So I just finished doing six hours of yard work...

...and I clean up and put everything away, and I walk from the workshop to the front door of the house.

And I look at the porch thermometer, and it's 68 degrees outside.

At 1:00 p.m.

In Texas.

On July 19th.

:worthy:

You are a liar! While it may be 68 degrees I call B.S. on you doing more than 6 minutes of yard work.

...and I clean up and put everything away, and I walk from the workshop to the front door of the house.

And I look at the porch thermometer, and it's 68 degrees outside.

At 1:00 p.m.

In Texas.

On July 19th.

:worthy:

Same here (Tulsa). Well, more like 4 hours. This is unquestionably, the coolest summer of my lifetime. I went to my tomato garden to do some pruning at about 6:00 this morning, and after a couple of minutes, I had to go back inside for a long sleeve shirt. We hat 60-65 degree weather all week. And two summers ago, Oklahoma set the all time record for the hottest month anywhere (avg daytime high -night time low). Unreal. I ain't complaining though!!!

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

Same here (Tulsa). Well, more like 4 hours. This is unquestionably, the coolest summer of my lifetime. I went to my tomato garden to do some pruning at about 6:00 this morning, and after a couple of minutes, I had to go back inside for a long sleeve shirt. We hat 60-65 degree weather all week. And two summers ago, Oklahoma set the all time record for the hottest month anywhere (avg daytime high -night time low). Unreal. I ain't complaining though!!!

Cool! Not to side track the thread... I never realized that Tulsa was an inland port! And... an upincoming one @ that... Intermodal facilities between rail, truck, and water. We get a lot of petro-chem movement here in Chicago from the Port of Catoosa. Kinda cool that you can go anywhere in the world by boat from Oklahoma... LoL Who would have thunk!

Cool! Not to side track the thread... I never realized that Tulsa was an inland port! And... an upincoming one @ that... Intermodal facilities between rail, truck, and water. We get a lot of petro-chem movement here in Chicago from the Port of Catoosa. Kinda cool that you can go anywhere in the world by boat from Oklahoma... LoL Who would have thunk!

Hmmm. I thought I mentioned that in one of your threads. Furthest inland port in the states, I think. Kerr-McGee. I've been through the locks in my fishn boat. Bout got run over by a barge when the engine wouldn't fire.

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

Hmmm. I thought I mentioned that in one of your threads. Furthest inland port in the states, I think. Kerr-McGee. I've been through the locks in my fishn boat. Bout got run over by a barge when the engine wouldn't fire.

Get a kicker motor.

I must have missed it... Or forgot KikoMonster... Sorry for forgetting about you! I have been working for the Corps almost 25 years on the lock in South Chicago... We are one of the busiest when you mix in commercial tows and pleasure boats... We do over 10 million tons and about 5,000 empty barges a year ALONG with 10's of thousands of recreational craft. It gets very hairy @ times since we are very narrow reach of river... Only 400 feet wide. I have seen it all. One time (many years ago when I assumed people didn't get blinders when on the water) I kept on asking a small boat along the lock's lower guidewall if he was broken down... Via the PA, I asked him to signal me with a hand wave... I thought he was just messing around, a lot of boaters will mess arouund up until the last second and then move out of the way... Well, here comes the tow, 700 long by 70 wide, 10,000 tons bearing down on him... Blasting his horn... I race to the lower wall on my golf cart and prepare to evacuate him onto the wall... After I read him the riot act... He yells back @ me: "What do you want me to do? I can't start my motor." I just calmly said: "First thing is: put down the beer." Literally, he still had his beer in his hand... Good thing was, a boat came off the marina across from the lock...Snatched his vessel and towed him to safety with a couple hundred feet to spare.

I have seen almost everything a boater can do when confronted with a commercial tow... Including get run over and die. I never assume anymore! It's like the board mods around here, gotta sometimes treat people like they are in kindergarten!

Stay safe!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Get a kicker motor.

I must have missed it... Or forgot KikoMonster... Sorry for forgetting about you! I have been working for the Corps almost 25 years on the lock in South Chicago... We are one of the busiest when you mix in commercial tows and pleasure boats... We do over 10 million tons and about 5,000 empty barges a year ALONG with 10's of thousands of recreational craft. It gets very hairy @ times since we are very narrow reach of river... Only 400 feet wide. I have seen it all. One time (many years ago when I assumed people didn't get blinders when on the water) I kept on asking a small boat along the lock's lower guidewall if he was broken down... Via the PA, I asked him to signal me with a hand wave... I thought he was just messing around, a lot of boaters will mess arouund up until the last second and then move out of the way... Well, here comes the tow, 700 long by 70 wide, 10,000 tons bearing down on him... Blasting his horn... I race to the lower wall on my golf cart and prepare to evacuate him onto the wall... After I read him the riot act... He yells back @ me: "What do you want me to do? I can't start my motor." I just calmly said: "First thing is: put down the beer." Literally, he still had his beer in his hand... Good thing was, a boat came off the marina across from the lock...Snatched his vessel and towed him to safety with a couple hundred feet to spare.

I have seen almost everything a boater can do when confronted with a commercial tow... Including get run over and die. I never assume anymore! It's like the board mods around here, gotta sometimes treat people like they are in kindergarten!

Stay safe!

Ohh, I was drinking, I'm sure. Twas a rainy day. I bet you've seen even bigger dum mies than me. We were downstream - Had about 45 minute wait. Was a great day, actually.

I bet you've seen even bigger dum mies than me.

Yeah ME! One time we were out exercising our upper end life boat. It is just a small aluminum flat bottom jon boat with a 40hp outboard. I am @ the helm (if you want to call it that... LoL) take it up river to The Lake (about 7 miles) to run it really good. I reach Calumet Harbor, the wind was blowing in (north, down the whole fetch of The Lake) that day and The Lake was breaking really good outside the breakswalls... Heck, whitecaps were breaking inside the breakwaters. So I follow an outbound ship, water was smooth as silk behind it... Until he leaves for the open lake... Good thing I processed it fast enough and turned around... Thinking, as soon as he leaves me, I will be in a flat bottom boat w/little freeboard and these wave breaking! It was bad enough coming about and heading back!