Calling all contractors...

mrags

My wife and I are currently looking at a few homes and have found some that are absolutely horrible. Some that are absolutely amazing. And a few in between. 2 in particular that we either love or have a ton of potential.

The one I love, has a small issue, the roof comes down at an angle that cuts off in the closet and lowers the ceiling height. It also does this in theater bath. On the other side of the wall however is an area that is 10-15ft wide where the roof comes to a point at the outside wall. It also doesn't have a vaulted ceiling. Only 7' ceilings.

One thought of mine, is since the rest of this house is immaculate and doesn't need any other work, I'm wondering about what the cost might be to build onto this room. The flooring is there as it's over the garage, how much might it cost to build a dormer off this room to increases ceiling height to vaulted ceilings as well as add that 10-15ft of storage room into livable space by increasing it to a walkin closet/dressing room, and a master bath.

The size of roof that would need to be added would be approx 20x30.

Another home were looking at is the exact opposite. It needs a ton of work. Instead of just needing 1 thing, it needs everything. In return or is much cheaper. Like 100k cheaper.

It has a master bedroom with a master bath. Both are small. However through a doorway in back of bedroom, is a huge room that is approx 20x15, then through that room is another room that is approx 20x6. Down the center of this room, the floor is a bit pitched. Why? I have no idea. I'm sore it could just be leveled but at what cost and is there any additional worries I should have.

My thoughts are to knock out the wall in between the 20x15 room and the 20x6 room and create a giants after bedroom while using the old master as a wall in closet/dressing room in to the way to the master bath.

With that said, the roof may be the issue. Again... 7' ceilings. My thought is, maybe not needed right away, but in the future, when a new roof is put on, what would the cost be to increase the roof pitch and create a vaulted ceiling to this space. Approximately 20x20.

I just crazy? I know I could spend more on a house that just has more of a move in ready feel to it, but these really are what I like but just need a little bit of love to make it our own.

I'm not well versed in the world of construction. Is this something that might cost me $10k? Or something that might cost me $50k?

And I'm not sore if I should be worried about the slight pitch and unevenness of the floor in the space I'd like to make my master bedroom. It runs down the center of the house it seems from left to right. Or front and back. It's very slight. A ball might not even roll on it. But it's definitely uneven. Even the door in the space stops at a certain point on the floor in that spot.

Advise? Words of wisdom? Expectations?

All are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not a pro, but as a weekend warrior I have some thoughts:

The area over the garage may present challenges for adding a room. Unless you have trusses ceiling joists (which I would doubt) or a beam that reduces the span of your garage, it may be expensive to get engineered floor joists that can span that distance and give enough support for a floor.

As far as the wall you want to knock down, you need to first determine if it is a load bearing wall. If so you won't be knocking it down without significant expense if at all.

Roofing can be very tricky but not always. If you've got some pics of the area and roof you're looking to renovate I could tell you more.

Also, the cost to remedy uneven floors will depend on the cause, the quality and type of flooring. It's hard to estimate without a better idea of what you're working with.

Edited by Rob's House

I'm not a pro, but as a weekend warrior I have some thoughts:

The area over the garage may present challenges for adding a room. Unless you have trusses ceiling joists (which I would doubt) or a beam that reduces the span of your garage, it may be expensive to get engineered floor joists that can span that distance and give enough support for a floor.

As far as the wall you want to knock down, you need to first determine if it is a load bearing wall. If so you won't be knocking it down without significant expense if at all.

Roofing can be very tricky but not always. If you've got some pics of the area and roof you're looking to renovate I could tell you more.

Also, the cost to remedy uneven floors will depend on the cause, the quality and type of flooring. It's hard to estimate without a better idea of what you're working with.

the area over the garage has a room now. Pretty sure it's got floor joists in there. It's just got a slanted ceiling like being in an attic actually. I was thinking it would be like kicking the roof out and adding a dormer. Now as far as if the joists are strong enough to hold the weight of a master bath and closet, that's another story. But I would think it could. It's for the closet and small bathroom now using the same flooring area as it is.

The other one, I don't think the wall is load bearing so I don't think that would be the issue. It's more of the issue with the very low pitch on the roof. So slight you've got to be across the street to see it. And the slight slope in the floor. I've got pics but I doubt I'd be able to link them here because they are probably too large of a file.

Here's how you check:

Does it have a floor?

Then it has joists.

well. I don't own the house so it's pretty rough to go and check right this minute.

In all seriousness. It's like an attic. It's a crawl space type room. I have no idea what's in there. It was shown to me by the owner for a quick 20 seconds whole peaking my head through a half door around a corner.