computer possibly hacked(chrome)- what do I do?

Pete

Everytime I launch chrome, a second tab opens, and does constant internet searches, and I cannot close it out. I sent email to google. I went to chrome settings and set page settings. I have run avast, spybot, microsoft security essentials, adwcleaner, ccleaner- and nothing is detected. How do I proceed?

delete sys32

crap. edit.... I can't just say that and not at least offer a few basic things which I hope you've already done. Delete your cookies and history and temp files, and basically all of your browsing cache. That usually clears up everything. Occasionally also deleting your browser and reinstalling it helps, too.

Edited by jboyst62

Everytime I launch chrome, a second tab opens, and does constant internet searches, and I cannot close it out. I sent email to google. I went to chrome settings and set page settings. I have run avast, spybot, microsoft security essentials, adwcleaner, ccleaner- and nothing is detected. How do I proceed?

I had the same problem yesterday. It turns out Windows Version 8.1 wanted to automatically update in the background. I discovered it as I was closing out windows. So I went ahead and let it update and install and it is resolved. No more weird tabs opening.

I had the same problem yesterday. It turns out Windows Version 8.1 wanted to automatically update in the background. I discovered it as I was closing out windows. So I went ahead and let it update and install and it is resolved. No more weird tabs opening.

I need to use plain English here. Windows 8.1 Blows!!!

Unplug, man. Simplify.

Download and run combofix, this will fix you right up. Had the same problem, ghost programs running in the back ground, The IT guy at work told me about this. When you run it, the program asks you to shut off your virus scan, don't bother. It works fine without doing this.

Reformat your hard drive. Not only will any viruses/malware be gone but your computer will run like the day you bought it. Any data you need can be saved in dropbox or burned to a DVD/Blu-Ray.

Buy a Mac

The problem with that is that 90% of programs are made for Windows. You need to run WINE or a similar program to be able to use many applications, and at that point you know enough about computers that you wouldn't spend your own money on a Mac anyway.

This is also the reason you won't get a virus for a Mac... because no one uses them.