The problem with highlights

vegas55

Used to be the only NFL highlights you would get were Monday Night Football ala Howard Cosell. Now with ESPN and multiple other networks you get NFL highlights 24/7. Which is great, but the casual NFL fan and the WNY media tend to base their opinions/perceptions based primarily on their exposure to highlights.

So EJ is judged based in large part on the highlights of other QBs. Russell Wilson is a perfect example. How many casual fans or WNY media watched every Seattle game last year? The answer is none. And what they missed was a 6 game stretch where Wilson was mediocre, at best. But they did see his highlights. If EJ has a stretch of 6 games this year where he is mediocre, the local media will be calling for his head. Anybody ready to bench Wilson based on that lousy stretch of games? Of course not, in large part because local media never saw it - they saw only the highlights. The good stuff. EJ produced a lot of good stuff last year. I would suggest that this "highlight" bias could well result in EJ having a better sophomore year than Wilson had last year, yet still have media and many fans calling for his head.

6 straight mediocre games without any clunkers in there would be an improvement

I would argue that EJ had 2 excellent games, 2 awful games (or "clunkers" as you call them), and 6 mediocre games. Go back to Russell Wilsons' rookie season...he had about 4 or 5 clunkers that year... or, just keep banging on EJ cuz it is easier...

I thought you were gonna say the real problem with highlights is that they constantly show the same 8 runs by CJ Spiller and people assume he's actually good but the real actuality of it is he consistently has short or no gains beyond the 8 big highlight carries a year.

6 straight mediocre games without any clunkers in there would be an improvement

You should go ahead and purchase NFL rewind, which would allow you to watch a replay of every Bills game last year. You might be surprised to see how wrong you are about EJ. Unless of course you are comparing his play over four quarters to the highlight film of the rest of NFL QBs. Basing your post on vague memory of what you saw a year ago - well, enough said.

You should go ahead and purchase NFL rewind, which would allow you to watch a replay of every Bills game last year. You might be surprised to see how wrong you are about EJ. Unless of course you are comparing his play over four quarters to the highlight film of the rest of NFL QBs. Basing your post on vague memory of what you saw a year ago - well, enough said.

He had stinkers @nyj, @pitt and @tb. At no point did he string together 6 mediocre or better games. I don't need nfl rewind for that. Sorry I do not let my fandom and my own desire for him to be good to cloud my judgment.

Here are EJ's highlights through the first 6 games

If this was your only exposure to him, you'd probably think he was pretty damn good.

For some balance, here's every pass attempt from the Falcons game:

Highlights are great. I want more of them. I mean, seriously, what are they thinking? Just play like that on every play! "Highlight real. Ready, Break."

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER