What is better, no guns, or more guns?

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

And why do you think this is the case? Do you have any proposed solutions?

Well your claim is it’s only republicans doing the violence. These groups of people aren’t republicans. They vote democrat. So perhaps instead of blaming republicans change your tune. Don’t be a ***** moron. 

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Well your claim is it’s only republicans doing the violence. These groups of people aren’t republicans. They vote democrat. So perhaps instead of blaming republicans change your tune. Don’t be a ***** moron. 

Wrong. 

I never claimed it was only republicans causing violence. That’s just projection on your part. 

My claim is that more guns = more gun deaths. Which is correct and supported by the data. 

The only reason I mentioned anything about parties is to refute the obviously wrong claim that Dems drive violence. 

4 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Wrong. 

I never claimed it was only republicans causing violence. That’s just projection on your part. 

My claim is that more guns = more gun deaths. Which is correct and supported by the data. 

The only reason I mentioned anything about parties is to refute the obviously wrong claim that Dems drive violence. 

but the members of your party are the ones commuting the higher rates of violence. Why?  Since you’re the data guy explain why the data shows the higher rates of gun crimes for certain groups of people? It’s against the law to use a gun in a crime. 

54 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

You answer but your answer makes no sense and isn’t backed by reality or data. 

I find it hilarious that you accuse *me* of cherry picking when that’s all you’ve got. It’s literally what you’re doing right now. 

We know state laws do have impacts on crime, studies show this. You ignore it because it doesn’t fit the answer you want to be true. 

If Dems caused violence, NYC would be the most violent place in the country. The most dangerous places would be ones controlled entirely by the Dems. But they aren’t, so you’re just flat wrong. 

I will explain one last time in the simplest way I can. Having a local Dem controlled government is a requirement for a high violent crime rate. The fact that you can't show me ONE example to counter my factual statement, that liberal cities are more violent then the surrounding conservative areas, is not something I need a study to tell me. You are either not intelligent enough or too politically bent to recognize that conservative areas do not have similar crime rates to liberal ones, and arguing otherwise is insane. 

31 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Wrong. 

Truly your entire point is guns are needed for gun deaths? So when we eliminate guns and knives become the primary weapon of murder will you want to ban them also? 

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

but the members of your party are the ones commuting the higher rates of violence. Why?  Since you’re the data guy explain why the data shows the higher rates of gun crimes for certain groups of people? It’s against the law to use a gun in a crime. 

If your contention is that Republicans cause violent crime, the fact that urban liberal areas have high crime rates proves you wrong. 

If your contention is that Democrats cause violent crime, the fact that it is states run by Republicans that have the highest homicide rates proves you wrong. 

If your contention is that more guns means more gun deaths, the fact that the most violent places are urban areas where guns are easier to obtain fits your theory quite nicely. 

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

You might as well ask water to not be wet.

10 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

If your contention is that Republicans cause violent crime, the fact that urban liberal areas have high crime rates proves you wrong. 

If your contention is that Democrats cause violent crime, the fact that it is states run by Republicans that have the highest homicide rates proves you wrong. 

If your contention is that more guns means more gun deaths, the fact that the most violent places are urban areas where guns are easier to obtain fits your theory quite nicely. 

mom saying there are certain groups choosing to cause violent crimes more than others the laws aren’t causing them to commit crimes. Perhaps they should stop choosing to commit gun crimes? 

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

mom saying there are certain groups choosing to cause violent crimes more than others the laws aren’t causing them to commit crimes. Perhaps they should stop choosing to commit gun crimes? 

How’d they get the guns?

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

How’d they get the guns?

They usually steal them or use straw buyers both of which are illegal to do. You should tell them to stop choosing to commit crimes so we can have a proper society. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

They usually steal them or use straw buyers both of which are illegal to do. You should tell them to stop choosing to commit crimes so we can have a proper society. 

How come they are able to steal so many guns?

10 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

How come they are able to steal so many guns?

Because lots of people are choosing to commit crimes. This isn’t hard. Stop committing crimes and there’s no crime

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Because lots of people are choosing to commit crimes. This isn’t hard. Stop committing crimes and there’s no crime

Well, wishing isn’t really an effective policy. 

Maybe if there were better safe storage laws across the country, fewer guns would be stolen to be used in crimes. Mandatory reporting of stolen guns would probably help as well. 

32 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Well, wishing isn’t really an effective policy. 

Maybe if there were better safe storage laws across the country, fewer guns would be stolen to be used in crimes. Mandatory reporting of stolen guns would probably help as well. 

shooting people is illegal and plenty of laws against it. Stealing a gun is illegal, straw purchases are illegal. Why not figure out why these people kill people at impressive rates?  Have you thought about that?  You’re a self proclaimed data guy right? 

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

shooting people is illegal and plenty of laws against it. Stealing a gun is illegal, straw purchases are illegal. Why not figure out why these people kill people at impressive rates?  Have you thought about that?  You’re a self proclaimed data guy right? 

Why do you think that people commit crimes?

7 hours ago, aristocrat said:

why do you answer questions with a questio?

Just trying to get a better understanding of your position while also trying to arrive at root causes that may be actionable through policy. 

It’s very common for people to say “you’re a conservative so you believe X, Y, and Z” or “you’re a liberal so you believe A, B, C,” and I think that’s bad for discourse and understanding where people are actually coming from. I would rather let them tell me what they believe than for me to just assume it based on what bucket I’ve mentally sorted them into. 

Additionally, I find root cause analysis tools like the 5 Whys to be helpful at drilling down at what’s actually causing an issue. Helps to avoid just retreating to priors.

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, aristocrat said:

why do you answer questions with a questio?

Cause it wanted to throw the canned script at you and it needed the narrative flipped first. 

And then it just runs with insane strawman.

• Eyeroll 1