What is better, no guns, or more guns?

44 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Almost certainly not. Such a tax would be obviously punitive, having no relationship to the state’s general need to raise revenue, or to any cost imposed on the state by the sale of ammunition.

When a tax is obviously punitive, the courts will assume that the state’s intention is to effectively ban the thing taxed, and will analyze the tax regulation as if it were a ban of the thing in question.

While the Supreme Court has not fleshed out the scope of the Second Amendment’s individual rights to possess arms all that clearly, I find it exceedingly doubtful that a categorical ban on “bullets” of all sorts, regardless of material, type, caliber, or other characteristic, would meet muster under either the federal Second Amendment or the right-to-bear-arms provisions that exist in the constitutions of every US state, and thus a ban in the form of a prohibitive tax would be found unconstitutional.

It’s also possible that a court would find such a tax to be “irrational” and strike it down under the Fourteenth Amendment for serving no rational purpose, although frankly I would expect that option to be taken only by a court that wished to avoid ruling on the issue on the basis of the Second Amendment for some reason.

The federal government already imposes an excise tax on both firearms and ammunition (10 to 11 percent; the money goes to fund various wildlife programs), and many states and municipalities impose sales or excise taxes on firearms and ammunition sales as well.

The issue is not whether such transactions can be taxed at all, but whether an obviously punitive tax can be used as an end run around the prohibition on banning such goods. And the answer to that is fairly clearly no.

Oh boy! This will be fun!! Tax the sh it out of them!! 

And, of course, allow murder victim's families the right to sue these merchants of death, too 

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

People often reload their own ya dummy. 

34 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

And, of course, allow murder victim's families the right to sue these merchants of death, too 

Merchants of death.  🤣

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

More guns, sadly, is the answer.  
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/05/04/louisville-diner-pulls-gun-on-blm-protesters-video-shows/amp/

Judge Scalia in his Heller opinion for the majority indicated that the second amendment right is not absolute in that there needed to be further debate on who could be denied a weapon (such as criminal  history of mental status) or whether certain weapons could legally be banned.  Of course, some geniuses will now say Scalia was a RINO or not a conservative.  One of the most brilliant conservative minds of the last century.

Washington Post photographer sets out to change negative portrayal of black gun owners (by whom?)

Two things inevitably happen when someone posts a photo of black men with guns on Twitter. First, liberals flood the replies with, “Well, Republicans are going to call for gun control tomorrow.” Second, conservatives (and actual gun owners) say more power to them, and more people of every race should have a gun to protect themselves.

It was just last month when The Hill posted a story about gun ownership soaring among blacks

Now the Washington Post has decided that black gun owners are usually portrayed in a negative light, and they sent out their photographer to change that.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/05/05/washington-post-photographer-sets-out-to-change-negative-portrayal-of-black-gun-owners-by-whom/

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

See why it’s an absolute waste of time to “debate” you?

Why?  So what do you respond with?  Give me *****. Bring it. What’s wrong with the point I’ve made?  You do understand how a debate works right?  Oh wait. No I don’t think you do. 

Shall I spoon feed you your argument for you?

”But Jim. They’ve only had control of all three branches for four months!!”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1