Most overrated current Bill?

Kiko- most fans have him in the hall of fame already. Not big/strong enough to play in the middle. Let's see what he does outside.

Wasn't too small to play mike in the pro bowl...

well, according to all reports, he lit it up in the Spring practices . . . sorry, he'll be back and "open' for business in 2014

Exactly what I am trying to say... He's made out to be awesome... "Hogan is tearing up the OTAs" who cares... When the pads go on, he's proven to be slower and possess less than reliable hands...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This coming from someone who is frequently "out on a limb" regarding players? FJ is at the top of my list. I love the way he plays, can't emphasize that enough, but, at the end of the day what does it mean? Until the team is successful it means bupkis.

No Fred Jackson last year and at best, we go 2-14. EJ orchestrated that drive at the end of the Panthers game, but Freddy executed it. Him dropping that pass on purpose was unreal awareness. Plays like that are why he's worth his weight in gold to the fans. He's been the best player on this team for years, so I don't see how he can be overrated.

No Fred Jackson last year and at best, we go 2-14. EJ orchestrated that drive at the end of the Panthers game, but Freddy executed it. Him dropping that pass on purpose was unreal awareness. Plays like that are why he's worth his weight in gold to the fans. He's been the best player on this team for years, so I don't see how he can be overrated.

I totally agree and Im a huge Fred Jackson fan. But on the other hand,,if he gets a TD in the KC game from the 1 yard line Tuel never throws the INT and the Bills win that game.

It seems weird to me that this is even being debated in this thread. This seems more like a discussion that should be in the other "Most Underrated" thread. In fact, if you google "Fred Jackson underrated," you'll get numerous hits going back several years. For example: http://www.rantsports.com/fantasy/2014/06/01/2014-fantasy-football-profile-rb-fred-jackson/ . I chose that one because it is current. He is often referred to in the media as, "the perennially underrated Fred Jackson."

We all know he is about to be aged out. And, we all know his production is going to slide with age, so I don't really see anyone talking about him having another 1,000+ yard season. But, I suspect that at the end of the year, he will have exceeded expectations-- just like he always does.

Every time I see Lee Smith on the field I cringe. Perhaps he is actually as good as blocking as I often hear. Maybe I don't pay close enough attention. I seem to notice all those holding flags that get thrown on him that bring back big plays though, as another poster mentioned. He's about as useful in the pass game as Garrison Sanborn.

2-14

4-12

6-10

bupkis

2-14

4-12

6-10

bupkis

I don't understand what you're trying to say? What was Barry Sanders' career W-L record?

Is Freddy good enough to put the team on his back and dredge out a 9-7 season? Nope. Does that make him "overrated?" Nope.

I don't understand what you're trying to say? What was Barry Sanders' career W-L record?

Is Freddy good enough to put the team on his back and dredge out a 9-7 season? Nope. Does that make him "overrated?" Nope.

Fred Jackson is nowhere near Barry Sanders; not on his best day.

I love Fred. But even the Bad News Bears had a "best player on the team." And no way did Fred account for an extra 4-5 wins.

I don't know any Bills fan who doesn't love Fred Jackson. He plays with a lot of heart and has done great things for a few years. But he's not an NFL great, by any means.

They'd be a 5-11 team or so without Jackson. Same record they'd be without Spiller or Mario.

Fred Jackson is nowhere near Barry Sanders; not on his best day.

I love Fred. But even the Bad News Bears had a "best player on the team." And no way did Fred account for an extra 4-5 wins.

I don't know any Bills fan who doesn't love Fred Jackson. He plays with a lot of heart and has done great things for a few years. But he's not an NFL great, by any means.

I'm putting this on the "Most Underrated" thread as an example of how FJ is underrated.

They'd be a 5-11 team or so without Jackson. Same record they'd be without Spiller or Mario.

Neither Spiller nor Mario are leaders like Jackson.

I'm putting this on the "Most Underrated" thread as an example of how FJ is underrated.

Good thinking.

Barry Sanders is a HOF back, his numbers don't need to be regurgitated here to show you how sill a comparison you are making. Fred's a great guy, great teammate and one I'd defend on most everything. Please though, don't overestimate his contributions to a lower mediocre football team.

Neither Spiller nor Mario are leaders like Jackson.

& that has gotten the team what? Ahhhh yes...bupkis.

Offense - CJ Spiller.

I hear a lot of "he could score anytime he touches the football." The only problem with that is...he doesn't.

Defense - Stephon Gilmore

He's made a handful of big plays, but been burned and penalized far more often.

Barry Sanders is a HOF back, his numbers don't need to be regurgitated here to show you how sill a comparison you are making. Fred's a great guy, great teammate and one I'd defend on most everything. Please though, don't overestimate his contributions to a lower mediocre football team.

& that has gotten the team what? Ahhhh yes...bupkis.

We've gone 6-10 since Mario? I guess he's been overrated. Kiko? DROY runner-up but we went 6-10. Overrated. I guess if we don't have a good record, our players are overrated. Reggie Wayne went 2-14 with Curtis Painter. So overrated that year.

You know how we can quantify Fred Jackson? CJ Spiller had the best year of his career and we still went 6-10. Do you think 2012 would've ended like that if Fred didn't miss 7 games?

In the NBA, they have an EWA stat, Estimated Wins Added. How many wins a year would Fred Jackson add in your opinion?

Edited by FireChan

We've gone 6-10 since Mario? I guess he's been overrated. Kiko? DROY runner-up but we went 6-10. Overrated. I guess if we don't have a good record, our players are overrated. Reggie Wayne went 2-14 with Curtis Painter. So overrated that year.

You know how we can quantify Fred Jackson? CJ Spiller had the best year of his career and we still went 6-10. Do you think 2012 would've ended like that if Fred didn't miss 7 games?

In the NBA, they have an EWA stat, Estimated Wins Added. How many wins a year would Fred Jackson add in your opinion?

On a mediocre team it is hard to pick out superstars. Mario is the one player who may fit that bill (no pun intended).

Only one stat matters and it's W/L. You're backing Jackson to the extreme which isn't surprising because that's what you do.

It's funny how things go sometimes. In 2012, the Bills W/L was 2-8 in the 10 games FJ played......and 4-2 in the 6 he didn't.

I expect great things from Gilmore this season. I believe that he had a good rookie campaign followed by a sophomore season when he shouldn't have been on the field with "The Club." I can't imagine trying to play CB with that thing, can you?

Balance had to be affected. Coverage had to be affected. Confidence had to be affected.

IMO he finished the year strong.

He's a CB. You'll likely be able to post something negative in your things you think you think thread every weekend (but, that doesn't make him a bad CB or an ineffective one). That's the nature of the position.

While I certainly hope that you are right, do remember that excuse making is par for the course of a Bills Fan. If Gilmore, the 10th selection of an NFL Draft, is a good football player in year 3, who's better than us?

If not, perhaps the excuses will wear thin. Ya think, or should we give him 5 years or so?

Edited by Bill from NYC

On a mediocre team it is hard to pick out superstars. Mario is the one player who may fit that bill (no pun intended).

Only one stat matters and it's W/L. You're backing Jackson to the extreme which isn't surprising because that's what you do.

That cuts deep.

You still haven't given me your EWA.