ESPN Power Rankings/Watkins Trade

Gabe Northern

If you think Watkins is a generational talent, then you absolutely make the move to get him. The only other generational talents at the receiver position that have played in my lifetime are Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Calvin Johnson. If that's who Watkins is, then it doesn't matter what you gave up next season. Even if EJ isn't the answer, and they wind up deciding to try and acquire a new QB in 2015, they'd have him throwing to Watkins with two years under his belt, and Robert Woods with three.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who think winning will make the trade worth it:

If I you put your paycheck on black on the roulette wheel and it comes up black, was it a smart move that showed confidence?

I don't think so. The odds made it a bad move. I think that the odds from the (supposedly unbiased) ESPN rankings and other sources suggest the odds of a top-10 pick are pretty high. If Watkins isn't a superduperstar, that is a bad trade.

To be a great team you have to role the bones. Playing it safe gets you 6-10 every year. Watkins is not a risk, he is pure talent and will quiet all the crows on this board.

Browns expected to draft 3rd and 4th next April. See: http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/1

Watkins would have to be Hall of Fame bound for this trade to make sense.

And how will he get into the HOF if the QB is not good and the head coach MIGHT be even worse? Oh, and how do you like Hackett?

The above doesn't even take into account the real possibility of any player getting injured.

I hated this trade from day 1. HATED it!!! That said, many posters I respect are ok with it; some even like it.

I don't quite liken it to Whitner in 06. That was as dumb as one could possibly imagine. Watkins might even make a bit more sense than wasting a #10 on Gilmore. I suppose that I liken this pick in terms of being stupid somewhere around the Spiller selection, perhaps not quite as bad.

I don't think I agree with the assessment that if it is a later pick next year in round one that it I a good thing.

Doesn't that mean that our first pick will be also that late in second round?

Don't get me wrong, I want them picking 32nd.

Everybody is worried about giving Cle. #1. I say if they are not in playoffs, I want that.

Edited by bonechiller

As I've been saying, the success of this trade depends more on EJ Manuel than Sammy Watkins.

I say it depends on neither. It depends on a guy named Kyle Orton. I would never have thought I would say this in my life, but he's the Bills only chance of meeting 0.500 this year. He'll be starting by the bye if not earlier and may be the only person on the team capable of moving next year's pick out of the top 5.

The only other generational talents at the receiver position that have played in my lifetime are Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Calvin Johnson.

Yes, and look at the teams around them and how it correlated to their teams' success. Rice had 2 HOF QBs throwing to him. Randy Moss, when effective, either had a HOF WR playing opposite him (Carter) or a future HOF throwing to him (Brady). And Megatron is basically pissing away his talent in Detroit, going nowhere. What's in common with these generational talents?: enjoyed success when surrounded by HOF talent or little impact on their team if not. In the current state of the Bills, the addition of a generational WR isn't going to mean much. I think this was Whaley trying to play Madden.

They made a move and did something. It's better than what they did not do in the past. Who really cares where preseason rankings put us. We are about to figure it out by playing the games, which is all that really matters. No matter where the pick is, people will complain if its outside the top 12 (playoff teams). I'm just glad they are trying hard to get us where we want to be.

In college he showed dynamic play-making ability, but also some injury problems and character questions stemming from a drug arrest in 2012 that led to a suspension. More Percy Harvin than Calvin Johnson in talent and build.

My take: A desperation reach by a panicked GM hoping for a miracle. With much bigger holes to fill at secondary, linebacker, offensive line and tight end, plus huge questions at QB, giving away the 2015 #1 for Watkins may prove to be a damaging blow for a mediocre team mired in perpetual rebuild.

Edited by negativo

In college he showed dynamic play-making ability, but also some injury problems and character questions stemming from a drug arrest in 2012 that led to a suspension. More Percy Harvin than Calvin Johnson in talent and build.

My take: A desperation reach by a panicked GM hoping for a miracle. With much bigger holes to fill at secondary, linebacker, offensive line and tight end, plus huge questions at QB, giving away the 2015 #1 for Watkins may prove to be a damaging blow for a mediocre team mired in perpetual rebuild.

As for that 2012 incident when he and a friend were pulled over and caught with some bud, that very well could have created some character issues. And it did. All to the good. He couldn't have handled it any better and the cops themselves were impressed in how he owned the moment right from the start. As was everyone else during that process, including his coaches who never saw anyone bust their ass harder in order to prove something. Scouts were impressed and made sure to include this on his reports.

Your opinion of him being similar to Percy Harvin is off the mark. He's unique and I've heard him described as "Anquan Bolden with speed, quickness, and escapeability, but with better hands." He'll look to run over people if he has to (ask Shazier about that), something Harvin just isn't made for. He's one of the best prospects coming out of college, regardless of position, in the last 10 years. That is unanimous in scouting circles.

Now all of that might be bubkus when it's all said and done, but at this stage and compared to other WRs in history coming out of college, he's in very rare company.

GO BILLS!!!

Your opinion of him being similar to Percy Harvin is off the mark. He's unique and I've heard him described as "Anquan Bolden with speed, quickness, and escapeability, but with better hands." He'll look to run over people if he has to (ask Shazier about that), something Harvin just isn't made for. He's one of the best prospects coming out of college, regardless of position, in the last 10 years. That is unanimous in scouting circles.

That makes it sound like Anquan is a bust. Or, maybe Watkins' hands are "more stickier than sticky flypaper". B-)

I was watching the draft and saw the Browns gave up three first rounders to move up 6 spots, but then gave up three second rounders to get back those three first rounders because Seattle wanted to move up one spot.....wait....was I watching the real draft?

In reality, it was a ballsy move. Watkins was the dominant offensive player in this draft. This should not be argued. However, unless you believe that EJ is a bona fide franchise QB and will markedly improve this year, it cost this team a sizable drafting opportunity in 2015. After week 1 in college ball there are already some real standout QB's. we better just watch this Bills season and hope that this offense turns on the lights, because it will be a painful offseason on TSW if not.

It is clear to me there is no use to even read these threads anymore unless you want to B word and moan about who sucks, how bad, why, Sullivan and Schopp suck, etc. Maybe when they actually PLAY a game, the subject matter will change.

God forbid they win the Bears game.....this hysterical board will have them going to the Superbowl.

I have the answer in my mind, but can you recall the year the Bills played poorly in preseason and ended up having a winning season?

Every year they went to the SB, the Bills had a bad preseason record. The best was 1993, when they went 2-2.

I don't care about draft picks. I want to win. The browns win the draft pick derby every year and get nowhere. Their offense would have been on a different level this year if they took Sammy, but they decided they wouldn't despite knowing Gordon was suspended and having absolutely zero depth. Its not like they have a QB that makes WRs better like Brady or Manning. They need WRs to make their QB better, like us and other teams in the league. Yet they look to next year - they won the draft! Screw 2014! Just like they screwed 2013 when they traded Richardson. Everyone loved the trade for the browns but unfortunately their running game went out the window when they traded him. Trich was not successful last year for Indy but he WAS successful for the Browns in 2012 and he played his whole rookie year with cracked ribs. For once, the Browns should try to win now instead of flashing their draft picks. Even when they do make the pick instead of trading it, they don't always take the right guy. Only one of the players they took with the haul they got from the Julio Jones trade is still on the team. Almost of their 53-man roster is UDFAs.

Any position/hole we need/want to fill in the 1st next year we can get in FA. They weren't going to take another QB in the 1st anyway as much as everyone here thinks they would have. They just spent a 1st on EJ last year. I am not saying whether they should or shouldn't - I am saying I do not think they would have.

That makes it sound like Anquan is a bust. Or, maybe Watkins' hands are "more stickier than sticky flypaper". B-)

The scout that told me that was being totally tongue and cheek as he has long considered Boldin as having one of the best pair of hands he's seen.

GO BILLS!!!

The scout that told me that was being totally tongue and cheek as he has long considered Boldin as having one of the best pair of hands he's seen.

GO BILLS!!!

I've often said Watkins is a very rich man's Boldin. He is athletically superior in every way but he did for Flacco what Watkins can do for EJ.