Roger Goodell Presser at 3 PM EDT: Ravens/NFL Coverup?

26CornerBlitz

you mean like if a player attempted to kill someone by running her over in a car on chippewa at 3:30 am and then fleeing the scene ?

Not really a lot of difference is there... He didn't even get a suspension for that. It was only his weapons charge in 2009 then a suspension and then a trade.....I guess the trade showed the team wouldn't tolerate the behavior but still if I recall there was no one forcing Marshawn to come forward with the truth from the hit and run and the team attempted to influence the outcome toward Marshawn....Its a whole new context now. Disappointed that I wasn't outraged then......

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't all you people the ones calling Kobe's victim a gold digger?

That's because people judge situations by the evidence at hand. Kobe's accuser had another dude's semen in her panties, and refused to testify at trial. The criminal charges were dropped, his accuser sued, and they ended up settling.

To be fair, there was plenty of outrage over both Ray Lewis and especially Carruth directed at Tags. A lot on here in fact. It just wasn't the age of social media, the rules have changed.

Agreed. I remember SNL made a fantastic cartoon about Ray Lewis at the time that all went down, basically putting him into the plot of the Lion King and hopping into a limo anytime a character died, saying "I didn't see nothin!" And then they made fun of his dance.

The "where was all the outrage when X" people are basically talking about the olden days before they had broadband internet.

Edited by jimmy10

Who do people calling for his head think should take over? Do they think said person would have done better in regards to domestic violence?

Has the player's union expressed support for reforming the personal conduct code before this? Do they now? Why isn't DeMaurice Smith under fire?

Who do people calling for his head think should take over? Do they think said person would have done better in regards to domestic violence?

Has the player's union expressed support for reforming the personal conduct code before this? Do they now? Why isn't DeMaurice Smith under fire?

As best as I can tell the NFLPA has simply continued to operate on what the players through the ExComm and player leadership judge to be in the best interest of players. Back in the day when the players were clearly and merely employees (A time period from the founding of the modern NFL til the players got their butts kicked by the owners in the lockout f the mid 80s) the NFLPA followed the traditional AFL-CIO union role and made various attempts to raise wages, improve work conditions around the edges and reflexively oppose all NFL sanctions of individual player behavior.

However this changed when the traditional union types were beaten so badly in the mid-80s lockout. This gave a talented tenth of players who in addition to being super athletes had good brains and they sold a plan to their fellow athletes to threaten to decertify the NFLPA.

This would have forced the owners to operate in a free market system and rather than do this the team owners aggreed to the CBA which essentially made the players partners in the social compact.

The NFLPA has changed in details but the goal has been the same represent the playera interests as expressed by the ExComm of the NFLPA. That ExCom has changed and matured over the years (as seen in the surge of Upshaw) and the players needs and goals have changed as they progressed from mere employees to partners to arguably the majority partners in the NFL.

I went ahead and removed the strangely irrelevant parts of your post that didn't answer the question in anyway.

Anyways, why is the NFLPA who has actively negotiated against domestic cases being subject to discipline not under fire? Why are players calling for Goodell's head when they have actively supported their Union leaders who have taken this stance?

"I mailed it anonymously .... I knew there was a possibility Mr. Miller may not get the video, but I hoped it would land in the right hands."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11589797/official-says-ray-rice-video-was-sent-nfl-security-chief-jeffrey-miller

Miller, in London preparing for the Oakland Raiders-Miami Dolphins game Sunday, issued a statement to the AP on Thursday night through an NFL spokesman.

"I unequivocally deny that I received at any time a copy of the video, and I had not watched it until it was made public on September 8," he said.

Edited by papazoid

I went ahead and removed the strangely irrelevant parts of your post that didn't answer the question in anyway.

Anyways, why is the NFLPA who has actively negotiated against domestic cases being subject to discipline not under fire? Why are players calling for Goodell's head when they have actively supported their Union leaders who have taken this stance?

My guess is that the NFLPA knows they are in a different place than in the mid-80s when they pursued an AFL-CIO type strategy and were mere employees of the NFL team owners. When the Ed Garvey led traditional union types got smashed by the owners, this gave the talented tenth of players led by Gene Upshaw the opening where they sold their fellow players on the decertification threat. The NFLPA won a new deal reflected in the CBA which essentially made the players partners with the team owners.

The CBA represented not only the owners running as fast they could from operating in a traditional free market, but the new CBA basically expanded the social contract which team owners operated under since the days of Pete Rozelle to include the players as partners i the social contract which replaced the free market as the NFL profit making framework.

This movement away from the free market simply revolutionized the NFL because the social compact allowed for making even greater profits as the TV nets proved willing to pay billions for a stable product rather than the mere millions a good franchise could make in a free market.

The NFLPA concentrated on re-arranging the profit sharing cut when Gene Upshaw dictated the end of the designated gross arrangement and demanded that the player cut of the cap start with a 6.

The NFLPA changed under the new arrangement by dropping their reflexive opposition to all discipline and instead accepting draconian punishment by Goodell since in the big picture it left NFLPA hands clean of the needed disciplining of its own members for the greater good of profits.

However. Goodell has seemed out lived his usefulness to the NFLPA and they are now looking for an opportunity to at least get a larger % of the profits (perhaps the player cut should start with a 7) though alternately I would guess is the players can find a way to simply cut the owners out of the picture and thus inherit the owners 39.5% cut they would be happy to do so.

In the end the team owners are really an unnecessary part of the equation (see the Green Bay Packers) and if the NFLPA can find a way to cut them out they would. The owners really add little value to the product so get rid of them.