WGR Talking Hockey in Mid-July

ET1062

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well technically assuming both teams sell out all home games ...

Ralph capacity 73,967 * 8 home games = 591,736

FNC capacity 19,070 * 41 home games = 781,870

I do agree that the Bills have more fans in the area than the Sabres do. But I think it is probably a lot closer than you might think. The Sabres consistently draw very large TV audiences, even when they suck like recently.

I can tell by your posts that you do not care for hockey and that is fine. But be that as it may, Buffalo is a very strong hockey market. There is no question about that.

They are strong - for hockey. But, they are not even close to the Bills, which have unbelievable TV numbers.

I don't think anybody clicked on my link above:

The Bills' 23-21 victory over the Dolphins had ag 36.6 rating on Channel 4, making it the second highest-rated game of the season.

The only game this season with a bigger number was the Bills' road loss to the New York Jets, which had the advantage of having a late afternoon start that carried the game into prime time.

On the other hand, the slumping Buffalo Sabres' latest loss to Colorado on Saturday evening had a 4.8 rating, which is consistent with the team's slumping TV figures this season.

They are strong - for hockey. But, they are not even close to the Bills, which have unbelievable TV numbers.

I don't think anybody clicked on my link above:

The Bills' 23-21 victory over the Dolphins had ag 36.6 rating on Channel 4, making it the second highest-rated game of the season.

The only game this season with a bigger number was the Bills' road loss to the New York Jets, which had the advantage of having a late afternoon start that carried the game into prime time.

On the other hand, the slumping Buffalo Sabres' latest loss to Colorado on Saturday evening had a 4.8 rating, which is consistent with the team's slumping TV figures this season.

nonsense. Your using facts!!!! Stop it.

if you really think that the Sabres are a bigger draw in this town than the Bills, I really don't know what to tell you. Not to be rude here but you may be the most misinformed 40 year old I've ever spoken to. My opinion is that your incredibly naive and don't know what your talking about. You can believe what you want. Just because were minutes from Canada doesn't mean a thing. Were only a few hours from where football was started. It's no secret there are more football teams in the northeast than anywhere else in America. Yiu just sound like one of those angry hockey fans that think it deserves more attention. It's a fact... Hockey is the 4th most popular sport in the entire country. Behind football, basketball, and baseball. Honestly, I don't know how it beats out nascar. But keep thinking what you want. Have fun with your warped opinion.

There is no reason to be rude mrags, I agree. I'm assessing the situation as I see it unfolding not only in recent years, but across many decades. I do have a love for the Bills to be sure, but I cannot sugar coat what has gone on in WNY, and the Bills in general.

I realize you believe what you believe, but I work in the industry, and I can tell you directly, whether you realize it or not, Buffalo is more of a hockey town as opposed to a football town. Not by a large margin, but it is none the less.

I do hope all that respond to this post understand it is beyond opinion. You can put up all of the stats and articles you like, but I run numbers on the E industry here in WNY currently, and the Bills are not high on the list as of late. Sorry to burst your bubbles, but it is what it is.

it means that I don't consider hockey player athletes. That hockey barely registers as a sport considering it barely is ratings wise throughout this country. That nobody outside of the northeast or Canada in North America even cares about it. That idiot Neanderthals like Peters and Kaleta can make millions off being bad fighters that never win or run like pansies when someone tries to fight them. They can barely skate, yet many idolize these two assclowns.

How's that???

I know I'll hear a bunch of crap from the hockey lovers here. I don't care. It's my opinion. You aren't changing it so don't even try.

Kaletta is idolized simply for being a hometown hero.

There is no reason to be rude mrags, I agree. I'm assessing the situation as I see it unfolding not only in recent years, but across many decades. I do have a love for the Bills to be sure, but I cannot sugar coat what has gone on in WNY, and the Bills in general.

I realize you believe what you believe, but I work in the industry, and I can tell you directly, whether you realize it or not, Buffalo is more of a hockey town as opposed to a football town. Not by a large margin, but it is none the less.

I do hope all that respond to this post understand it is beyond opinion. You can put up all of the stats and articles you like, but I run numbers on the E industry here in WNY currently, and the Bills are not high on the list as of late. Sorry to burst your bubbles, but it is what it is.

i believe your work your doing is false. And it's not even close. Check ratings. Not even close. Others have posted that. I don't know where you do work for that you see this but I'd assume the company won't be around long of they keep up with information like that.

Kaletta is idolized simply for being a hometown hero.

and I can tell you he's a POS on the street.

When I worked for Ingram micro he was one of the hosts for a golf tournament there. Showed up hammered. Was hitting on every chick there. Made an ass of himself. Embarrassed the directors at Ingram that went out of their way to get him there.

I've also heard stories by other people that have seen him do things as stupid as trying to start fights with parents in the stands when he was younger because they would yell at him and things like that.

He's a POS. He doesn't deserve to be in sports.

i believe your work your doing is false. And it's not even close. Check ratings. Not even close. Others have posted that. I don't know where you do work for that you see this but I'd assume the company won't be around long of they keep up with information like that.

and I can tell you he's a POS on the street.

When I worked for Ingram micro he was one of the hosts for a golf tournament there. Showed up hammered. Was hitting on every chick there. Made an ass of himself. Embarrassed the directors at Ingram that went out of their way to get him there.

I've also heard stories by other people that have seen him do things as stupid as trying to start fights with parents in the stands when he was younger because they would yell at him and things like that.

He's a POS. He doesn't deserve to be in sports.

The same could be said of most of the 90s Bills and probably the current ones. Rich pro athletes acting like !@#$s is not exactly groundbreaking.

The same could be said of most of the 90s Bills and probably the current ones. Rich pro athletes acting like !@#$s is not exactly groundbreaking.

ok. Then how about this. He still sucks at hockey. The only good thing he does is he's a loud mouth idiot that creates penalties. He can barely skate. Can't score. When someone else pushes up on him he turtles like a punk

This thread should be closed at this point. What an idiotic post.

agreed, obviously theres no reasoning here but theres gotta be some underlying story behind his hatred for hockey -- cut from the hockey team back in the day? can't skate? bullied by a hockey player(kaleta)? how else do you such a profound hatefulness towards a sport? if you don't like hockey, fine, but a lot of people especially in Buffalo love it and thats a fact, and it will continue to be talked about on the radio. I usually love your posts Mrags and what you contribute to the board, but to say hockey isn't a sport and/or they are not athletes is childish. Who's a better athlete, a strong and fat 350 lb lineman that stands in front of a guy and blocks for 10 seconds and then gets a ~30 second break between plays, or skating non-stop 200ft from one end of the ice-rink to the other on what essentially is 2 razor blades for 20 minutes a game all while using a stick to pass and shoot the puck and avoid checks and block 100mph slapshots? how is one an athlete but the other isn't, in your mind? what is your definition of an athlete? not all hockey players are goons like kaleta, who you seem to hate, but he is absolutely considered an athlete regardless of whatever off-ice antics he pulls -- and players like him are slowly being pushed out of the league. Now, if you had said something like Nascar drivers are not athletes, at least there is an argument there and I would even agree, but theres no way you can honestly say that you don't think hockey players are athletes…(yet you will because you are stubbornly cemented into your position)

If I ever saw kaleta on the street id call him a punk to his face and laugh at how he gets beat up and can barely stand up on skates. Then I'd really laifh when his extremely short temper got the best of him and he tried to fight me. I'd sue him for the hundreds of thousands he's made in the league. Only after I kicked his ass.

Your take on hockey players being supreme athletes to football players is comical. As if hockey players don't take shifts. As of hockey players are constantly churning away like the road runner out on the ice. Only the best of them play 20 minutes a game. The others play less than that. Less than 15. And that doesn't account for all the time they spend gliding around the ice like fairies half the time. Or stand there and do nothing as 2 players pass a puck back and forth towards each other for 15 seconds but never take a shot.

NASCAR is tougher than hockey. I've driven a stock car before. It's hard work. Best way to describe it would be to sit on the edge of your couch, holding a 4" thick hard cover encyclopedia in front of your and not letting your arms drop. For those of you that are old enough to remember what it's like driving a car without power steering, multiply it by about 20. Then yiu have to account for constantly holding the wheel to the right at all times because the cars are set up to constantly take left turns so much that if you didn't hold the wheel constantly you'd be spinning in circles. Then there's the one piece suit your wearing. The heat inside the car reaching over 100* at all times for 4 hours. The fact that you can't move your head more than an inch or so to each side. The constant concentration that you most deal with whole driving 150+ mph with 40 other cars within inches if your bumpers.

:-)

Edited by mrags

So it's not nascar site? Well my face is red.

i didn't bring NASCAR into the conversation. Someone else did. I was simply explaining my opinion based on experience (something that not many here can claim) in a race car. Thanks for playing.

You're in what industry? Running numbers on the E industry? I assume that is internet hits or something?

How would that be more relevant than TV ratings being 5-10 X as high for the Bills?