Mort Chat

Rico

Barry (Ft Laud, FL): Hey Mort, What do you think of the coaches that Saban has brought to the Fins? How many years before we make the playoffs...3?

Chris Mortensen: (11:29 AM ET ) On the offensive side, it's about as good as it gets. Scott Linehan with Hudson Houck as line coach is a big, big deal. Playoffs? I would think 2-to-3 years. That division isn't getting weaker, though. The Patriots may slip a little just because of the coordinator change, but not much. The Jets have a young defense. The Bills are playoff-ready.

===========================

My take:

Hudson Houck is a huge signing for the Felons,

he's right up there with Alex Gibbs & JMac IMO. :D

Steven (Monroe, LA): Rumor has it that the Bills are going with Losman next year and that Bledsoe may resurface with Cowboys. My opinion is that Bledsoe is not an upgrade over Testaverde.

Chris Mortensen: (11:49 AM ET ) I reported - that's fact, not rumor - that the Bills have asked Bledsoe to take another pay cut. If he doesn't, he could be released and Losman would get his shot. I'm not sure Parcells would jump on Bledsoe, although Drew still has a big-time arm and he's a leader. I think Parcells prefers some mobility in his QBs during this era.

John Cleveland: I would think the Bears might be interested in Bledsoe as a backup for Grossman. Bledsoe would have to be an upgrade from the backup QB mess the Bears have. Any possibility ?

Chris Mortensen: I think Kurt Warner is a possibility there.

Kevin (Richmond, Va): If Bledsoe is let go, do you think Dennis Green my try to use him in Arizona? We can all remember the various QBs he used in Minnesota successfully in his system.

Chris Mortensen: Yeah, that's a possibility, I guess. I do see the Cardinals as one of the potential bidders for Brees, although Green often has preferred taller QBs.

Joe from Raleigh: Hi Mort, hows it going? Do you think Drew Bledsoe could be cloned so that every team that needs a back-up qb could send a draft choice to the Bills for him?

Mort: Geez Joe, what a great idea. I am on the phone with Tom Donahoe as we speak. Maybe Drew can do some research on the Human Genome while he's at it and negotiate an Arab-Israeli peace deal.

Our presumed trash is other's treasure...

The one thing that everyone who wants Bledsoe gone is ignoring, is that Bledsoe will have no opportunitys any better than what he has in Buffalo. I still say he is on our roster again in 2005. Living here in central Texas, I can tell you, both Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells are on record, since their season ended, saying that they are standing pat on their QB's, unless Vinny should decide to retire. Vinny has so far, given no indication that retirement is in his plans.

Secondly, I don't think Parcells would really want Bledsoe back. I know they did lots of "fence mending" pieces on the two of them, for the pre-game fluff, but Parcells knows Bledsoe's limitations. When both players are performing at their respective peaks, there really is very little difference between Bledsoe and Testeverde. If the Cowboys were to go after another QB, my bet is that it would be Brees. He is an Austin kid, grew up a Cowboys fan, and is just entering his prime as a QB. I think Parcells knows that the Cowboys need to get younger and more athletic, not older and slower.

The one thing that everyone who wants Bledsoe gone is ignoring, is that Bledsoe will have no opportunitys any better than what he has in Buffalo.  I still say he is on our roster again in 2005.  Living here in central Texas, I can tell you, both Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells are on record, since their season ended, saying that they are standing pat on their QB's, unless Vinny should decide to retire.  Vinny has so far, given no indication that retirement is in his plans.

Secondly, I don't think Parcells would really want Bledsoe back.  I know they did lots of "fence mending" pieces on the two of them, for the pre-game fluff, but Parcells knows Bledsoe's limitations.  When both players are performing at their respective peaks, there really is very little difference between Bledsoe and Testeverde.  If the Cowboys were to go after another QB, my bet is that it would be Brees.  He is an Austin kid, grew up a Cowboys fan, and is just entering his prime as a QB.  I think Parcells knows that the Cowboys need to get younger and more athletic, not older and slower.

219326[/snapback]

can't see Parcells passing up a future Hall of Famer with Drew's tremendous production in big games. :D

Other than being younger,

what makes Drew an upgrade???

219397[/snapback]

I am not saying he blows Testaverde out of the water, but I watched a fair number of Vinny's games this year and it was pretty sad. The guy was missing receivers and throwing way too many interceptions. I really don't think this can be completely pinned on the talent around him. Their ratings were about the same but the stat that sticks out to me is this:

Bledsoe: 20 TDs 16 Ints

Vinny: 17 TDs 20 Ints

I am not saying he blows Testaverde out of the water, but I watched a fair number of Vinny's games this year and it was pretty sad. The guy was missing receivers and throwing way too many interceptions. I really don't think this can be completely pinned on the talent around him. Their ratings were about the same but the stat that sticks out to me is this:

219413[/snapback]

That sold me. Let's get Vinny.

219413[/snapback]

We had a running game, and for most of the season the Cowboys did not.

The Cowboys rushed for 1769 yards and the Bills rushed for 1874, so I guess, doesn't seem too convincing to me.

219690[/snapback]

And the Cowboys were running better at the end of the year when Jones came back and that's when Vinny looked his worst this year.