Secretariat

With California Chrome attempting to become the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978, I figured some folks might enjoy a tribute to Secretariat, the greatest racing horse in documented history.

If you simply want to be amazed, skip ahead to the video...otherwise, a few facts to whet your palate:

- Secretariat's heart was 2-1/2 times the size of a typical horse's heart, which trainers believe was the single biggest contributing factor to his dominance

- Many trainers and owners chose to keep their horses from running in the 1973 Belmont Stakes against Secretariat, as they were worried their horses would injured (or even kill) themselves attempting to keep up with him

- Sham, the horse that finished 2nd to Secretariat, nearly suffered internal bleeding trying to keep pace with him

- Were it not for Secretariat, Sham not only would've won the Triple Crown in 1973, but would've had the fastest combined Triple Crown race time in history up to that point

And now, for your viewing pleasure and sheer amazement (because everyone ought to see this race at least once in their lives), I present to you the single greatest feat in horse racing history; the 1973 Belmont Stakes:

Unbelievable.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff. But Sham finished 5th in that race, so how would he have won Triple Crown if not for Secretariat?

Jockey pulled him back halfway through because he was over-exerted...had he been able to pace himself he'd have blown that field away.

Gotcha. He was a great horse too, never heard of him before. Wiki said his heart was 2x normal size.

Sham was incredible...that cannot be over-stated. It's possible he suffered from the worst timing in the history of sports racing against Secretariat. He really did keep up with him for 2-1/2 races...

I hit my boxed trifectas at Churchill Downs and Pimlico. There was really good value at Churchill but Pimlico didn't pay much at all. California Chrome is going to cripple any payouts at Belmont if he wins. I think this will be a good race to try some underdogs in my exacta and tri when I go to the OTB tomorrow.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I remember watching that live.

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone but I have to admit that I find it amazing that your memory has held out that long. Most of your contemporaries are probably eating from an IV drip at this point and think they remember Man O' War.

This was the single biggest anomaly of which I am aware to ever occur in sports. It is not just the distance by which he won, but the time in which he ran it. At that time, I believe it was more than 2 sends faster than any other mile and a half race in the history of racing. This means that the second best race ever run at that distance would have produced a horse 13 lengths or so behind Secretariat. 41 years later it is still more than a full second faster than the second best time ever. It would be like someone hitting a 700 foot home run or kicking a 94 yard field goal. Or maybe a better example is if Roger Bannister ran a 3:40.

California Chrome is good. His story has some similarities to other great horses. He is no Secretariat, but that is not really a knock on him. He has caught a few breaks this year because some other very good horses fell off the trail before the Derby. There are a few threats tomorrow. Personally I think Tonalist, Wicked Strong and Medal Count and major long shot Matuszak are possible upsetters. In the long run I think Tonalist and Medal Count will prove to be very good. Tonalist is still inexperienced and Medal Count may end up better on grass than dirt.

I'd sort of like to see him do it but would love to see another Secretariat come along some day, or at least another Affirmed. There are some very good horses over the past 15 years or so that have whiffed in the Belmont after winning the first two. It is a grueling task. Alysheba, Smarty Jones and Silver Charm come to mind. Going back further even Spectacular Bid succumbed. CC is no Spectacular Bid. I also think there were two real Triple Crown horses since Affirmed but they had to run against each other and that stopped them both. Easy Goer and Sunday Silence.

This was the single biggest anomaly of which I am aware to ever occur in sports. It is not just the distance by which he won, but the time in which he ran it. At that time, I believe it was more than 2 sends faster than any other mile and a half race in the history of racing. This means that the second best race ever run at that distance would have produced a horse 13 lengths or so behind Secretariat. 41 years later it is still more than a full second faster than the second best time ever. It would be like someone hitting a 700 foot home run or kicking a 94 yard field goal. Or maybe a better example is if Roger Bannister ran a 3:40.

California Chrome is good. His story has some similarities to other great horses. He is no Secretariat, but that is not really a knock on him. He has caught a few breaks this year because some other very good horses fell off the trail before the Derby. There are a few threats tomorrow. Personally I think Tonalist, Wicked Strong and Medal Count and major long shot Matuszak are possible upsetters. In the long run I think Tonalist and Medal Count will prove to be very good. Tonalist is still inexperienced and Medal Count may end up better on grass than dirt.

I'd sort of like to see him do it but would love to see another Secretariat come along some day, or at least another Affirmed. There are some very good horses over the past 15 years or so that have whiffed in the Belmont after winning the first two. It is a grueling task. Alysheba, Smarty Jones and Silver Charm come to mind. Going back further even Spectacular Bid succumbed. CC is no Spectacular Bid. I also think there were two real Triple Crown horses since Affirmed but they had to run against each other and that stopped them both. Easy Goer and Sunday Silence.

Great post...I would've also mentioned Alysheba, Easy Goer and Sunday Silence (the Pat Day vs. Pat Valenzuela races back then were fantastic to watch).

I still think Big Brown would've won if he hadn't thrown a shoe in the Belmont, but who knows?

Great post...I would've also mentioned Alysheba, Easy Goer and Sunday Silence (the Pat Day vs. Pat Valenzuela races back then were fantastic to watch).

I still think Big Brown would've won if he hadn't thrown a shoe in the Belmont, but who knows?

I was a big Easy Goer fan and somewhat of a Pat Day fan, but they did not go well together. Day got him beat in the Preakness (probably) and the BC Classic (absolutely). Spectacular Bid and Alysheba were both Great. I think Bid was better. My favorite horse ever was Java Gold who was a 3 year old late bloomer during Alysheba's year. I attended the Travers that year which had Polish Navy, Cryptoclearance, Gulch, Bet Twice, Alysheba and Java Gold (winner). Now that was a race and a great year for 3 year olds.

I was not a Big Brown fan at all and think of him as a symbol for what has gone wrong with racing over the past few decades. Although he had stamina on the dam side, there was none at all in his sire line until a few generations back and even those were better milers. Danzig was a sprint sire who produce Boundary who was a sprint sire who produced Big Brown. He was never meant to try a mile and a half. That Belmont field he faced was amazingly weak. This year's is far better and can challenge Chrome, but he has definitely been up for the challenges so far.

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone but I have to admit that I find it amazing that your memory has held out that long. Most of your contemporaries are probably eating from an IV drip at this point and think they remember Man O' War.

Dude I'm 51...

I was a big Easy Goer fan and somewhat of a Pat Day fan, but they did not go well together. Day got him beat in the Preakness (probably) and the BC Classic (absolutely). Spectacular Bid and Alysheba were both Great. I think Bid was better. My favorite horse ever was Java Gold who was a 3 year old late bloomer during Alysheba's year. I attended the Travers that year which had Polish Navy, Cryptoclearance, Gulch, Bet Twice, Alysheba and Java Gold (winner). Now that was a race and a great year for 3 year olds.

I was not a Big Brown fan at all and think of him as a symbol for what has gone wrong with racing over the past few decades. Although he had stamina on the dam side, there was none at all in his sire line until a few generations back and even those were better milers. Danzig was a sprint sire who produce Boundary who was a sprint sire who produced Big Brown. He was never meant to try a mile and a half. That Belmont field he faced was amazingly weak. This year's is far better and can challenge Chrome, but he has definitely been up for the challenges so far.

No love for Real Quiet from the both of you?

I wasn't a Brown fan either for the same reason.

Curious if you're following Jess's Dream at all? I think a lot of racing enthusiasts are intrigued by the lineage.

No love for Real Quiet from the both of you?

Great horse.

I wasn't a Brown fan either for the same reason.

Curious if you're following Jess's Dream at all? I think a lot of racing enthusiasts are intrigued by the lineage.

Great horse.

Agreed on Real Quiet. To me he was just a cut (or two) below Easy Goer/SS. Animal Kingdom is another one even though he won just one TC race. It was a true shame to lose him as an American stallion. He had very intriguing lines and could have offered a lot to the industry. I see his potential as being like a Kitten's Joy but for both dirt and turf horses.

As for Jess's dream I am not following yet. I loved Curlin and Rachel but any foal is a hit and miss proposition. Also I entered the naming contest for the horse and they go and name it Jess's Dream. I get why, but then why have a contest? I can't share the name of my entry because I am saving it for when I own a horse (two days after I hit the lottery). On name alone the horse would be destined for greatness.

I will say this agian. For anyone betting tomorrow, go to Sabre space Derby 2014 thread and look for Ghost of Dwight Drane breakdowns and betting strategies for the card tomorrow.

Man has a truly special talent for picking winners with a price on the turf.

why?

There is zero chance I bet California Chrome in the Derby. He's a California bred who looks on paper more fit for a mile on turf, has only run on synthetics and Santa Anita, which is not a classic dirt track, and jumped up 10-12 lengths his past 2 races......he looked great yesterday, but my guess is he finishes closer to 10th than 1st in the Derby. Don't let me dissuade anyone, but I will not be betting him.

I will say this agian. For anyone betting tomorrow, go to Sabre space Derby 2014 thread and look for Ghost of Dwight Drane breakdowns and betting strategies for the card tomorrow.

Man has a truly special talent for picking winners with a price on the turf.