The John Murphy Show

Stads

I've listened to The John Murphy Show a few times since its inception. Each time I've tuned in, I get a little annoyed everytime he conducts an interview. He always asks questions that automatically elicits the guest to agree with him. He had MIke Catalana, the sports director for 13WHAM in Rochester on the other day. One of his questions was, "I'd think the people of Rochester would be pretty happy with a new stadium in Batavia, wouldn't you say?" These kind of softball questions seem to be a part of every interview I catch. A few weeks ago, he asked one of the players (I forgot who) that if they have an improved run defense this year, will it help the defense? I think it might be helpful John. I'm surprised he doesn't ask somebody, "I gotta think that footballs have laces on them. Does that seem right?"

I can tell that John is a very nice man and cares a lot about the Bills, but I wish he would ask a few more thought provoking questions.

I've listened to The John Murphy Show a few times since its inception. Each time I've tuned in, I get a little annoyed everytime he conducts an interview. He always asks questions that automatically elicits the guest to agree with him. He had MIke Catalana, the sports director for 13WHAM in Rochester on the other day. One of his questions was, "I'd think the people of Rochester would be pretty happy with a new stadium in Batavia, wouldn't you say?" These kind of softball questions seem to be a part of every interview I catch. A few weeks ago, he asked one of the players (I forgot who) that if they have an improved run defense this year, will it help the defense? I think it might be helpful John. I'm surprised he doesn't ask somebody, "I gotta think that footballs have laces on them. Does that seem right?"

I can tell that John is a very nice man and cares a lot about the Bills, but I wish he would ask a few more thought provoking questions.

he needs to learn about suggestive questioning. I had to learn how to develop tests and surveys and this is one thing that really elicits poor results and is bad practice. Chris Brown does it too, and his is so suggestive that it takes him so long to ask the question I could have read a novel by the time he is done.

he needs to learn about suggestive questioning. I had to learn how to develop tests and surveys and this is one thing that really elicits poor results and is bad practice. Chris Brown does it too, and his is so suggestive that it takes him so long to ask the question I could have read a novel by the time he is done.

Everyone in this thread knows that they're employees of OBD, right? That provoking thought and getting substantive answers is not their aim?

Everyone in this thread knows that they're employees of OBD, right? That provoking thought and getting substantive answers is not their aim?

understood but they can ask the question in a way that does not lead the interviewee in the direction of their own desired answer. instead of asking "fans would love a stadium in Batavia, wouldn't you think?" simply ask "how do you think a stadium in Batavia would be received by fans?"

Edited by FluffHead

understood but they can ask the question in a way that does not lead the interviewee in the direction of their own desired answer. instead of asking "fans would love a stadium in Batavia, wouldn't you think?" simply ask "how do you think a stadium in Batavia would be received by fans?"

I'm not disagreeing that their questions are ****. Their are questions ARE ****.

Chris Brown has particularly annoyed me on this front for years now. His "questions" are little more than long-winded affirmations.

I like The John Murphy Show, in theory. I am glad it is on. I listen to it, or at least some of it, pretty much every day, on the archive section of Buffalo Bills.com. I am glad it is on. I must say, I really only started listening relgiously in the off-season. Only time I heard him during the season, was the Monday morning shows. Obviously ( :rolleyes: ) there is a bit more to talk about then, so some of the weaknesses didn't show through as much.

I think John Murphy is probably a really good guy. He has been covering the Bills, in some form or another since the Chuck Knox era. That said, I think he knows a lot about the Buffalo Bills, but I don't think of him as being super-knowledgable about the game of football. He is very general about everything... I realize he is a Bills employee, but he doesn't really have much give and take with his callers either. They call, state their opinion and he just says "ok" and goes on to the next caller. In general, the quality of his callers is pretty good..probably a lot of the same people night to night. Seems like there could be a little more banter between the host and the callers.

At the start of the show, he will pretty much state his opinion on the topic of the day, if somebody says something that is contrary to what he thinks, he just says, "no, I disagree" and then it just kind of ends there...it is weird. I just don't understand the concept of taking callers if you really don't have any interest in hearing what they have to say. He isn't rude or disrespectful to the calllers, like Schoop... but the converstations are just all very surfacy.

Now, just as it is here for the last 5 months or so, inevitably, he will get callers that question whether EJ is any good or not...he just won't pursue that line of thinking with the pereson, I am guessing, becuase there is a chance the caller might say something too negative.

Of course, I think Murphy is just "alright" on the play by play too...not bad, mind you, but just kind of generic...competent, but not overly exciting.

Just like the daily Sabres show, I kind of feel for Murphy, and Sylvester a bit... I am wondering if there is really a need for so much coverage during the off-season... but I still listen. I like the fact that he talks to some degree, about the other teams in the league. I also think he has some pretty cool guests at times...Lee Steinberg interview was great..Ken Crippen always great to hear...would love to hear him interview more older player from time to time....not just the Kelly-Super Bowl era guys, or the HOFer...but how about guys like Steve Freeman, or Jerry Butler...I have to think, with all that talk time he has, there has to be room for some of that stuff. Reminice a little more about the old days... I am sure some of these guys would love to talk.

Edited by Buftex

I'm sure this thread is dead, but I thought it might be fun to play a game. In honor of John Murphy, pick any subject and come up with the easiest question when interviewing someone about said topic. For example if it was fracking, you might ask, "That involves drilling, am I right?"

Given that many of Murph's interview subjects are players or members of the media, he has to go lightly on the "thought provoking" (i.e., talk slowly, use monosyllabic words and ask more than a few softball questions).

Not all of these guys are as eloquent, accomplished speakers as Leodis or Kiko....

I love the JMS. Being that I live in louisiana it's really the only bills related tv or radio show I can listen to. If there was no JMS people would be bitching that the bills don't even have a radio show.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I would be lost without the JMS to listen too while I'm slinging 80lb boxes of fireworks around the warehouse all day. Hopefully he keeps up the good work!! And can improve a little on the way he asks questions. No one is perfect and this is only his 2nd or 3rd year I think on the air.

No one is perfect and this is only his 2nd or 3rd year I think on the air.

While his current WGR show is in its second year, Murph hosted a nightly radio show ("One on One Sports") on WBEN from 1984 to 1995. It was the golden age of Bills talk, both in terms of on-the-field success and talk show quality...

Isnt it interesting how John Murphy can get ANY bills player, coach, or GM for the bills on the show and ask these boring questions......

but

Guys like Shopp and Bulldog basically asked enough wrong questions that Stevie Johnson stopped coming on their show....or for that matter have a total lack of players on their show

hmmmmmmm

personally I think the OP knows the answer to his own question

I said that I find it a little annoying. Even though I have a problem with his questions, I still enjoy listening from time to time. I just think it would make the show better if he didn't predetermine the responses of his guests.

Isnt it interesting how John Murphy can get ANY bills player, coach, or GM for the bills on the show and ask these boring questions......

but

Guys like Shopp and Bulldog basically asked enough wrong questions that Stevie Johnson stopped coming on their show....or for that matter have a total lack of players on their show

hmmmmmmm

personally I think the OP knows the answer to his own question

To be fair, murph gets those guests because he is employed by the team. Schopp and BD are not employed by the Bills.

Personally I find schopp/bd and simon/white better interviews than murph when it comes to the bills because they can and will prod.

I do listen to murph and appreciate his show for what it is. There are good stories/info and it can be entertaining. But he never hits on any hot topics (understandably) due to who it is that he works for

Random thought here, but does anyone else use tapatalk on iphone? I have not been able to edit posts the last week or so and it is annoying posting from mobile due to autocorrect etc.

While his current WGR show is in its second year, Murph hosted a nightly radio show ("One on One Sports") on WBEN from 1984 to 1995. It was the golden age of Bills talk, both in terms of on-the-field success and talk show quality...

Monday Evening Quarterback with Murph and Felser on Monday night's during the glory years was the best.

Murph was always against the Bennett trade. It's hard to even fathom that now.

Thanks for filling me in on that. I was born in 85. So he's really been doing his since I was knee high. To a grasshopper lol

Monday Evening Quarterback with Murph and Felser on Monday night's during the glory years was the best.

Murph was always against the Bennett trade. It's hard to even fathom that now.

Even before that, didn't Murphy host a Smerlas and Haslett show on WBEN, during the "Talking Proud" era, around 1980-1983?

LOL at how he asks questions, I noticed that as well. I think you know what you are going to get with Murph's show since he is employed by the Bills, But I really like listening to his show to get my Bills fix and I love the player interviews even if they are always spun to the positive, I especially like that you can always get it on a podcast, I listen to it when I go running.