More signs that good QBs are a rarity - Dalton extension

GG

I think he's a decent young QB. Not in Manning, Brees, Brady, Rogers territory but so few are.

Remember the knock on Aaron Rogers? He couldn't win in the playoffs. Of course Rogers numbers were different but there were ill timed picks and failures to finish games. I remember Colin Cowherd going on and on about Rogers not being elite because he could not win in the post season. Until he did win in the playoffs. Now he's one of the best QBs in the league.

I'm not saying Dalton has to win in the playoffs just because Rogers did (or that he is as good). But I could see him winning a couple playoff games and suddenly the entire view of him changes.

Same thing was said about Manning the first 7 years of his career.

Kelly the Dog nailed it. Dalton is a "nice" QB, but isn't the QB that's ever going to take you anywhere significant. He's the worst kind of QB to have. Good enough to keep around on your roster that you dont want to cut him, but not good enough to ever win it all.

At least the Bengals did the contract right going year to year.

As far as the Bengals go, I don't think the QB is the problem, it's the head coach.

Marvin Lewis is entering his 12th year as head coach in Cincinnati.

In that time he has an overall record of 89-85-1.

In the postseason, he's 0-5.

Please explain to me why he's still in charge.

Best QB in Bengals history? I think Boomer Esiason would have something to say about that. Unless you were being sarcastic I guess I don't understand this post

Not kidding at all. Dalton has already beat Boomer's career high in yards and tds. In 3 years, he won 9 games or more 3 times. Boomer won 9 games or more 3 times in 9 years as a Bengals' qb. http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXEXXEsiaBo00.htm&t=0

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htm

Kelly the Dog nailed it. Dalton is a "nice" QB, but isn't the QB that's ever going to take you anywhere significant. He's the worst kind of QB to have. Good enough to keep around on your roster that you dont want to cut him, but not good enough to ever win it all.

At least the Bengals did the contract right going year to year.

I generally agree but given that guys like Flacco and Wilson won SBs and are on a similar to Dalton IMO, I could see Dalton being A SB winning qb.

As far as the Bengals go, I don't think the QB is the problem, it's the head coach.

Marvin Lewis is entering his 12th year as head coach in Cincinnati.

In that time he has an overall record of 89-85-1.

In the postseason, he's 0-5.

Please explain to me why he's still in charge.

Because the Bengals were one of the worst franchises in pro sports prior to Lewis. What he has done with that team, one of the cheapest in sports, is a minor miracle. He's a very underrated coach.

Competent front offices are just as rare.

Feel for Bengal fans, but at least they've fielded some competitive football teams in the last decade and change.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. Now that the details are out, this is actually a fantastic deal for them - and pretty shrewd of their front office as well.

Dalton's contract has only $17M of guaranteed money in it, and it is essentially a 2 yr deal worth $25M. After that it becomes a year-to-year deal. If they don't like what they see after 2 more years, they can give him the boot. If he leads them to the promised land, they can pony up and pay him. The last 4 years of his contract only have $7.2M of dead money, which is extremely reasonable for a deal of that size.

And if you are still feeling sorry they give him $25M for 2 years, keep in mind we paid Fitz $10M a year, and somehow his contract had more guaranteed money ($24M) than this Dalton deal. Imagine that!

Edited by QCity

Dalton is a good QB. The guy will get you to the playoffs and no further. He is not a Superbowl QB talent. Only way he wins the big game is if they have a monster defense like the Chicago Bears in 1985. So he gets an extension and the fans think they have the QB of the future wrapped up. I being a Bills fan, I want the Bills to have a very good QB on the team with a long term contract.