Yardbarker: Aaron Williams 6th-best Safety in NFL

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If true, the Bills had some great foresight in sighing this kid for the next few years.

I have been screaming it all offseason (after previously hating on the guy). I think that AW is about to be one of the best couple of safeties in the league. He does EVERYTHING well. I actually like him more than Byrd for the rest of their careers (I still have JB ahead of him). I figured that I would take a shot at my top 10 safeties (3 Texas guys):

1. Earl Thomas

2. Eric Berry

3. Antrelle Rolle

4. Jairus Byrd

5. Aaron Williams

6. Eric Weddle

7. Kam Chancellor

8. Eric Reid

9. TJ Ward

10. Kenny Vaccarro

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Interesting. I recently though of Williams after reading a post asking which current Bill was this team's Darryl Talley. I think that Talley was a notable Bill in that he clearly was a vocal spark plug for the team and not only set an example with some good plays but vocally exhorted and demanded his teammates to perform.

I do not think that Williams has been a vocal leader yet, because quite frankly he is an emerging rather than proven star. Talley showed notable talent in that he was a good enough player to command respect, but also was still a cut below the Big Three (Reed, Smith, Thomas) and some of the other HoF level players (Kelly, Tasker).

I think Williams has reached a point with his level of play that he is good but not great, but his should give him the proven chops to also be more vocal in inspiring and demanding more from his teammates. Articles such as this one where outside parties are willing to acknowledge Williams as well into the upper third of players at his position can set the table for Williams like Talley to be of more value to the team than his very good but not great talents.

No one mistakes him for a Pro Bowl quality player (yet) but he can bring a lot to the table for the Bills.

Interesting. I recently though of Williams after reading a post asking which current Bill was this team's Darryl Talley. I think that Talley was a notable Bill in that he clearly was a vocal spark plug for the team and not only set an example with some good plays but vocally exhorted and demanded his teammates to perform.

I do not think that Williams has been a vocal leader yet, because quite frankly he is an emerging rather than proven star. Talley showed notable talent in that he was a good enough player to command respect, but also was still a cut below the Big Three (Reed, Smith, Thomas) and some of the other HoF level players (Kelly, Tasker).

I think Williams has reached a point with his level of play that he is good but not great, but his should give him the proven chops to also be more vocal in inspiring and demanding more from his teammates. Articles such as this one where outside parties are willing to acknowledge Williams as well into the upper third of players at his position can set the table for Williams like Talley to be of more value to the team than his very good but not great talents.

No one mistakes him for a Pro Bowl quality player (yet) but he can bring a lot to the table for the Bills.

I think that you are right in thinking that AW can be the vocal leader. He made all of the calls in the secondary last year and has kind of been "groomed" by Fred Jackson. He would be the perfect pick for that.

I actually think that he has a little more talent than you. He is a smart, instinctive player that supports the run, hits, has a nose for the football and has been timed as low as 4.40. In addition, he can play man in the slot or on a TE if necessary. It took a little while for the light to go off but he is well on his way. I can honestly say, that AW may be the Bills player that I was most wrong about ever. I was ready to throw the dirt on the grave. I am glad that I am not calling the shots.

He is getting there as has been pointed out in OTAs. His mentor is Fred - so that's all I need to know.

I think that you are right in thinking that AW can be the vocal leader. He made all of the calls in the secondary last year and has kind of been "groomed" by Fred Jackson. He would be the perfect pick for that.

I actually think that he has a little more talent than you. He is a smart, instinctive player that supports the run, hits, has a nose for the football and has been timed as low as 4.40. In addition, he can play man in the slot or on a TE if necessary. It took a little while for the light to go off but he is well on his way. I can honestly say, that AW may be the Bills player that I was most wrong about ever. I was ready to throw the dirt on the grave. I am glad that I am not calling the shots.

Your point is well taken in that I agree with you that AW deserves the right to prove himself as a top performer and player you never worried about as a starter even when facing top talents. That's what I thought Talley was and I believe AW is.

However, the reluctance you correctly hear in my embrace of AW is actually my hope he will exceed Talley's accomplishments and become a player who is not only a solid Bill I have no fear of starting but actually becomes a player the other team fears and decides they must gameplan for.

AW is not at that level yet but that is a pretty high level of achievement (and a tough one for any safety to reach (Ronnie Lott was a huge hitter who achieved that level of fear, Troy Polamalu also showed a sideline to sideline ability to be this type of feared player, Jarius Byrd is headed that way because he has proved himself to be a player not only with great hands but a good football brain to keep putting himself in position to be opportunistic.

AW is very good but has something to still to prove to us.

Your point is well taken in that I agree with you that AW deserves the right to prove himself as a top performer and player you never worried about as a starter even when facing top talents. That's what I thought Talley was and I believe AW is.

However, the reluctance you correctly hear in my embrace of AW is actually my hope he will exceed Talley's accomplishments and become a player who is not only a solid Bill I have no fear of starting but actually becomes a player the other team fears and decides they must gameplan for.

AW is not at that level yet but that is a pretty high level of achievement (and a tough one for any safety to reach (Ronnie Lott was a huge hitter who achieved that level of fear, Troy Polamalu also showed a sideline to sideline ability to be this type of feared player, Jarius Byrd is headed that way because he has proved himself to be a player not only with great hands but a good football brain to keep putting himself in position to be opportunistic.

AW is very good but has something to still to prove to us.

He is certainly not there yet but can be. What I like most about him is that his game does not have holes. Mario Williams, Kiko Alonso (and maybe Cordy Glenn) are the only players that I can say that about at this point. That is a far cry from me wanting him gone. I hope that he keeps developing and really believe that he will. By next year he will be widely viewed as one of the best few S in the league IMO.

I am really hoping that Duke Williams can step up this year and become a starter.

I think a tandem of AW & DW as our Safeties has more promise than AW & Searcy.

And if that is the case, the latter, then what Searcy will offer as a package player will make our DB unit as solid as any of the others in the league. I believe Searcy is more then capable of covering the middle and breaking backs. He should be able to hold down that middle quite well.

But, I am an idiot, so what do I know?

Wait Wut? He sucks and we are DOOOOMED without Byrd and Whaley is a moronic dumb ass for putting his faith in Williams and not vastly trying to overpay Byrd a player that clearly didn't want to be here....

If you think the loss of a playmaker like Byrd won't be felt, I've got a bridge to sell you... I agree his welcome here had likely come to an end. However, not tagging him again and getting zero in return for him walking doesn't seem like the best move. Maybe for the locker room it was? I guess that's why I'm not a GM. Overall I like what Whaley has brought to the table and I've given him the benefit of the doubt on the Byrd thing.

And if that is the case, the latter, then what Searcy will offer as a package player will make our DB unit as solid as any of the others in the league. I believe Searcy is more then capable of covering the middle and breaking backs. He should be able to hold down that middle quite well.

But, I am an idiot, so what do I know?

Searcy just seems like more of a back-up player than a starter.