My idea for a rule change

I was just watching Rugby (an interesting game when played at a high level) and noticed that when a team scores, they receive the ball on the ensuing kickoff instead of kicking it away like they do in tackle football. I guess the theory is that a team should keep the ball on offense until the other team stops them.

Changing tackle football to be this way could make for more interesting games when the score is close at the end, eliminating the onside kick which rarely works anyway. Of course it could also make blowout games even more lopsided.

One potential problem I see is field goals. Teams could just keep kicking them all game and getting the ball back. Maybe the rule would need to be you get the ball back only after scoring a touchdown.

Thoughts?

Edited by CodeMonkey

Well, it would just seem like a normal bills game if the team got the ball back after they scored so why not.

Seriously though, it would be too lopsided as you said. I could see a team going up 28-0 in the first quarter. It happens the way the rule is now but not often. I feel like fans would get discouraged early in the game which would hurt ratings.

I was just watching Rugby (an interesting game when played at a high level) and noticed that when a team scores, they receive the ball on the ensuing kickoff instead of kicking it away like they do in tackle football. I guess the theory is that a team should keep the ball on offense until the other team stops them.

Changing tackle football to be this way could make for more interesting games when the score is close at the end, eliminating the onside kick which rarely works anyway. Of course it could also make blowout games even more lopsided.

One potential problem I see is field goals. Teams could just keep kicking them all game and getting the ball back. Maybe the rule would need to be you get the ball back only after scoring a touchdown.

Thoughts?

Here is a variation on your rule:

You get the ball back only if you successfully make a 2-point conversion after a TD.

I wonder how that would play out.

You get the ball back only if you successfully make a 2-point conversion after a TD.

Unless you moved the 2 or conversion back about 25 yards, you'd simply get teams going for it 100% of the time. Success would be worth about 4-5 anticipated points (2 scored plus 2-3 from an extra possession)...

Unless you meant no points - in which case it'd be closer but if you pulled up the average points per drive after a kickoff you'd get the answer.

Edited by NoSaint

Pretty silly conceptually. It would turn the NFL into an offense first league. Right now it's at least balanced.

The way the rules are for PI for example I'd say it already is an offense first league.

Here is an interesting variation...

Once you score- any kind of score, you kick off the ball to the opposition and allow your defense the opportunity to get the ball back to your offense...

How about the defense needing to actually stop the opponent in order for the offense to get the ball.

Unless you moved the 2 or conversion back about 25 yards, you'd simply get teams going for it 100% of the time. Success would be worth about 4-5 anticipated points (2 scored plus 2-3 from an extra possession)...

Unless you meant no points - in which case it'd be closer but if you pulled up the average points per drive after a kickoff you'd get the answer.

I think the 2-pt conversion success rate is around 40%-45% (though there isn't enough data for teams to really know their own rate for sure).

Last year, most teams averaged about 2 points per drive. (Broncos were at league best 3; jags were at league worst 1.27). Most teams averaged about the same for points allowed per drive.

I am sure someone who is better at math can figure this out, but my sense is that it could pose an interesting analysis.

Thats an interesting thought. with or without the Rugby rules

That would get around the field goal issue I brought up as well. Another interesting idea.

There would need to be a strong reason to make such a drastic change to the rules.

Yes, it would probably increase scoring. Yes it would probably make both offense and defense more aggressive.

But it would also make the old records obsolete. Big time.

True, football is not (stupid, boring) baseball, which has hard-core stats geeks. But imagine (stupid, boring) baseball giving a team a fresh new 3 outs for hitting a home-run. Baseball fans would all have a stroke on the spot.

Edited by maddenboy