about football at all.

Like I thought. No proof. Just another silly statement. You have on clue how the plays are designed. The more you post, I'm thinking you have no clue about football at all.

Just so you are clear.

You are stating that 90% of passing plays DO NOT have a Receiver that runs 10 yards down the field.

Great argument, bro!

Why would I need any proof or attempt to engage in your silly argument?

EJ Manuel throws the ball on average 2.28 yards in the air. Why would you ever argue that there are not deeper options?

Do you watch football past 1940?

Do you think every receiver stays with in 2.28 yards of the LOS?

FACT: 90+ percentage of the passing plays have a deeper option.

You can choose to argue the opposite if you would like but I think everyone know who is clueless in that argument.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Watch any game ever.

This is short-sighted. Often times receivers run certain routes just to clear certain areas. Not every receiver is a given option on every play.

GO BILLS!!!

This is short-sighted. Often times receivers run certain routes just to clear certain areas. Not every receiver is a given option on every play.

GO BILLS!!!

It is not short-sighted. It is accurate.

EJ decides where to throw the Ball.

EJ is consistently deciding to throw very short.

EJ has deeper option than 2.33 yards on most passing plays.

These are all simple facts.

Yes the play called may have a deeper option as a later read, correct. However we have almost a full season's worth of game film and stats. EJ Manuel does not decide to air out the ball as frequently as other QBs in the NFL. It is a fact that cannot be argued against.

If EJ's consistent decision to throw short is a good thing or bad thing can be argued one way or another.

EJ throws a nice deep ball but it needs it to be in play action and mostly on 1st down. Against the Texans that will be there possibly. We also have to remember the windy conditions last Sunday and the Chargers corners blanketing the Bills receivers.

Seeing the first three games this years and noticing all the passes behind the LOS or just really short, I was looking for something

other than this: however it's close.

I would like something showing 5 10 15 and 20 yard attempts, completions and PCT.

Notice in particular "AY Per Attempt" , AY = Air Yards.

http://www.sportingc...air-yards/2014/

FYI: I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing with our QB, it's just not going to work long term and shows the complete lack of production AND willingness to even call or attempt plays down field.

I wonder how they calculate passes behind the LOS: just a "0" ?

A couple years ago I looked at that stat when the Pats had Gronk and Hernandez and Welker and their offense was a juggernaut. Know who was down there? Brady. Another QB too, that is widely recognized as quite good - it was Rodgers I think.

You might note that Dalton of the 3-0 2014 playoff team Bengals and Wilson of the defending superbowl champ Broncs are flanking EJ in air yard percentage.

It doesn't necessarily mean what it's being said to mean here eg "very short passing game to backs out of the backfield", San-O.

What it means coupled with what you see on Bills tape is

1) Bills don't throw very much (we knew that from the # of pass attempts, which show the Bills in the bottom 1/3 of the league along with SEA, CIN, WSH).

2) When they do throw, they are getting a good amount of YAC from their receivers, which is linked to receiver health and longevity actually - means the guy isn't getting hammered right after the catch.

3) And in fact, a good number of their passes are dink-n-dunk passes. Please keep in mind a number of notable offenses have been run on dink-n-dunk passes. There is nothing wrong with dink-n-dunk passes that move the chains. Manuel's YPA is running 7.05. Some people (Edward's Arm comes to mind) claim the benchmark is >7.