Has Roger Goodell's Handling of Ray Rice Incident Devalued the NFL

BonJovi

So a law enforcement official that did not have permission to distribute the tape, who did so anyway, is supposed to give permission to an AP writer to publish his name?

You're showing a fair amount of naivety here if you believe that.

Also, the AP report said that the officer played a voicemail from a league official saying they received it, and also had an email saying it was received and thanking them.

I'm pretty sure anyone that reported that would eventually be asked by investigators to produce such evidence, so writing it when it isn't true would be a pretty grievous offense.

This one is particularly astounding.

Do you honestly think in a cover up that we can believe everything we are hearing?

Now who's being naive?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you honestly think in a cover up that we can believe everything we are hearing?

Now who's being naive?

There's a cover-up now?

I'd sooner believe the video got lost in the mail room than I'd believe Goodell thought he could suppress evidence from a criminal case. People are fundamentally dumb. Organizations of people are organizationally dumb. Never attribute to malice that which you can attribute to simple human stupidity.

There's a cover-up now?

I'd sooner believe the video got lost in the mail room than I'd believe Goodell thought he could suppress evidence from a criminal case. People are fundamentally dumb. Organizations of people are organizationally dumb. Never attribute to malice that which you can attribute to simple human stupidity.

I think it may have been more harbaugh asking the commish for a little help keeping a lid on it to protect the image of the NFL.

Harbaugh says I seen it, its not good, we don't want to air it.

(again, I'm just speculating and don't have anything at all of any real substance.)

I think it may have been more harbaugh asking the commish for a little help keeping a lid on it to protect the image of the NFL.

Harbaugh says I seen it, its not good, we don't want to air it.

(again, I'm just speculating and don't have anything at all of any real substance.)

So there's no reason to think any of this actually happened but you believe it nonetheless?

I think the policies that they had in place of castigating those for some of the drug policies more so than the domestic abuse charges were severely out of whack - So a reform was necessary. Having said that, this has been completely overblown, yes, the fact that some NFL executive allegedly may have seen the video contradicts what was said but let's not kid ourselves, there has been a witch hunt ever since the revelations of the tape. I'm just amazed that there is a possibility that Goodel's job may be in jeopardy.

I think the policies that they had in place of castigating those for some of the drug policies more so than the domestic abuse charges were severely out of whack - So a reform was necessary. Having said that, this has been completely overblown, yes, the fact that some NFL executive allegedly may have seen the video contradicts what was said but let's not kid ourselves, there has been a witch hunt ever since the revelations of the tape. I'm just amazed that there is a possibility that Goodel's job may be in jeopardy.

The problem IMO isn't so much about the severity of the punishment and how Goodell handled the whole situation.

The problem is If Goodell is caught in a lie/and or cover up, his credability goes down the tubes IMO.

Edited by Donald Duck

This entire story has been "much ado about nothing". No, I'm not talking about Rice punching his then-girlfriend- that was emetic and appalling. I'm referring to the media coverage of the NFL, Goodell and the supposed "cover up". What has happened to the "press" from days of yore? The media today is chock-full of dimwitted morons who represent the idiocy of today. All we have to do locally is read the rag that is "The Buffalo News"- it's only good for lining the bottom of a birdcage. Journalistic integrity- encompassing facts and pertinent information has been superseded by hyperbole, rhetoric and conspiracy theory. The "sensational" is all that matters. This sordid episode smacks of the Miami bullying "scandal" from last year. ESPN, Profootballtalk and jackasses with twitter accounts (masquerading as journalists) will be the ruination of this great game eventually. Why? Because the game is violent- players are concussed- oh woe is me! People need to unbunch their panties, grow a backbone, and just enjoy the game (knowing damn well that not every one of the 53 players on our team's roster are Nobel laureates or angels).

I think the NFL is getting its' "come-upance"...these are very different times than the ones that the NFL built its' empire on. The game will always be great, Americans will always love it, but the league, and the way it conducts/had conducted business is getting a lot of negative light shined on it.

So excuse the public for not butting out ... maybe ultimately by doing more butting in ... this huge negative might some day turn into a positive. I have a beautiful 17 year old daughter; and I'll be God Damned if I ever "butt out" when it comes to a topic like this, knowing that she will not be immune from this as she continues on to her adult life.

I see.... So you are raging mad at Ray Rice for TKO'ing his girlfriend/wife. And because of that, you are taking out your aggression on Roger Goodell. It is like you are holding Roger Goodell accountable for all the duechebags in America who beat their wives/girlfriends. It just doesn't make sense to me. Why don't you direct your rage at Ray Rice instead of Roger Goodell? Wouldn't you agree that the real person to blame for wrongdoing here is Ray Rice? Come on man....

If you are really that mad and want to defend all women on behalf of your daughter, then why don't you go hunt down Ray Rice and punch him in the face? Eye for an eye kind of deal? Then that will make the news and everyone can say he got what was coming to him.

This entire story has been "much ado about nothing". No, I'm not talking about Rice punching his then-girlfriend- that was emetic and appalling. I'm referring to the media coverage of the NFL, Goodell and the supposed "cover up". What has happened to the "press" from days of yore? The media today is chock-full of dimwitted morons who represent the idiocy of today. All we have to do locally is read the rag that is "The Buffalo News"- it's only good for lining the bottom of a birdcage. Journalistic integrity- encompassing facts and pertinent information has been superseded by hyperbole, rhetoric and conspiracy theory. The "sensational" is all that matters. This sordid episode smacks of the Miami bullying "scandal" from last year. ESPN, Profootballtalk and jackasses with twitter accounts (masquerading as journalists) will be the ruination of this great game eventually. Why? Because the game is violent- players are concussed- oh woe is me! People need to unbunch their panties, grow a backbone, and just enjoy the game (knowing damn well that not every one of the 53 players on our team's roster are Nobel laureates or angels).

You are absolutely correct. This is nothing more than the media pushing people's emotional buttons so that it gets people mad and makes them pay attention. That way people tune in with their eyes and ears glued to the ongoing saga. That is how the media makes money. It is a shame how small a percentage of Americans actually realizes this is what they are doing.

No. The Liberals need to stop being so over sensitive and butt hurt. If I were Rice I would sue the NFL and the Ravens. He was already punished and now that they are bowing down to liberal peer pressure they cost the man his career?

Sue.

enough of the bleeding heart liberal stuff.

smoke a joint get suspended for 2 to 4 games.

knock a woman unconscious get 2 games?

Are you being SERIOUS?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

enough of the bleeding heart liberal stuff.

smoke a joint miss up to 4 games.

punch out a woman get 2 games?

Are you being SERIOUS?

False info. Again.

I swear, some of you people need to figure out what you're talking about, you only ruin your own cases.

No. The Liberals need to stop being so over sensitive and butt hurt. If I were Rice I would sue the NFL and the Ravens. He was already punished and now that they are bowing down to liberal peer pressure they cost the man his career?

Sue.

The triumphant return of an icon!

False info. Again.

I swear, some of you people need to figure out what you're talking about, you only ruin your own cases.

not false

I estimated game bans due to drugs

I didn't estimate the 2 games (Before he was cut by the Ravens AND then suspended indefinitely by the NFL)

Wes Welker, who is currently one game into a four-game suspension

Josh Gordon is facing a year long suspension for failing a drug test by the slimest of margins

If you want to rant BS, then may I suggest that you create a thread in the PPP and post all the liberal hater filled rants you want

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Sue.

I wouldn't call this liberal as much as the PC Nazis. As a liberal, I distance myself from this crap as Goodell should have suspended him 4-8 games initially. Not made any more press conferences about it, or let the Ravens make any press conferences either with Ray and Janay. The bigger issue all along was the lenient punishment when he is suspending pot heads and guys for drinking beer at home for longer. This inconsistency was mindnumbing and baffling, and it got brought to a bigger head when the video they already had was released to the public. The hasty response by the Ravens (who were sticking by him until this point) and double punishment by the league makes Goodell look like the ineffective leader that he is, and should not be getting paid more than Peyton Gump or any other player at this point.

False info. Again.

The triumphant return of an icon!

He is correct, a second pot test positive was 4 games and a third is worth a season. That is !@#$ed up when Rice's punishment was so much less for a more severe issue.