Should the Bills go No-Huddle?

No Huddle?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hackett, and the Bills run a No-Huddle Offense?

• Yes. It makes our offense more effective.
    • No. It is not a good fit for our team.

I like the no huddle ... when it's appropriate. We shouldn't be married to it. If it's not being effective, abandon it. When it's effective, it tires the opposing defense. When it's ineffective, it tires OUR defense.

And if we are up by 2 scores or more, don't use the no huddle. Kill the clock.

I'd just like to see them be smart about it. If used properly, I love it.

Totally agreed, especially after seeing them blow a few games last year..........

Do I like the no-huddle? In the immortal words of T.O. - "no, not really."

Use it to change up once they establish the power running game we all imagine Doug & Nat are building.

Maybe, but EJ hasn't shown much when it comes to making fast reads of the D.

I believe this is one of the things that comes with experience. Even if Manuel was good at reading defenses in college, that won't immediately transfer to the NFL.

I think another issue with the no-huddle, is that it severely limits the level of communication between players. It's not just Manuel's inexperience that concerns me. Our receiving corp is young, also. That's what bothers me about Hackett's apparent commitment to the no-huddle. That lack of communication might work great in training camp, against a defense (our own) that they know well. But, once they're up against the Bears, for example, I think the huddle is going to be pretty important.

I know that limiting of communication happens on both sides of the ball in a no-huddle. But, I have to wonder who that will affect more: the Bear's D, or our O? And, I don't want to wait two or three games to see if it works. I think we should get our offense running smoothly before we start going no-huddle.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Everything in moderation. I'm sure a bunch of us can remember how frustrating it was watching Super Bowl 25. Especially the third quarter. A team that runs the ball as effectively as the giants did was torturous. But, then look at the no punt game. I agree that it requires some feel and thinking however (patriots game last year was exactly how not to run it). No huddle to get the lead, ball control and slow it down with the run after a 2 score lead is right on IMO.

Unless your offense is vastly superior to the other team's then the answer is they shouldn't run a no huddle. Both team's offenses get more snaps when the Bills run the no huddle. Do we really want other team's offenses having more snaps?

NO.. to many young players on offense that would benefit from a huddle, confusion can turn to clarity much quicker with communication that a huddle provides. If running the ball is our bread and butter it just seems more logical to take the time to huddle up and keep the clock ticking. Keep and mind we have Brady twice a year and the less he is on the field the better. At least we have to be able to realize when the no huddle is not working during a game and adjust back to a huddle, instead of previous regimes which waited until after a loss or several losses before they realized that their schemes weren't working. But in the words of Darryl Talley " If you've got this well oiled machine, don't stop it on my account"

The no huddle is a catch 22. If the offense is working and moving the ball down the field, it's not just a good thing, but a great thing. The defense doesn't have time for substitutions or for as many adjustments to what the offense wants to do. The problem is that when it is NOT working, that it puts tremendous pressure on your defense. We saw this last year late in games when the defense was tired. The Bills lost the battle of the clock and eventually, it cost them a win. At the end of the day, it's not the no huddle or nothing. It can be a mix.

I'm skeptical, mainly because I think it might be a better idea to get used to the playbook at a slower pace, gel 1st running the plays, then move on to the no huddle,

but also trying to keep an open mind because it does put Defenses on their collective heels when the Offense is in sync.

Interesting how as this discussion has slowly progressed, the poll has gradually shifted from "yes" to the no-huddle to slightly favoring "no." Many have pointed out that it doesn't have to be used so often-- only when it is effective. That is certainly true. What gives me pause are the statements that Hackett had made regarding his up-tempo, no-huddle philosophy. Here is a link to an interview that serves as a prime example: http://www.buffaloru...o-bills-offense

On the plus side, the idea of running more plays to get all of your talent's hands on the ball is great. Four talented running backs? Get the ball to all four of them, and don't give the opposition a chance to adjust. Same with the receivers. That's a great philosophy when you have deep talent in those two positions, which we seem to have.

What bothers me in this article, is Hackett's almost cavalier attitude regarding his up-tempo approach. When it was pointed out that his offense, last season, had run the third most plays in the NFL, his response was, "yeah, we should've ran more." It seems to me that the only way we would've run more plays is if we had made more first downs. In other words, if we had played more efficiently. I don't know that speeding up our offense would've increased our efficiency-- quite the opposite.

There's a fine line between swagger, and arrogance, and I wonder which side of that line Hackett stands. Up-tempo is great, if your team is efficient. If your team isn't, increasing the tempo (IMO) isn't going to increase your efficiency. As I mentioned before, I want to see our offense running efficiently, against an opposing team, first. Then, increase the tempo.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Interesting how as this discussion has slowly progressed, the poll has gradually shifted from "yes" to the no-huddle to slightly favoring "no." Many have pointed out that it doesn't have to be used so often-- only when it is effective. That is certainly true. What gives me pause are the statements that Hackett had made regarding his up-tempo, no-huddle philosophy. Here is a link to an interview that serves as a prime example: http://www.buffaloru...o-bills-offense

On the plus side, the idea of running more plays to get all of your talent's hands on the ball is great. Four talented running backs? Get the ball to all four of them, and don't give the opposition a chance to adjust. Same with the receivers. That's a great philosophy when you have deep talent in those two positions, which we seem to have.

What bothers me in this article, is Hackett's almost cavalier attitude regarding his up-tempo approach. When it was pointed out that his offense, last season, had run the third most plays in the NFL, his response was, "yeah, we should've ran more." It seems to me that the only way we would've run more plays is if we had made more first downs. In other words, if we had played more efficiently. I don't know that speeding up our offense would've increased our efficiency-- quite the opposite.

There's a fine line between swagger, and arrogance, and I wonder which side of that line Hackett stands. Up-tempo is great, if your team is efficient. If your team isn't, increasing the tempo (IMO) isn't going to increase your efficiency. As I mentioned before, I want to see our offense running efficiently, against an opposing team, first. Then, increase the tempo.

this post is well sorted i would agree .

One note though .

I truly think Nathaniel agrees with you one hundred percent.

And i agree with both of you. They need to become more efficient . match ups . ryhthym and knowing when the no huddle can take advantage of a tired defense is what i wish for.

There is no " If "or " That ". the key is the right mix and controlling the tempo .

Another point as made i noticed previously. And that is, it might be too soon to lean on a no huddle or even hurry up offense for this young crew. But when they do get the hang of it , this team might have the personell . I think it depends on the fat kids up front. Can they hold up. These are big boys this year .

Mix it up Nate . Keep us guessing little Buddy !

Edited by 3rdand12