The Leftovers

Mark80

I typically love most HBO series, but after two episodes I'm really not quite sure what to think of this one. I've found it pretty boring so far and am debating how many more episodes I'm going to watch before giving up on it. To be fair, I was pretty disappointed with True Detective at first as well and ending up loving it.

So anyone else watching? Thoughts? Anyone read the book? Worth sticking around for?

I have them DVR'd and haven't taken the plunge yet, but every review / critique I've read about the show claims that the show doesn't truly start until the third episode where it "gets awesome". I'm skeptical of that claim, but willing to give Lindelof and HBO a shot, so I'll watch the first three episodes this sunday and then decide.

i really like it. wife thinks it's nihlistic and she's right but i think it's compelling. was expecting something more like what i've heard about "left behind". not read that but i'm guessing this is pretty dissimilar.

I am sitting this one out, I think...I typically give any HBO show a shot (they have a pretty strong batting average IMO), but this one just doesn't compell me to want to watch at all...it looks like one of those "Lost" (which I haven't watched mind you) kind of puzzle shows...keeps people talking, guessing...but ultimately, it seems the payoff is in the build-up...not in the resolution.

I feel compelled to recommend the show "Rectify" (again) to anyone looking for something more grounded in reality, that features oustanding acting, great dialouge and a compelling story... it is on the Sundance Channel. The first season is only 6 episodes, they are about 4 episodes into the second season... it is about a guy who gets released from prison, after 19 years on death-row... it isn't all the cliches you might expect from a storyline like that...just about him trying to assimilate back into society...it is a great show. It was created by some of the folks who worked on "Breaking Bad". It isn't a fast action show, so if that is your criterion, it may not be for you. I am pretty sure it is on Netflix too... strange, we live in a time when there are so many great shows on telelvison, but so many awful ones too...the golden age indeed!

Though I can see that many would find this show too slow etc......IMO it has been outstanding.

It may well lose its way as the story progressess but so far I am very impressed with the show.

OMG This show is an excersize in futility, desperation, and pretense. I keep waitng for somethng to happen, because it's HBO and they always have great programming, but THIS is just dreadful, self indulgent tripe. I'm done with it.

I am sitting this one out, I think...I typically give any HBO show a shot (they have a pretty strong batting average IMO), but this one just doesn't compell me to want to watch at all...it looks like one of those "Lost" (which I haven't watched mind you) kind of puzzle shows...keeps people talking, guessing...but ultimately, it seems the payoff is in the build-up...not in the resolution.

So funny you wrote this...my wife and I saw the previews and put in on the DVR list because it looked interesting. Then I saw it was being done by the creator of 'Lost' and I said to her, "uh oh." We never watched 'Lost' either and never had interest...then saw how people really trashed the way it ended. Thought we would give 'Leftovers' a shot so we watched the first episode -- no thanks.

I'm not expecting absolute reality in all of the shows I watch, but I can't do the "unexplained mystery" thing in a fictional show that is supposedly set in "real life."

If it's supposed to be sci-fi, fine -- I'll suspend earthly belief. If it's a "fantasy" show (i.e., GoT) I can enter that world.

Really glad I haven't continued watching.

• 3 weeks later...