Why I hate the idea of the Wide 9 for the Bills D

CSBill

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people I have no idea what they are talking about. 2 players make up the wide 9. Yes, Schwartz got a head coaching job because he was a crappy DC. Makes a ton of sense.

Wanny was out of the NFL for like 10 years when he became our DC. Schwartz coached against the division we play 4 games against for the last 4 years.

Pettine did a really good job here (our run D still sucked but whatever). But this D is loaded with 1st and 2nd rounders and a 5th rounder who has multiple pro bowls. It's insanely talented. It's a great situation. If Schwartz doesn't have this D ranked in the top 10, he failed. But some of you severely overrated Pettine. Wanny was god awful with a very talented roster. Pettine simply made good use of very good talent.

I can sort of see this too. Pettine did what he learned in Baltimore and practiced in nyj. But it isn't so brilliant that no one can crack the code.

He ran disguised zone blitzes, where the pressure and zone drops were disguised.

You can do all the hocus pocus in the world, but talented football players win and lose you the game.

I can sort of see this too. Pettine did what he learned in Baltimore and practiced in nyj. But it isn't so brilliant that no one can crack the code.

He ran disguised zone blitzes, where the pressure and zone drops were disguised.

You can do all the hocus pocus in the world, but talented football players win and lose you the game.

Or players not being all on the same page. Making the right reads , staying disciplined , and trusting everyone else to nail their assignment .

The Wannstadt days were the exact opposite . Talented football players sure , but i think it takes more than that .

Pettine had his faults , but he is still learning .

So I was at camp again tonight and the D lined up in "multiple/hybrid" fronts and blitzed often. Plenty of nickel corner blitzes. Plenty of stunts. The O line even had trouble going 11 on 9 with only two d linemen rushing the passer.

Dareus looked fine and was a beast against the run.

So I was at camp again tonight and the D lined up in "multiple/hybrid" fronts and blitzed often. Plenty of nickel corner blitzes. Plenty of stunts. The O line even had trouble going 11 on 9 with only two d linemen rushing the passer.

Dareus looked fine and was a beast against the run.

that is good news!!

It’s also why the Bills so desperately need Marcell Dareus to stay on the field and play at a Pro Bowl level. In many defensive schemes, there are more players committed to helping each other flush out the ball carrier. Not so much this one. This scheme relies heavily on those middle-of-the-defense defenders to make plays in space and often by themselves. If one gets beaten, huge chunks of yardage are at risk.

This is what killed us in Juron's defense.