Brawl and apparent death threat at camp today

CodeMonkey

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. I thought he made a comment about 20 days, and then it was reported in the media that he said 21 days after another skirmish. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that was the reason Marrone was staring him down whilst he ranted.

It's possible he said both. I'm sure many these guys are bear their breaking point. This has been a tougher camp than most of these guys are used to. (Good! ) But we jump on guys based on reported, out of context snippets of conversation too much. He may have said something, and they said it again, in a different tone of voice. Point being, if he said it laughing (as the quote on PFT reports) or as a gripe (as the early reports indicated) it seems he was far from whining about it (as many here interpreted). Seems to be he was just saying what he thought, and what seems apparent. These guys are sick of hitting each other,. They need to go hit some other people, when it counts.

That is the quote. He was laughing when he said it on the field. He wasn't complaining.

That's what I thought at first, but upon further thought I think he may well have been complaining about being in pads for 3 straight weeks. And he may have been speaking for others as well. It's hard to tell.

That's what I thought at first, but upon further thought I think he may well have been complaining about being in pads for 3 straight weeks. And he may have been speaking for others as well. It's hard to tell.

Agreed, Now I think Marrone might have glared at him (and gave him a talking to) for making light of the fighting. Marrone is very serious about these guys keeping their composure. The quip about the "21 straight days..." and the laughing at the fight might just have rubbed the coach the wrong way. But I don't get the idea that Hughes was whining.

Edited by The Dean

I suppose that might have been a good response had Hughes been complaining. Apparently he was not.

Or maybe he was:

"Marrone lined players up on one sideline and ripped into them for fighting. At one point, defensive end Jerry Hughes talked back to Marrone, leading to more shouting from Marrone in Hughes' direction, questioning him about whether he wanted to stay on the team.

Players then ran sprints across the field in an apparent act of discipline.

Looking directly at Hughes, Marrone used several profanities in telling the player to stop complaining.

"Why can't you handle it as players?" Marrone yelled. He then motioned toward the locker room and said: "Do you want to play on this team?"

Once again looking at Hughes, Marrone said: "If you've got a problem with me, you need to come and tell me.""

Or maybe he was:

"Marrone lined players up on one sideline and ripped into them for fighting. At one point, defensive end Jerry Hughes talked back to Marrone, leading to more shouting from Marrone in Hughes' direction, questioning him about whether he wanted to stay on the team.

Players then ran sprints across the field in an apparent act of discipline.

Looking directly at Hughes, Marrone used several profanities in telling the player to stop complaining.

"Why can't you handle it as players?" Marrone yelled. He then motioned toward the locker room and said: "Do you want to play on this team?"

Once again looking at Hughes, Marrone said: "If you've got a problem with me, you need to come and tell me.""

I read that. I stand by my earlier comment. It's possible Marrone may have heard it as a complaint when it was not. I'm more certain he used it as an opportunity to exercise a little discipline at a time he thought the team needed it.

You may find this hard to believe, but I've been on the end of that sort of thing before. As a "yapper" I risked the danger of having something misinterpreted (purposefully or not) by the boss at the wrong time, in order to make a point. It happened more than once. :lol:

I really believe there is nothing to see here--other than the team, and coach, getting testy. Several other teams seem to be exhibiting the same sort of behavior. We aren't used to it, as Bills camps have tended to be a bit softer (on purpose). This is a new philosophy for some.

I read that. I stand by my earlier comment. It's possible Marrone may have heard it as a complaint when it was not. I'm more certain he used it as an opportunity to exercise a little discipline at a time he thought the team needed it.

You may find this hard to believe, but I've been on the end of that sort of thing before. As a "yapper" I risked the danger of having something misinterpreted (purposefully or not) by the boss at the wrong time, in order to make a point. It happened more than once. :lol:

I really believe there is nothing to see here--other than the team, and coach, getting testy. Several other teams seem to be exhibiting the same sort of behavior. We aren't used to it, as Bills camps have tended to be a bit softer (on purpose). This is a new philosophy for some.

I'm pretty sure Marrone knows when a player is complainig and when he is having fun.

Clearly he was yelling at Hughes, calling him out. I don't see how that report can be reasonably interpretted otherwise.

But even so, who cares. We will all know if these guys are any better than last year in a few weeks.

I'm pretty sure Marrone knows when a player is complainig and when he is having fun.

Clearly he was yelling at Hughes, calling him out. I don't see how that report can be reasonably interpretted otherwise.

But even so, who cares. We will all know if these guys are any better than last year in a few weeks.

I can. That's one difference between us. I have seen situation where people have misinterpreted comments. Many of them. I've also been in situations where people used an opportunity to feign misunderstanding to make a point. If the Hughes quote is accurate. And he said it while laughing, there is very good chance that could have happened.

But you are right about one thing. We won't know if they are better this year until they start to play the games.

Yeah. Tuel challenged Lewis to pistols at 20 paces.

Both were uninjured, since neither can hit anything outside of five yards.

I would laugh, but it's true therefore sad.

I can. That's one difference between us. I have seen situation where people have misinterpreted comments. Many of them. I've also been in situations where people used an opportunity to feign misunderstanding to make a point. If the Hughes quote is accurate. And he said it while laughing, there is very good chance that could have happened.

But you are right about one thing. We won't know if they are better this year until they start to play the games.

So, even though you weren't there to see or hear the interaction between the two, you think Marrone may have so badly misinterpretted what Hughes said and/or did, that he made a loud public display, in front of the rest of the team, directed at Hughes?

I'm just trying to see how far you will go to hang on to this...

So, even though you weren't there to see or hear the interaction between the two, you think Marrone may have so badly misinterpretted what Hughes said and/or did, that he made a loud public display, in front of the rest of the team, directed at Hughes?

I'm just trying to see how far you will go to hang on to this...

I'm just saying it is a possibility. And I certainly don't trust any reporter's interpretation (which, let's face it are driven these days by creating controversy) to pick up on the nuance of what might have happened. What I have to go on is a report a player laughed, said "I love it" during the so-called complaint. A number of things could have gone down.

One more time. Hughes supposedly said the quoted "21 days..." remark yesterday at the time of the Woods incident.

Apparently he said it again today (if the reports are to be believed--he clearly said it yesterday unless the reporters were psychic). Now I could see how that could make Marrone mad. He is trying to stop the practice fights, and he has a guy joking about them.

If you don't see how an offhand remark, or joke, can be misinterpreted by a guy who is REALLY pissed off, then I assume you have never been in that position.

One more time. Hughes supposedly said the quoted "21 days..." remark yesterday at the time of the Woods incident.

Apparently he said it again today (if the reports are to be believed--he clearly said it yesterday unless the reporters were psychic). Now I could see how that could make Marrone mad. He is trying to stop the practice fights, and he has a guy joking about them.

If you don't see how an offhand remark, or joke, can be misinterpreted by a guy who is REALLY pissed off, then I assume you have never been in that position.

i have seen red once or twice in my time. And i sure imagine Coach is pure Alpha male .

Seens it from both sides. and neither are a good perspective

i have seen red once or twice in my time. And i sure imagine Coach is pure Alpha male .

Seens it from both sides. and neither are a good perspective

Good take, IMO.

One thing to consider when trying to decipher this are in the reports I have seen Marrone talks only about the fights. He never mentions a player complaining about too much work, Perhaps I missed something though.

Good take, IMO.

One thing to consider when trying to decipher this are in the reports I have seen Marrone talks only about the fights. He never mentions a player complaining about too much work, Perhaps I missed something though.

Maybe he is just being a good Coach ?

We and the media can read into it on end though .

Interesting note to finish SJF with out a doubt .

Definitely not the same old Bills. IMHO : )