Sometimes the bear gets you

Beerball

Why would you want to kill a bear? Bears are pretty cool and if you leave them alone, they leave you alone.

Some people have been dragged out of their tents. Recent study claims otherwise what you are stating:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jwmg.72/abstract

What do you do with a predatory black bear that is looking at you as his food source?

http://www.alaskadis...t-human-attacks

"...Of fatal attacks, 86% (54 of 63, 1.08/yr) occurred between 1960 and 2009..."

Hmmmm... They point out growing population and encroaching on their habitat, but what other changes have been happening the last 50+ years?

Global warming made the bears all sweaty and got them in a bad mood?

No. Not in the least. Yet, lack of food caused by unintended consequences of conservation efforts does.

I'm on the Bears' side

I too in this case may side with the bear. But what about other incidents?

Why would you want to kill a bear? Bears are pretty cool and if you leave them alone, they leave you alone.

I'm curious about this as well. Why hunt a bear? Are they a good food source? Has anyone here ever had bear meat?

Or is the purpose in hunting bear all for sport?

I'm curious about this as well. Why hunt a bear? Are they a good food source? Has anyone here ever had bear meat?

Or is the purpose in hunting bear all for sport?

They aren't going to naturally cull themselves. Just like deer. There are more white tail deer now than they were in 1900. Something has to keep the numbers down. Now... With all the "green" practices, unintended consequences is to push animals like bears CLOSER to people and towns. People and towns that they never bothered to even venture near. I threw out the number about bear attacks in the last 100 years. 86% of them happened in the last 50 years. And isn't just habitat loss that can be blamed... Again, they are wandering into towns that never had a problem in over a century of the town's existence... Why now? What's being done differently? What do you think happens when you take away a food source? Like close down open landfills and have closed transfer stations. Yes, that is a problem... And culling the populations do help. Yet, people want to question culling? What's left if we can't keep them in check. Again, we are already pushing them towards human development more than we are encroaching on their habitat.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois