Stefan Charles

I hope we don't need him to start, but he may be looking at getting an opportunity with the Dareus issues...

Schwartz's system is probably a good fit for him.

Mike Sullivan@TheKickIsGood 8m

96 days until the 2014 Bills Season. Will this be #96 Stefan Charles’s Best Season Ever? Yes, here's why: http://www.thekickisgood.com/?p=8299 #billsmafia

Edited by YoloinOhio

It's funny that you bring up Schwartz's system. I've been reading about his system and came across this 2008 NY Times article today http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/football/23titans.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Not sure if that article has been posted before but I see now why this is the guy that the FO went for. He's the Billy Beane of DCs apparently.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

It's funny that you bring up Schwartz's system. I've been reading about his system and came across this 2008 NY Times article today http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

Not sure if that article has been posted before but I see now why this is the guy that the FO went for. He's the Billy Beane of DCs apparently.

Very interesting read.

Dareus is unquestionably an idiot unfortunately. Even if he's lucky enough to avoid suspension, he might have screwed himself out of his 5th year option (which pays quite well). It's not guaranteed until next year. With Branch and Charles, the Bills aren't likely panicking, but it's obviously disappointing.

It's funny that you bring up Schwartz's system. I've been reading about his system and came across this 2008 NY Times article today http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

This was indeed a good read, and makes me think about Schwartz a little differently. One thing that caught my attention is that the article suggests he is good at making in game adjustments...Something that no one on the Bills coaching staff has been good at for quite some time, and this has been among my biggest qualms with the Bills coaches over the last 5+ years...especially on defense.

A quote from the movie Twins comes to mind:

"Tonight is your night, bro...tonight is your night, bro..."

With Marcell Dareus behaving like a petulant teenager, Charles is going to get the chance of a lifetime.

Yikes.

Hopefully there are some good players that are cap cuts later on because relying on Stefan Charles to replace Dareus is a disaster.

I see.

Dareus is unquestionably an idiot unfortunately. Even if he's lucky enough to avoid suspension, he might have screwed himself out of his 5th year option (which pays quite well). It's not guaranteed until next year. With Branch and Charles, the Bills aren't likely panicking, but it's obviously disappointing.

This was indeed a good read, and makes me think about Schwartz a little differently. One thing that caught my attention is that the article suggests he is good at making in game adjustments...Something that no one on the Bills coaching staff has been good at for quite some time, and this has been among my biggest qualms with the Bills coaches over the last 5+ years...especially on defense.

Pettine seemed to eventually make them, but sometimes it was too late.

Yikes.

Hopefully there are some good players that are cap cuts later on because relying on Stefan Charles to replace Dareus is a disaster.

First off, if anyone "replaces" Dareus, it's going to be Branch. Secondly, I get the feeling you haven't actually watched Charles. Everything he's shown so far in the NFL has been pretty good. The coaching staff has been very pleased with him going back to last year, so I'm not sure what you are basing that opinion off of?

I see.

Pettine seemed to eventually make them, but sometimes it was too late.

I was more referring to Edwards/Wannstedt, but Pettine had some issues with that as well. Particularly in the run game. The Pats in particular would find easy holes in the run game against Pettine, and he seemed completely unable to stop those same plays later in games.

First off, if anyone "replaces" Dareus, it's going to be Branch. Secondly, I get the feeling you haven't actually watched Charles. Everything he's shown so far in the NFL has been pretty good. The coaching staff has been very pleased with him going back to last year, so I'm not sure what you are basing that opinion off of?

I was more referring to Edwards/Wannstedt, but Pettine had some issues with that as well. Particularly in the run game. The Pats in particular would find easy holes in the run game against Pettine, and he seemed completely unable to stop those same plays later in games.

Yep - I was thinking about 2 games in particular, Cincy and Tampa. Cincy attacked a one-armed Gilmore repeatedly on screens to AJ Green because they knew he could cover but not tackle, and we adjusted way too late. Against Tampa the D basically completely shut them down in the 2nd half, but again,the damage was done. With most inexperienced QBs you can't put them in a hole like that and expect to recover. Edited by YoloinOhio

It's funny that you bring up Schwartz's system. I've been reading about his system and came across this 2008 NY Times article today http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/football/23titans.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Neat article.

Yikes.

Scott wouldn't know Stefan Charles from Stefon of SNL.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You know, sometimes, when somebody gets a chance, and does well, somebody else can't get back on the field. This could be the beginning of the end for MD and the beginning of something big for Charles. We will see.