RIP Actor Robin Williams

CowgirlsFan

OR deal with someone who has severe depression issues......and yes it is a sickness

AND telling someone with depression issues to take alcohol.....completely uneducated

Hey, it is how I dealt with it. I would say booze is better than killing yourself, wouldn't you?

I understand it is a sickness, I have seen Psychologists first when I was like 8 years old and it was not long after that I was pushed to drug side and saw Psychiatrists. I never slept a lick through my single digits, and with parents divocing young and being pretty smart and quirkey ans not answering their personality tests to how they liked, I had some traits of what school shrinks and then some outside of school thought was mental illnes. I think I would have been better off never taking the crap they gave me when I was young, but as a young adult when I was lost and had no idea what I wanted to do, the medication I was on kept the sadness away, but also eliminated the happiness I could attain.

I think the meds helped me get through my early work career. One thing that made me lose the self pity and do desctructive things that depressed do, was to try and find small goals. Exercising a lot, trying to be the best I could at work, traveling, talking to friends a lot, being as busy as I could. I weened off the pills and I was able to actually attain the highs I was missing while on meds, but was better capable to deal with the lows. One other thing I realized that I wanted was to not have to struggle financially, so I busted my ass too.

Alcohol without a doubt has been a crutch for me. I have chronic insomnia, and every doctor tried to tell me because of that I must be depressed and wanted me to take more pills. Alcohol by far is the best sleeping medication I ever used, part because I can have 10 beers and 5 shots and have no hangover. Certain medication I was given made me see cross eyed at a computer screen until 1 PM everyday and made me struggle to drive to work in the morning, gave me wicked after affects. I have been told by some shrinks that the drinking is OK if I can keep it in check too, and some that I should go to rehab yesterday even though I perfectly functional everyday at work. I have grown out the drinking too as I go older and have gained more confidence throughout my life. What is funny as I have reduced my exercise, I actually sleep a little now in my early 40s. I slept less than 20 hours a week in my 20s.

If I see a shrink today, and I did 1 year ago, they still want me to go to alcohol rehab. I likely am a functional alcoholic at this point, but it evolved from severe depression, or at least being told I was bipolar and manic depressive when I was 8. In any event, I think people have a chance to influence their life, being depressed is not a death sentence. The victimization of certain things is promoted too, calling everything a disease and a disorder, telling people they are constantly being bullied, life is about being a victim and nothing is your fault. I refuse to fully accept it.

I lived it, and I do live it. I live my life being on the phone between 2 and 5 am talking to friends who have went off the deep end now still to this day. Suicide is not an adult thing to do in my opinion. Does not make me have less feeling for Williams' famly, make me a jerk, make me look like I must not have known anyone who committed suicide, it is my opinion.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, it is how I dealt with it. I would say booze is better than killing yourself, wouldn't you?

I understand it is a sickness, I have seen Psychologists first when I was like 8 years old and it was not long after that I was pushed to drug side and saw Psychiatrists. I never slept a lick through my single digits, and with parents divocing young and being pretty smart and quirkey ans not answering their personality tests to how they liked, I had some traits of what school shrinks and then some outside of school thought was mental illnes. I think I would have been better off never taking the crap they gave me when I was young, but as a young adult when I was lost and had no idea what I wanted to do, the medication I was on kept the sadness away, but also eliminated the happiness I could attain.

I think the meds helped me get through my early work career. One thing that made me lose the self pity and do desctructive things that depressed do, was to try and find small goals. Exercising a lot, trying to be the best I could at work, traveling, talking to friends a lot, being as busy as I could. I weened off the pills and I was able to actually attain the highs I was missing while on meds, but was better capable to deal with the lows. One other thing I realized that I wanted was to not have to struggle financially, so I busted my ass too.

Alcohol without a doubt has been a crutch for me. I have chronic insomnia, and every doctor tried to tell me because of that I must be depressed and wanted me to take more pills. Alcohol by far is the best sleeping medication I ever used, part because I can have 10 beers and 5 shots and have no hangover. Certain medication I was given made me see cross eyed at a computer screen until 1 PM everyday and made me struggle to drive to work in the morning, gave me wicked after affects. I have been told by some shrinks that the drinking is OK if I can keep it in check too, and some that I should go to rehab yesterday even though I perfectly functional everyday at work. I have grown out the drinking too as I go older and have gained more confidence throughout my life. What is funny as I have reduced my exercise, I actually sleep a little now in my early 40s. I slept less than 20 hours a week in my 20s.

If I see a shrink today, and I did 1 year ago, they still want me to go to alcohol rehab. I likely am a functional alcoholic at this point, but it evolved from severe depression, or at least being told I was bipolar and manic depressive when I was 8. In any event, I think people have a chance to influence their life, being depressed is not a death sentence. The victimization of certain things is promoted too, calling everything a disease and a disorder, telling people they are constantly being bullied, life is about being a victim and nothing is your fault. I refuse to fully accept it.

I lived it, and I do live it. I live my life being on the phone between 2 and 5 am talking to friends who have went off the deep end now still to this day. Suicide is not an adult thing to do in my opinion. Does not make me have less feeling for Williams' famly, make me a jerk, make me look like I must not have known anyone who committed suicide, it is my opinion.

Security

First....let me say that if you truly suffer from depression you have my sympathy...I know SEVERAL diagnosed cases and one of them is within my own family......and I hope you can overcome it and am rooting for you.

HOWEVER

Alcohol is a depressent...to advice people to drink alchohol when they suffer from severe depression is a steaming freight train to suicide attempts.....it might not be in your case but I GUARANTEE that it is for others.

Many people who suffer from depression have to take "anti depressants"

Security

First....let me say that if you truly suffer from depression you have my sympathy...I know SEVERAL diagnosed cases and one of them is within my own family......and I hope you can overcome it and am rooting for you.

HOWEVER

Alcohol is a depressent...to advice people to drink alchohol when they suffer from severe depression is a steaming freight train to suicide attempts.....it might not be in your case but I GUARANTEE that it is for others.

Many people who suffer from depression have to take "anti depressants"

I believe it since I've heard it a million times. It's accepted and valid medical term.

But I only like to drink when I'm happy. I guess since I'm not an alcoholic at all.

Yesterday I had a nice day and had a beer with my dinner.

Rewatched a litle of Thad's part in the game from last week. Fell asleep literally on Tuels' part. It was really late. Like 1am.

Edit: Not defending security in anyway. Just my observation. I think I understand where he could be coming from . Getting drunk vs reality. That is actually quite common. While of course, not advisable.

You're not going to tell us what you had for dinner?

my wife fried some fish. But I didn't see it in fridge. Since it was late, I made a double slice bologna sandwich. I dont think u can even label that dinner.

Ok. My "dinner" was depressing.

I did eat the fish and rice for dinner today for dinner. Very good. Added tabascy too.

• 5 months later...