Is Stephon Gilmore injury prone? Fragile?

San-O

I think it is pretty early to be judging Gilmore. I thought that he played well as a rookie and then broke his arm last year. He couldn't strength train for what 8-10 weeks and then came back with that huge club on his hand.

Why do some want to label guys as busts so early? Sometimes it just takes time and good health for some of these players to really perform well. Many here wanted to run Aaron Williams out of town and it turns out he is pretty damn good. McKelvin also played well last year after a few frustrating years.

Too early to be judging??? 3/4 of this board was ready to replace EJ up until sunday after only 10 games as a rook and 1 full offseason! Gilmore is a DB who's been average when on the field and missed plenty of time during his early career!

I think he will be a above average CB but never a true #1 Shutdown CB which being drafted so high, is what fans and the team "expected" him to be.

But to call it too early to be judging... this board will judge EVERYONE based on a series, let alone a season!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely injury prone and has had so-so results on the field. I personally think he still has a ways to go before we can say he is capable of covering the opponents best WR and shutting them down! If he can stay healthy for an extended period of time hopefully we'll be able to determine if he's legit by the end of this season.

Too early to be judging??? 3/4 of this board was ready to replace EJ up until sunday after only 10 games as a rook and 1 full offseason! Gilmore is a DB who's been average when on the field and missed plenty of time during his early career!

I think he will be a above average CB but never a true #1 Shutdown CB which being drafted so high, is what fans and the team "expected" him to be.

But to call it too early to be judging... this board will judge EVERYONE based on a series, let alone a season!!!

I think it's a little different with the CB position. With a CB, you shouldn't have a steep learning curve. A top-10 CB should come in and excel pretty quickly. We are in year 3 with Gilmore; I think it is fair to judge him.

He has been good at times, injured at others, and inconsistent. I can't recall him ever making a pick based on a great play on the ball, and really can't recall him making any big plays.

Overall, he has been a bit disappointing, at least based on my expectations.

I think it's a little different with the CB position. With a CB, you shouldn't have a steep learning curve. A top-10 CB should come in and excel pretty quickly. We are in year 3 with Gilmore; I think it is fair to judge him.

He has been good at times, injured at others, and inconsistent. I can't recall him ever making a pick based on a great play on the ball, and really can't recall him making any big plays.

Overall, he has been a bit disappointing, at least based on my expectations.

McKelvin made a jump around year 4. Gilmore still has a chance.

Whatever game he comes back, I'd bet the opponent purposely game plan to attack him in the passing.

Most opponents do gameplan to get the ball to their #1 wide receiver.

McKelvin made a jump around year 4. Gilmore still has a chance.

Most opponents do gameplan to get the ball to their #1 wide receiver.

In my opinion McKelvin always stuck to his man, yet had bad ball skills. Thats all he was missing the whole time. Gilmore doesnt have the awareness to stay with his receiver. He uses hands way too much and his ball skills are questionable to this point.

And to your second point. When Revis, Sherman, and Charles Woodson (obviously more earlier in his career) is out there on the 1, teams find other ways to move the ball. And find other ways to get the number one in the game.

In my opinion McKelvin always stuck to his man, yet had bad ball skills. Thats all he was missing the whole time. Gilmore doesnt have the awareness to stay with his receiver. He uses hands way too much and his ball skills are questionable to this point.

And to your second point. When Revis, Sherman, and Charles Woodson (obviously more earlier in his career) is out there on the 1, teams find other ways to move the ball. And find other ways to get the number one in the game.

Gilmore isn't Revis or Sherman. I think we all know that. I feel confident saying he'll never be a top 5 CB in the NFL. He's disappointing as a top 10 pick, but there's still time. Personally, I feel like Gilmore messes up at crucial times too much, but he's not awful.

Edited by FireChan

I think he's just a baby. He gets burned and he's like ouch I pulled a hammy. The guy is always "hurt." At this point, our best CB is Corey Graham. Thank god for him or we would have been in trouble. McKelvin looked terrible last week and all preseason (when on the field) and I'm not expecting much out of Gilmore if he plays. Graham needs to be on the field imo

He's not injury prone, he's injured. i bet you guys were saying the same stuff about Kyle williams with the achilles and Fred two seasons ago. "EJ had a good game so lets hate on someone else". If anything Graham should replace McLovin before he gets exposed even more than last week.

We like to B word and moan?

maybe its just me.

He's not injury prone, he's injured. i bet you guys were saying the same stuff about Kyle williams with the achilles and Fred two seasons ago. "EJ had a good game so lets hate on someone else". If anything Graham should replace McLovin before he gets exposed even more than last week.

well this is where youhave exposed yourself.

We have been bitching about about Kyle forever and loving him too.

But Leodis just came of a fantastic year . I mean like " fanatastic "

If he is shedding rust form lack of preseason and ota etc well sure he was not as effective as we migtht like.

lets give them all a bit of space how about ?

Edited by 3rdand12

There is no objective record (yet) where one should lay this label on him as I try to apply an objective measurable stats to "earn" the dubious title of injury prone.

To me I define injury prone as missing three or more games in a short order to injuries to different parts of the body. This player is prone to injuries by genetics, their style of play or whatever in that they prove to prone to get serious injuries to their body from playing the game.

Rob Johnson was injury prone. In a single season he managed to miss games due to a series of sometimes bizarre injuries through normal game play. He got sacked and suffered a concussion and went to the bench. He got tackled and suffered an elbow injury which made it impossible to pass the ball. He once fell on the ball when he was tackled in some odd way and had a deep bruise to his sternum which benched him. His collarbone broke when he was tackled.

This is injury prone.

Objectively this does not fit Gilmore. He started 16 games as a rookie. The exact opposite of injury prone. He missed 5 games last year, but this was due to a single injury of a broken arm. It is true this injury lessened his play all season even after he came off IR, but I judge this as more like Jimbo's recurring bursa sack problem which he was incredibly gutsy in playing through even though the injury limited his effectiveness through the end of his career.

This year seems to be a different problem with a groin pull. However, I do not think one can label him injury prone unless he gets injured again (and I would say twice more this season with other injuries from stuff like falling in the shower or changing directions while running.

To HPs post there's nothing so far that shows that his style of play leaves him more susceptible (takes to many hits, clumsy, etc) or that his body has a weakness (multiple concussions, recurring injuries to the same spot, etc...).

So far he's simply shown that things happen when you play football

Gilmore isn't Revis or Sherman.

No, but he sticks to the #1 WR much better than Sherman does.

When Revis, Sherman, and Charles Woodson (obviously more earlier in his career) is out there on the 1, teams find other ways to move the ball.

When Sherman is out there teams love to throw to their #1 as the next time Sherman covers a team's #1 will be the first time.

As for Gilmore the jury is still out. He was very good in the last 10 or so games of his rookie year. Very good. Last year he played poorly with that cast on and didn't pick up his play until late in the season. If it wasn't for the way refs are throwing flags in regards to contact I'd have no worries about Gilmore stepping up this season as a guy who can be relied upon to shut down a teams #1. However the ticky-tac flags we saw in pre-season leave me with some doubt as to how Gilmore will do without his physical style of play. Perhaps if he got to shadow a teams #3 all game he'd look fantastic...

• 2 weeks later...

What says u now?

Whatever game he comes back, I'd bet the opponent purposely game plan to attack him in the passing.

winner!

Gilmore is not fragile, nor injury prone......

He sux And has no charisma

Edited by PO'14