Training Camp Trip: Where to eat/drink/stay

We'r just going to have to agree to disagree-- strongly-- on that one!

Good to know! I'm going to be back on August 10th. Can't wait!

Its not just the sauce, the wings are huge and cooked to perfection everytime . jessus i think i am drooling.

Sal's birdland is classic Rochester too though .

Weo i have not been to Nicks since i was able to stay up till 2 am , and that was a long time ago ! Those were the days though a plate and a a hooker and then a hangover .

This has turned into one fantastic thread everyone.

Welcome to Rochester !!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I'm very familiar with a good number of the plates available. Nick's was my first, and is still a favorite, but alas, they are small for a guy like me. There used to be a place call Big Dawgs that made a Bandit-approved-size plate, but they've gone the way of the Dodo bird unfortunately. Today, Dogtown is my current favorite, as they seem to have both the size and quality I like. I will have to check out the version at Sticky Lips though if it's that large, as I do like their food.

I haven't been to James Browns; I'll have to check it out as both Mrs. Bandit and I are big-time breakfast fans.

Mrs. Bandit took the boys (they're 17 months now) to Strong a week or so ago...they absolutely loved it. Apparently the mini-Wegmans was a huge hit. One of my best friends went to Eastman so I was there a fair amount in the late 90's.

Very glad to here Mrs Bandit took the opportunity and the tykes enjoyed it !

As far as James Browns be prepared to stand outside with everyone else for a bit ( leave the kids home maybe ?

But watching the cooks is just a treat . these guys are serious

Last visit i walked over and shook his hand i was so impressed with his multi tasking skills . And Mr Brown is a gentleman

After that head up the street to Donuts Delite, Neat art deco historical place owne by Salvatores now but the crazy donuts are something to try once , or twice . They have what they call footballs . Take a look if you have time and your blood sugars can stand it !

Go where the real locals go..Thirstys!! Hole in the wall sticky floor . The only real bar in Pittsford

Lol . its true enough. Been a long time. Hard to find if you dont know where to look.

I think Pittsford or Bushnells Basin will be best if you have a rental car. You can get to Pitsford Sutherland school easily for your shuttle to Training camp. BB is very small. Pittsford is a nice walk about lots little shops and nifty olde buildings and the canal is right there.

But its seems there is a lot to offer in the Rochester area for all sorts of eating drinking and places to stay.

I think we locals sometimes forget about , we have it pretty good here

Plus on Mt Hope you get people from Strong Hospital as well as UofR students.

OK this one pushed me over the edge. I'm trying the plate there! :)

Never been to James Browns, but damn that does look like a good breakfast menu. A bit far for me to go for breakfast, but it also is on my list now :)

I know this thread started for the out of towners, but I'm getting some good info too! :)

I like the cincinatti dog. And i dont even like onion rings but theres ar fantastic for sure. And super nice people. Take a walk while you eat your dogs . Eclectic area and interesting characters abound. Just start walking North !

Not a big thai fan, but Saks is good.

Whattaya cuisineat the East end of university is nice too for thai..

Great little sandwich and fine owners.

Astro you have a fine list.

well done

i wonder how many times i have crossed you folks paths over the years. Very few spots mentioned for eating or drinking have i not spent some time in

Agreed. Saks is without a doubt the best thai food in the area. Spent a little time in Bangkok and I'd say Saks is the real deal. Try the som tum or larb next time you go.

Pattayas in penfield 4 corners. Try Guidas pizza too. Next store. Tell Chris Bears, the owner and good football guy I sent you

The folks at Marias in Webster are my friends and my kids worked there years ago . If you see Heiko back there cooking tell him Eric Rapp sent you.

He is a world champion in Judo, and teacher and as sweet a fellow you will ever meet , food is excellent. Blue Cactus in Fairport has some authentic mexican too

Edited by 3rdand12

We'r just going to have to agree to disagree-- strongly-- on that one!

Good to know! I'm going to be back on August 10th. Can't wait!

No! Country Sweet=tooo sweet. Sal's much better--more mustard/vinegar along with the sweet. Put extra sauce in the mac salad!

Agree with Black and Blue for steak. Best in town, easily--just get the 16 oz NY strip--no sauces.

No love for King and I?

For a bit out of the way---the Bayside at the bay/lake on the Webster side. Have a Bud and the pot pie in this tiny dive on the water.

Also, bring the family for Hibachi at Sokura Home (close to camp) or Sogo (better food, Webster, 20 min away).

Dogtown is ok...they are trying too hard with that menu, though. Don't go if you just want a few with onions, mustard and relish. Have yet to try their plate though.

No! Country Sweet=tooo sweet. Sal's much better--more mustard/vinegar along with the sweet. Put extra sauce in the mac salad!

Agree with Black and Blue for steak. Best in town, easily--just get the 16 oz NY strip--no sauces.

No love for King and I?

For a bit out of the way---the Bayside at the bay/lake on the Webster side. Have a Bud and the pot pie in this tiny dive on the water.

Also, bring the family for Hibachi at Sokura Home (close to camp) or Sogo (better food, Webster, 20 min away).

Dogtown is ok...they are trying too hard with that menu, though. Don't go if you just want a few with onions, mustard and relish. Have yet to try their plate though.

You ever been to Tournedos or Max Chophouse for that matter? Quality of meat is much better IMO.

No love for King and I?

King and I is pretty pedestrian, in my opinion. Black and Blue is good, but Tournedos dry aged cuts are where its at. Char at the Strathallan does a nice bone-in ribeye as well. Unfortunately thats about the only thing Char does well. Chateaubriand at Cure is some of the finest beef I've ever had, but its not always on the menu.

No love for King and I?

Did hibachi recently at Plum Garden in Pittsford Plaza. Not impressed. Will have to try Sakura Home or Sogo, although doing a search, both scored lower on Google reviews.

Did hibachi recently at Plum Garden in Pittsford Plaza. Not impressed. Will have to try Sakura Home or Sogo, although doing a search, both scored lower on Google reviews.

Agree about Plum Garden. The kids enjoyed the show, but the food was at best average, and that may be stretching it.

King and I is pretty pedestrian, in my opinion. Black and Blue is good, but Tournedos dry aged cuts are where its at. Char at the Strathallan does a nice bone-in ribeye as well. Unfortunately thats about the only thing Char does well. Chateaubriand at Cure is some of the finest beef I've ever had, but its not always on the menu.

King and is where the Vietnamese eat.

Been to Max's. I like the Strip at B and B better. Tournedos had the medallions of beef a long time ago. Felt like a meal I could get anywhere in town.

Agree about Plum Garden. The kids enjoyed the show, but the food was at best average, and that may be stretching it.

Look, all these Hibachi places are going to be similar. Plum House is an old dumpy joint--the first one around. Sokura Home is in the old chinese place on Monroe where the owner would play ukelele and sing "Tiny Bubbles" near a small volcano--I think it was called the Aloha back then.. Now it's totally renovated, nice staff. Sogo is near me in Webster and the kids like it.

Thirsty's is an aging Lax Bro joint.

Been to Max's. I like the Strip at B and B better. Tournedos had the medallions of beef a long time ago. Felt like a meal I could get anywhere in town.

Look, all these Hibachi places are going to be similar. Plum House is an old dumpy joint--the first one around. Sokura Home is in the old chinese place on Monroe where the owner would play ukelele and sing "Tiny Bubbles" near a small volcano--I think it was called the Aloha back then.. Now it's totally renovated, nice staff. Sogo is near me in Webster and the kids like it.

The Vietnamese eat at SEA Restaurant, Pho Duong Dong, Whatta Banh Mi, and Pho Viet. Probably because those are vietnamese restaurants whereas King and I is a really mediocre thai restaurant. Half the people there are ordering kung pao and sesame chicken.

I will refrain from commenting on hibachi.

Thirsty's is for local kids who are home from college and members of the Jimmy Buffet fan club.

The Vietnamese eat at SEA Restaurant, Pho Duong Dong, Whatta Banh Mi, and Pho Viet. Probably because those are vietnamese restaurants whereas King and I is a really mediocre thai restaurant. Half the people there are ordering kung pao and sesame chicken.

Thirsty's is for local kids who are home from college and members of the Jimmy Buffet fan club.

Probably best Pho in city.

Fair enough. B & B isn't bad, I just think the dry aged beef at Max and Tournedos is better.

That the place near the Bug Jar? Ate there long ago. It was good.

As for thirsty's, I believe that's what I said.

After growing up in Rochester, then living briefly in NY, then briefly in San Fran, then for 23 years in Los Angeles, and visiting Rochester every year, I have decided it's best to steer clear of Rochester Chinese food.

But there used to be a really great place with terrible Chinese food and excellent tropical drinks, and a tiki theme with a volcano behind the bar. I think it was in Pittsford. Maybe it was called the Aloha, or something like that? Is that still around?

After growing up in Rochester, then living briefly in NY, then briefly in San Fran, then for 23 years in Los Angeles, and visiting Rochester every year, I have decided it's best to steer clear of Rochester Chinese food.

But there used to be a really great place with terrible Chinese food and excellent tropical drinks, and a tiki theme with a volcano behind the bar. I think it was in Pittsford. Maybe it was called the Aloha, or something like that? Is that still around?

I mentioned this briefly upstream. The Aloha is now a hibachi place. Completely different than the old place!