Fred speaks out against practices vs Steelers

FluffHead

I like it that Marrone is putting his team though some tough paces, and making his players actually earn their positions this year. Multiple scrimmages is a great way to get the younger players prepared for the regular season.

OTOH, I can understand Freddy's point, and some consideration should be given to the senior players who have little to prove at this point. They don't need the added injury risk in practice or scrimmages. Guys like Mario, Eric Wood, Freddy, CJ, Chandler, Kyle Willams should be doing more stationary bike work then reps. JMO

On another note that (3-7) Pittsburgh D line manhandled the Bills O line in week 10 last year, and it should be a real test to see how the current Bills players look against them in preseason.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it that Marrone is putting his team though some tough paces, and making his players actually earn their positions this year. Multiple scrimmages is a great way to get the younger players prepared for the regular season.

OTOH, I can understand Freddy's point, and some consideration should be given to the senior players who have little to prove at this point. They don't need the added injury risk in practice or scrimmages. Guys like Mario, Eric Wood, Freddy, CJ, Chandler, Kyle Willams should be doing more stationary bike work then reps. JMO

On another note that (3-7) Pittsburgh D line manhandled the Bills O line in week 10 last year, and it should be a real test to see how the current Bills players look against them in preseason.

You mean consideration like the fact they played fewer than 15 plays Friday night? I'll go on record agreeing with Kelly's earlier post in this thread, because it was my initial reaction when I read Fred's comments. He had a bad series Friday night and sees Boobie starting to get looks in the short yardage area. He's a competitive, edgy guy. He was likely a bit cantankerous when asked the question and spoke before he thought -- a rarity with Fred, and forgivable.

In other words...much ado about nothing.

I think it's a waste of time, considering how many pre-season games they have. It can only result in injuries and adds very little.

Seriously?

You don't think hitting and going up against different players, adds very little? The Bills line up in a 4-3, the Steelers in a 3-4, surely seeing a different alignment can only help the offense. Especially a 3-4 defense run by Dick LeBeau.

You mean consideration like the fact they played fewer than 15 plays Friday night? I'll go on record agreeing with Kelly's earlier post in this thread, because it was my initial reaction when I read Fred's comments. He had a bad series Friday night and sees Boobie starting to get looks in the short yardage area. He's a competitive, edgy guy. He was likely a bit cantankerous when asked the question and spoke before he thought -- a rarity with Fred, and forgivable.

In other words...much ado about nothing.

I read the article, and came away with the thinking that Freddy doesn't like all the extra work involved in the upcoming scrimmages. Quite frankly I don't think Fred gives a hoot about Dixon and his 3.1 YPC average, or his meager 2 TD's a year for the last 4 years. Much less worry about losing carries to a guy who might not even make the final roster.

I think Freddy will do better punching the ball in the end zone when his O line can actually move someone off the line of scrimmage.

I read the article, and came away with the thinking that Freddy doesn't like all the extra work involved in the upcoming scrimmages. Quite frankly I don't think Fred gives a hoot about Dixon and his 3.1 YPC average, or his meager 2 TD's a year for the last 4 years. Much less worry about losing carries to a guy who might not even make the final roster.

I think Freddy will do better punching the ball in the end zone when his O line can actually move someone off the line of scrimmage.

If you don't think Fred was irritated about not getting in the endzone Friday night and then seeing Dixon successful twice -- resulting in more looks in practice -- I guess we just agree to disagree.

If you don't think Fred was irritated about not getting in the endzone Friday night and then seeing Dixon successful twice -- resulting in more looks in practice -- I guess we just agree to disagree.

Freddy was going against the Panthers first string D. Then Dixon scored only once in the 2nd quarter going against Carolina's 2nd string.

But then, my reasoning also came after reading this regarding Sunday's workout, and scuffles. "Apparently someone said something mildly offensive to cause the brief scrum Sunday."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/08/10/practice-report-temperatures-rising-bills-hit-dog-days-august/

With all the running backs we have, how many carries will Fred have against the Steelers anyway? I think his voicing of his opinion is more due to not having a day off after the game rather than going to practice against Pittburgh.

At first I was a bit surprised to hear the Bills had a practice the day after the game against Carolina but then after listening to Marrone, it made sense. He said it was a VERY light workout and practice setting so I actually liked the idea of keeping the muscles fresh and getting it used to the pain of playing a football game.

Fred is just getting old that's all it is.

From a player’s perspective they probably are more like games. Think about it.

A player is going up against another team’s player who he is not used to playing against. He knows that the guys on the other team are trying to impress their coaches. That means there is a higher risk of injury and higher propensity for dirty play. Plus, you are out there trying not to embarrass yourself or lose your starting position. So you have to play with even more effort than you might give in practice.

I think these sorts of things are good for the team as a whole, especially young players - but bad for veteran players. That is why I think FJ is a little miffed. He probably feels like he is going to beat the hell out of his body a couple more times than is probably necessary in a preseason environment. Other veterans probably feel the same way if you ask them.

Great post, pretty much nails it in my mind. I know some guys were miffed about the Sat/Sun practices after a preseason road win. I was at the Saturday practice, and it was quite a light approaching-walk-through affair in terms of intensity.

But I have to get this off my chest … and let me first state that Fred is one of my favorite Bills ever. I don’t really remember him making many, if any, bonehead mistakes or negative plays. The few fumbles he has coughed up were on plays where he was literally concussed, to my best recollection.

Surely I am not the only one who raised an eyebrow at his almost Stevie-like comments that actually came from the polar opposite of #13 (in terms of a team spokesman & lead-by-example type). So I am only trying to understand what was implied by Fred’s comments, as they seemed perhaps a bit out of character for #22. We all know him as the team leader, an underrated guy from day one, heart and soul of the team, division III, etc.

I heard a rumor a few months back that Fred has had some difficulties dealing with the concussions he has suffered in his career, and that it was all being kept hushed by the Bills FO and team press. It swirled about in the pre-draft timeframe, and then Whaley went out and made the trade for Bryce Brown during the draft after supposedly considering Carlos Hyde in the 2nd. So at the time, the grapevine talk supported what I had heard.

After Fred’s comments this week, maybe he really is in a type of self-preservation mode. It seems as if he is mainly thinking of how the practices will translate into potentially additional head blows for him as guys try to make their respective teams.

I can’t imagine it is easy to ignore the possibility of more collisions that may have already begun to turn your brain/cognitive skills to mush when you have several youngsters crawling all over you once you are home.

Great post, pretty much nails it in my mind. I know some guys were miffed about the Sat/Sun practices after a preseason road win. I was at the Saturday practice, and it was quite a light approaching-walk-through affair in terms of intensity.

But I have to get this off my chest … and let me first state that Fred is one of my favorite Bills ever. I don’t really remember him making many, if any, bonehead mistakes or negative plays. The few fumbles he has coughed up were on plays where he was literally concussed, to my best recollection.

Surely I am not the only one who raised an eyebrow at his almost Stevie-like comments that actually came from the polar opposite of #13 (in terms of a team spokesman & lead-by-example type). So I am only trying to understand what was implied by Fred’s comments, as they seemed perhaps a bit out of character for #22. We all know him as the team leader, an underrated guy from day one, heart and soul of the team, division III, etc.

I heard a rumor a few months back that Fred has had some difficulties dealing with the concussions he has suffered in his career, and that it was all being kept hushed by the Bills FO and team press. It swirled about in the pre-draft timeframe, and then Whaley went out and made the trade for Bryce Brown during the draft after supposedly considering Carlos Hyde in the 2nd. So at the time, the grapevine talk supported what I had heard.

After Fred’s comments this week, maybe he really is in a type of self-preservation mode. It seems as if he is mainly thinking of how the practices will translate into potentially additional head blows for him as guys try to make their respective teams.

I can’t imagine it is easy to ignore the possibility of more collisions that may have already begun to turn your brain/cognitive skills to mush when you have several youngsters crawling all over you once you are home.

I'm not trivializing the long term consequences of these injuries and dismissing their impact on our beloved football squad, but these guys are very aware of the risks and are compensated extremely well. Beyond what 97.3% of us will ever see. Way beyond.

Also, it greatly influences the influx of new talent into the league and/or spotlight. Just picture the old, slow zebra at the waters edge. It's hard to watch as the croc pulls it under, but in the grand scheme of things, completely necessary. You feel sorry for the zebras for a while, but the balance to the whole system is maintained in a way. e.g. Sorry Bledsoe, you're on the Bills now, allowing room for another organism to thrive.... For 15 years... Thanks nature

Seriously?

You don't think hitting and going up against different players, adds very little? The Bills line up in a 4-3, the Steelers in a 3-4, surely seeing a different alignment can only help the offense. Especially a 3-4 defense run by Dick LeBeau.

Very serious. Five preseason games isn't enough to figure things out?

Guys get hurt in every game. Most practices bring injuries. I prefer to have a healthy team when the games count.

You don't learn very much as a player during these scrimmages and pre-season games. They are more for player evaluation than practice. It's like taking a test on three straight days. I'm not sure what the point of it is either.

Pre-season exists in its present state solely to bring cash to management.

Very serious. Five preseason games isn't enough to figure things out?

Guys get hurt in every game. Most practices bring injuries. I prefer to have a healthy team when the games count.

These practices the coaches can work on scripted plays ie 4-minute drill, 2-minute drill, red zone work. And they can work on it multiple times, more than they would in a pre-season game. In many ways they are better than a pre-season game.

So yes there is a difference but if you want to get better you play & practice against the best & something other than your own to get a different better to go against .

I don't think that it will be a balls out practice like game day & the hits on each others QB's will be limited as they are in practice , but Fred of all people to not be in the swing of getting better ?

Must have had a bad couple of days ...

These practices the coaches can work on scripted plays ie 4-minute drill, 2-minute drill, red zone work. And they can work on it multiple times, more than they would in a pre-season game. In many ways they are better than a pre-season game.

You make it sound like choreography. There will be intense hitting. Hopefully, the injuries will be minor. I don't see how it can be more valuable than a pre-season game, where it is real game conditions.

If there were only 2 or 3 exhibition games, then maybe.

So yes there is a difference but if you want to get better you play & practice against the best & something other than your own to get a different better to go against .

I don't think that it will be a balls out practice like game day & the hits on each others QB's will be limited as they are in practice , but Fred of all people to not be in the swing of getting better ?

Must have had a bad couple of days ...

Or maybe he's been through enough of these to know they don't really help the team.

with the extra preseason game, i don't think it was a good idea to do the joint practices this year. any other year would be fine. but this is exposing our guys to a lot of game-like activity which could result in injuries. they are going to be beat up before the regular season even starts! i'd rather have a fresh team going in to week 1