Conti helmet to helmet on Woods

Gasjuggler

Like Tom Petty sings: U believe what you want to believe!

Game 1 of season and Woods almost got a huge concussion trying to pull down a really high pass. Guess what Gug, if that pass was a foot lower, he still catches it! However if it was an inch higher, he never completes it.

Go see the replay. Woods catches that pass less than 50% of the time. Just wait when the cold weather comes around.

Had he been concussed, everyone is pissed at EJ. But since nothing happened, most consider it a perfect pass!

:wallbash:

I have not seen a single person say it was a perfect pass...I've seen quite a few people say it was a "good enough" pass, and it was...let's not let perfect be the enemy of good here.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Tom Petty sings tunelessly drones, to the extreme aural pain of music listeners everywhere: U believe what you want to believe!

Game 1 of season and Woods almost got a huge concussion trying to pull down a really high pass. Guess what Gug, if that pass was a foot lower, he still catches it!

Go see the replay. Woods catches that pass less than 50% of the time. Just wait when the cold weather comes around.

Which play are you talking about.

Because I just looked that play up on Game Rewind. If you're talking about the play at 9:37 in the first quarter, Woods jumps for it because 1) Manuel throws it high because Conte is in position to break on the ball otherwise, and 2) Woods hesitated a half-step (purposely, to get separation from Conte), meaning he was not at the spot where Manuel threw the ball and he had to jump for it. That was actually great ball placement by Manuel, and a great route by Woods getting separation.

But at 5:06 in the 4th...that ball just sailed on Manuel, and Woods had no one within three yards of him. But he certainly didn't "almost get a huge concussion" from it, because there was no one within three yards of him.

Which play are you talking about.

But at 5:06 in the 4th...that ball just sailed on Manuel, and Woods had no one within three yards of him. But he certainly didn't "almost get a huge concussion" from it, because there was no one within three yards of him.

You mean Conti didnt hammer him with a helmet?

So just so I'm clear, allow me to summarize what I believe it is you are saying:

EJ threw a pass to a well-covered Woods.

The pass was thrown high, out of reach of the defender.

However ... not out of reach of Woods, who caught the pass.

You are criticizing EJ because the ball wasn't thrown "on the numbers."

You are criticizing EJ because Woods could have been concussed.

Woods was not concussed.

EJ threw a completion for positive yardage.

You're criticizing this.

Please confirm that this is what you're saying, PO'tiba.

Here's the throw in the fourth to set us up for the go-ahead field goal.

As you can see, EJ has a DT with his hand up. He's also looking at a LB and CB in zone coverage.

So, think about what EJ is seeing before you question the placement. In order for Woods to make a play, he has to get it over the DT and LB and away from the CB. He knows where the opening in the zone is and where Woods should be.

He does what he's supposed to do and gives Woods an opportunity to make the play.

EJthrow_zpsa670a961.jpg

So just so I'm clear, allow me to summarize what I believe it is you are saying:

EJ threw a pass to a well-covered Woods. ( not well covered )

The pass was thrown high, out of reach of the defender. ( no defender around him )

However ... not out of reach of Woods, who caught the pass. ( Woods caught it by a perfect timed leap )

You are criticizing EJ because the ball wasn't thrown "on the numbers." ( not criticizing, saying that dangerous for Bills receivers )

You are criticizing EJ because Woods could have been concussed. ( Yes it would have been EJ's fault since he made Woods defenseless )

Woods was not concussed. ( You are right )

EJ threw a completion for positive yardage. ( You are right )

You're criticizing this. ( you put words in my mouth, nice try )

Please confirm that this is what you're saying, PO'tiba.

As you can see, EJ has a DT with his hand up.( its clear by the distance of the ball thrown that the DT didnt have his hands up at the time of the throw - So nothing to see here. )

He's also looking at a LB and CB in zone coverage.( agree )

So, think about what EJ is seeing before you question the placement. In order for Woods to make a play, he has to get it over the DT and LB and away from the CB. He knows where the opening in the zone is and where Woods should be. ( the ball finished further than that Still Photo, so the ball was not close to those players )

He does what he's supposed to do and gives Woods an opportunity to make the play. ( fully agree, Woods made the play despite a bad pass )

EJthrow_zpsa670a961.jpg

Like Tom Petty sings: U believe what you want to believe!

Game 1 of season and Woods almost got a huge concussion trying to pull down a really high pass. Guess what Gug, if that pass was a foot lower, he still catches it! However if it was an inch higher, he never completes it.

Had he been concussed, everyone is pissed at EJ. But since nothing happened, most consider it a perfect pass!

:wallbash:

I dont get this. You think a guy going high to catch a ball has more of a chance to get concussed? I would think a lower throw would be more likely to concuss a player, one that was leading the reciever into a defender or something of that sort. It's hard to hit a guy in the helmet when his head is in the clouds while elevating to catch a pass.

I dont get this. You think a guy going high to catch a ball has more of a chance to get concussed? I would think a lower throw would be more likely to concuss a player, one that was leading the reciever into a defender or something of that sort. It's hard to hit a guy in the helmet when his head is in the clouds while elevating to catch a pass.

Defenseless receiver. Twice in 1 game. Go see the Mike WIlliams throw early in the game.

Haha, PO'14.

No problem. Keep the blinders on. WOODS, WILLIAMS, WATKINS, FRED, SPILLER are going to make EJ LOOK GOOD!

And im on for the ride! PlayOff14 BABY!

Defenseless receiver. Twice in 1 game. Go see the Mike WIlliams throw early in the game.

No problem. Keep the blinders on. WOODS, WILLIAMS, WATKINS, FRED, SPILLER are going to make EJ LOOK GOOD!

And im on for the ride! PlayOff14 BABY!

No, I'm saying you insinuated that a player going up high to catch a ball has more of a chance to be concussed? That doesnt make sense. Defensless reciever, ok.

As you can see, EJ has a DT with his hand up. He's also looking at a LB and CB in zone coverage.

So, think about what EJ is seeing before you question the placement. In order for Woods to make a play, he has to get it over the DT and LB and away from the CB. He knows where the opening in the zone is and where Woods should be.

He does what he's supposed to do and gives Woods an opportunity to make the play.

EJthrow_zpsa670a961.jpg

THANK YOU.

EJ had to get that ball over multiple people to get it to Woods. The (vertical) window was pretty small. EJ actually made a hell of a good throw.

The helmet-to-helmet contact was entirely on Conti and he was fined. Should have been flagged. He could have wrapped Woods up but chose to lower his head.

I'm not sure why people are so determined to prove EJ sucks that they ignore what's in front of them.

Edited by BobChalmers

Thank you.

EJ had to get that ball over multiple people to get it to Woods. The window was pretty small.

I'm not sure why people are so determined to prove EJ sucks that they ignore what's in front of them.

That is a still frame. Where did he actually catch the ball. The window wasnt that small. But Woods made a hell of a catch!

Thank you.

EJ had to get that ball over multiple people to get it to Woods. The window was pretty small.

The helmet-to-helmet contact was entirely on Conti and he was fined. Should have been flagged. He could have wrapped Woods up but chose to lower his head.

Imagine if EJ did what we're used to seeing and threw the ball low to get it deflected by the DT...

"EJ had a wide open Woods and threw it into the lineman! Worst QB EVERRRR!!"

Or if he didn't throw it at all...

That is a still frame. Where did he actually catch the ball. The window wasnt that small. But Woods made a hell of a catch!

Bottom line, man: The QB threw a catchable ball for a completion. Not to mention, had he not thrown it high, it would NOT have been a completion.

EJ did a good thing, here. On more than one level.

They both deserve credit.

Yes, because the notion of "putting the ball where only the receiver can get it," is foreign. And "throwing it up and letting the receiver go up and come down with it," was never employed by any good quarterbacks.

We get it. Your guy is terrific & can do no wrong. EJ had a very good game but that pass to Woods was poorly thrown.

We get it. Your guy is terrific & can do no wrong. EJ had a very good game but that pass to Woods was poorly thrown.

I don't read it that way at all. It was a good enough throw, not perfect.

It certainly wasn't poorly thrown.

It achieved the desired result.

Let's move on.