ESPN.com interview with Whaley

The whole notion that Whaley is more aggressive to win now that there is new owner coming is drivel invented by the media and repeated ad nauseam. Whaley would still make that Watkins trade if Ralph were alive.

Yes, the above makes perfect sense. Trading away a #1 pick to draft a wide receiver in a draft which was chock full of wide receivers (and could easily be a top 5 pick) was NOT a desperation move. In fact, Whaley and Marrone never even discussed losing their jobs to a new owner.

If anything goes wrong, the fans will be to blame, right?

Modern NFL already hastened Bills' pace

http://espn.go.com/b...ened-bills-pace

"Whaley says one culprit is the 2012 draft, which produced three immediate-impact starters at quarterback: Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson.

"Those guys have success their first year, then everybody's like, 'Why can't this guy do it?' And then you're considered a failure if you don't," Whaley said. "But maybe you're not a failure. You just weren't ready yet."

And in Whaley's wisdom he had to take Graham over Wilson who was still available in the 3rd.

"Whaley says one culprit is the 2012 draft, which produced three immediate-impact starters at quarterback: Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson.

"Those guys have success their first year, then everybody's like, 'Why can't this guy do it?' And then you're considered a failure if you don't," Whaley said. "But maybe you're not a failure. You just weren't ready yet."

And in Whaley's wisdom he had to take Graham over Wilson who was still available in the 3rd.

Whaley didn't take Graham over Wilson. That was Nix.

As much as they say Whaley is in full control of football operations, I am pretty sure that is only 95% true. Russ obviously has input into football side, and Russ even said in Ralph's final days Ralph was talking about safties in the draft he liked, which suggests Ralph still gave input, even if it wasn't a deciding factor. If ralph were still alive, it wouldn't have surprised me if we wanted to be more conservative in not giving away a future first rounder, and Whaley and Russ taking his advice.

I don't think that this move was very much a desperate attempt to "win now" because of an ownership change is looming. The fact they traded away stevie, the most accomplished receiver on the roster for future draft pick, suggest they are not mortaging the future like some claim. They are doing what is best for the football team.

I don't think Ralph had much say in football operations leading up to his death, but he obvoiusly still gave his input. it wouldn't surprise me for him to knock down the watkins trade, especially if he went by Polian's model which was mostly conservative.

Polian conservative? The Bennett trade was a huge gamble. Talk about mortgaging your future.

Whaley didn't take Graham over Wilson. That was Nix.

Yeah but he was in the draft room. If he was any kind of GM he would have distracted Buddy and switched cards on him to say Wilson instead of Graham.

Polian conservative? The Bennett trade was a huge gamble. Talk about mortgaging your future.

For the most part, yes, he was conservative. With an exception or two.

I still don't think this trade gets done with Wilson alive.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

The whole notion that Whaley is more aggressive to win now that there is new owner coming is drivel invented by the media and repeated ad nauseam. Whaley would still make that Watkins trade if Ralph were alive.

Agreed. This was fabricated by the media which has nothing to write about in the NFL in June. Every GM and Coach knows they have 3 years at the most with just about any owner except for maybe the Rooneys and Maras. They are wise enough to know to be patient with a staff as the revolving door of a coaching staff is a recipe for failure.

Even if we don't make the playoffs, I see enough with Marrone and Whaley, I hope they get more than two more years. If everyone read the stories about Chuck Knoll ( the only head cache with 4 SB), he did not have a solid season until 4-5 years.

We need a winning season this year, and my guess is next year we get back to the playoffs.

Well what else has Whaley done that you consider aggressive?

Good point Promo! The truth is however that with Mr. Wilson in poor health and the inept Brandon in charge, Whaley, and especially the Syracuse crony mob had little to worry about in terms of keeping their jobs. A new owner will almost certainly demand more results. So, they traded away the future to get a wide receiver in a draft that was absolutely stacked with good ones. They went "all in."

To you, I am sure this is a mere coincidence.

Can you find a way to blame this state of events on Bills Fans? I bet you can!

I don't know about that, from what I've read over the years, Ralph tended to be more the gun slinger come draft time.

If ralph were still alive, it wouldn't have surprised me if we wanted to be more conservative in not giving away a future first rounder, and Whaley and Russ taking his advice.