Make Wall of Fame Right

jahbonas

Who Should be added to the Wall of Fame ?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should be added to the Wall of Fame ?

• Lou Saban
    • Cookie Gilchrist
    • Both
    • Somebody else should be there.....
    • Nope, I am fine with the present WOF

Now that we may no longer have an owner who would out of spite block the true names from going up on the wall of fame. When will the following deserving names be placed up there?

1- Cookie Gilchrist

2- Lou Saban

3- Chuck Knox

These men deserve their names up there more than perhaps 90% of the names up there now.

I would say Saban goes first, let's hope they actually do unfreeze this ban, which would be a great idea. I think they had tried to get Cookie in there for awhile, but he wanted to be paid forthright honor, which was not the spirit of the honor, so it didn't happen. I don't know if that would still be an issue after he died, if maybe whoever is in charge of his... Whatever... That would still require being paid.

Knox was here what three or four years?? Yes they made the playoffs some, but not here long enough IMO to make the wall

He took over a 3-11 team took them to 5-9 7-9 11-5 10-6 then 4-5 strike season

Thats 5 seasons - brought first AFC East title in 15 years

brought first back to back playoffs in 15 years

He orchestrated the OJ trade which was brilliant

He also did this when his owner let the #1 pick overall get away to sign with Canada

He left only because he saw the lack of committment by the owner - proven the next year by not signing Jim kelly in 1983 and letting 4 time probowl Joe Cribbs leave to USFL (surprise surprise we go 2-14 & 2-14 gee who caused that???)

He left for Seattle where he brought them their 1st AFC west title

I don't see why they should, jahbonas. I mean, there is the genius in the team sale thread who has convinced me that there is no way the team is staying in WNY. The sale to Toronto and relocation is pretty much inevitable, says this genius. Maybe you know him, jahbonas? :rolleyes:;):P

It might aid you if you read and comprehended a bit better. For the 1000th time I expect the team to stay here - read it.

I feels however its due to the LEASE agreement having 6 yrs remaining on it - its NOT due to the alice in wonderland belief that RW gave a directive to the trust to sell only to in town bidders.

He also did this when his owner let the #1 pick overall get away to sign with Canada

He left only because he saw the lack of committment by the owner - proven the next year by not signing Jim kelly in 1983 and letting 4 time probowl Joe Cribbs leave to USFL (surprise surprise we go 2-14 & 2-14 gee who caused that???)

Not enough tenure here.

The Saban and Gilchrist stories are well known, and I can see the arguments for adding both of them.

Knox, however, gives me pause. Not that I deny he was an effective coach--leading three different playoff teams is a rare accomplishment. With the Bills, though, there was something missing. This is beyond the problems with the front office, though there were plenty. The issue was that Knox's teams in Buffalo, as much fun as they were, had an incredible ability to come up utterly flat. One never knew which team would show up, and that has to come back to coaching. The 1980 squad, for example, laid two eggs against Baltimore and blew a 14-0 lead at home to Atlanta, then in that fateful playoff against San Diego failed several times to score in the second half, including a terrible play call on 3rd and 1 late in the fourth that would have sealed the game. In 1981, the team laid several eggs--at Dallas, at St. Louis, at home against Philly, the finale against Miami--and almost blew a 24-0 lead in the playoffs to the Jets. By 1982, the team was ready to blossom, but after the strike Knox completely lost the team and they staggered to a terrible finish. In general, Knox was very conservative, which got his teams far, but neither at Buffalo nor in LA or Seattle was he able to take a team far into the playoffs. So, to borrow a line from the inestimable Ken Krippen, I think he belongs on the Wall of Very Good, not the Wall of Fame.

I would love to see Gilchrist, Saban, and Schobel added to that wall in the near future. Possibly Moulds too. Although the teams in the 2000s were, at sometimes downright pitiful, Schobel and Moulds were the definition of true Buffalo football players. They gave it their all and it was a joy to watch them week in and week out.

So two good years out of five. What he did in Seattle may prove he was very good coach, but unless it was done in Buffalo, it has no bearing IMO of whether he makes the wall or not. If he had four or five of ten good years, I'd say yes, but reallty don't think he was here long enough

• 1 month later...

Should Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist be added to the Wall of Fame ?

Look, I love Ralph Wilson but both belong on the Wall............no question.

I still believe its an embarrassment for The Bills to snub either from the Wall.

You younger people probably don't care but its important to us older fans..........This would be equal to snubbing Thurman Thomas & Marv Levy.

Please take a few minutes to watch the clips on both....well worth your time.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw6EJVFn98w

--

Edited by HOUSE

Ralph has wanted to add Cookie in the past. The only thing stopping it was the fact that Cookie insisted on getting paid for the honor. Now that Cookie is gone he should certainly be a candidate, as well as Saban.

Thank you, I didn't know that.

Cookie was the real deal, but became a casualty of the old school, and some of that was of his own making. He came into the League like the second coming of Jim Brown and left like the prototype for Duane Thomas.

He's gone now, may he RIP. But I don't know what sort of legal entanglements he might yet have over his estate. All he ever wanted was recognition and money. Putting him up on The WOF/ROH might in some small afford him the former, but not the latter.

Lou on the other hand was a head case of a different sort. He left more jobs than he was hired for. He'll be forever known as the coach who got The Bills two AFC championships, and that's no small achievement.