Does anyone actually think the coaches want to lose, especially this y

Virgil

either way ej is not the answer

As I’ve said in other posts, you have no idea if that is true at this point…none of us do. With that kind of rationale, you would have also given up on QBs like John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach just to name a few…and probably would have thought that Rick Mirer was the answer. I’m not saying I think EJ will end up like them, just that at this point in his career, none of us know whether he is the answer or not. Don’t be so quick to pass judgment before all the facts are in. Rule of thumb is it takes about 30 games to know if an NFL QB can hack it or not. We’re only a 1/3 of the way there. By the end of this season, we’ll have a much better idea.

Back to the OP, I agree. Hopefully we win some games and show we’re trending upwards because I like what Whaley has been doing in building this team. The jury is still out on Marrone & staff but I’m staying optimistic.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

either way ej is not the answer

Based off of less then a year evaluation........great

As I’ve said in other posts, you have no idea if that is true at this point…none of us do. With that kind of rationale, you would have also given up on QBs like John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach just to name a few…and probably would have thought that Rick Mirer was the answer. I’m not saying I think EJ will end up like them, just that at this point in his career, none of us know whether he is the answer or not. Don’t be so quick to pass judgment before all the facts are in. Rule of thumb is it takes about 30 games to know if an NFL QB can hack it or not. We’re only a 1/3 of the way there. By the end of this season, we’ll have a much better idea.

Back to the OP, I agree. Hopefully we win some games and show we’re trending upwards because I like what Whaley has been doing in building this team. The jury is still out on Marrone & staff but I’m staying optimistic.

Throw Troy Aikman into that group....who was absolutely god awful in his first year

There is probably a HUGE long list because only a select few QB's actually look good in their first year...much less a first year where they were injured

Is that a joke?

They rolled the dice in a huge way last season by reaching up out of round to get a QB that wasn't even rated as a 1st-rounder by most draft experts.

Then this year they raised the stakes in an enormous gamble by trading away next year's 1st to get "tools" that last year's wonder pick won't even be able to make effective use of.

But

LOL Yeah, OK.

If this gamble doesn't pay off this immediate season Whaley will never have another GM job and Marrone will never be the head coach for another NFL team.

No joke at all. So you think that Whaley/Merrone had a plan that they saw EJ as being an immediate success carrying the Bills to playoff contention last year.

Nope. I think they were on at best a two year plan to compete for the playoffs and a realistic plan of making the playoffs in year three of their reign. The did reach up to get Merrone to take EJ in the first but did this because they saw no QB in the draft last year that had a reasonable chance of carrying the team to the playoffs. They picked EJ not because they expected immediate or even short term payoff from him, but that they felt he had the most upside long term of the available QBsw last year.

I think overall, the braaintrust found EJs year disappointing because he lost a bunch of time to injury, but overall they were pleased because they have another year of development in mind for EJ before they see him developing into the QB they want.

That being said the future is now in the modern NFL. You can see they still believe in EJ because if they did not they likely would have made an attempt to either get a vet QB in FA or draft a project QB at least. The Bills stood pat on QB so it seems reasonable to assume they still believe.

What they did do however, was clearly to aggressively try to bolster the O so that they could compete for (and maybe even make the playoffs in '14 if lucky.

The aggressive effort saw them draft O players with every pick except one and make FA pick-ups for a #3 RC, for a #3 WR, and a variety of low risk high return OL players.

What other alternative do you think makes any sense? They believe EJ is the man who can carry this team on his own? Nope, there is no way they would have expended all the resources they did on O unless they thought EJ needed a lot of help.

Alternately, do you think they decided EJ is not gonna be very good one day? Nope, if they have given up on EJ then I think they would have not stood pat with Lewis and Tuel.

On the face of it, the Bills actions cry out that they judge EJ to be good and deserving of endorsement in the long run but that they know he needs serious help.

The Bills actions smack of a braintrust not afraid to take risks (drafting their chosen QB early last year, and also trading away their first rounder next year.

Their plan may not work but it seems to me to be the plan. Do you hav evidence of some other theory?