Republicans Are Crying....Again

Desertion doesn't mean anything

It means a hell of a lot. If he is a deserter he deserves to be punished under the UCMJ.

There was an American being held hostage and we needed to try and get him released

great we got an American released. a military deserter is not worth 5 high ranking Taliban.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Desertion doesn't mean anything. There was an American being held hostage and we needed to try and get him released

Held hostage? He was a POW.

Or are the Gitmo detainees hostages as well?

The semantic tar pit at work here would be hilarious if it weren't a serious legal issue.

Desertion doesn't mean anything. There was an American being held hostage and we needed to try and get him released

desertion is always significant. you can't just opt for a career change and ignore your obligation to the country. if this person is a deserter, then once freed from captivity he ought to be immediately incarcerated and face a court martial.

So the possible future deaths caused by 5 Taliban guys are worth 1 traitor? You do realize that this guy's own comrade wanted him shot on site for getting their men killed looking for him.

What is the punishment for desertion? Is it the same or similar to treason? Should we give up some more Taliban to get Snowden back?

So the possible future deaths caused by 5 Taliban guys are worth 1 traitor? You do realize that this guy's own comrade wanted him shot on site for getting their men killed looking for him.

What is the punishment for desertion? Is it the same or similar to treason? Should we give up some more Taliban to get Snowden back?

Deserter is not a traitor.

desertion is always significant. you can't just opt for a career change and ignore your obligation to the country. if this person is a deserter, then once freed from captivity he ought to be immediately incarcerated and face a court martial.

Less significant to getting him back. He absolutely should face a court martial, but I'm reasonably sure the logic at work was that regardless of his status, ultimately we traded five detainees for an American regardless of his status.

Now, about that American exceptionalism...

Desertion in the face of the enemy is usually considered treason. But even that's pretty damn questionable in this case...

Not if the theory is true that attacks on US positions increased and were better targeted after his disappearance.

How cool would this be?

What is if they they stuck electroinc chips in the 5 Taliban... Now they are tracking them all over the place.

I've thought this too. Knock 'em out, make a tiny incision and pop it in. Gotta be a way to do that without the guy noticing.

Of course, the NY Times and the conner wanna-bes here would go apoplectic if something like that was ever made public.

And a POW is not a hostage.

Take it up with Washington Post (and countless other media sources):

"Taliban fighters released the sole remaining American military hostage Saturday...."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/taliban-held-us-soldier-released-in-exchange-for-afghan-detainees/2014/05/31/8b764dac-e8db-11e3-a86b-362fd5443d19_story.html

"Taliban fighters released the sole remaining American military hostage Saturday...."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/taliban-held-us-soldier-released-in-exchange-for-afghan-detainees/2014/05/31/8b764dac-e8db-11e3-a86b-362fd5443d19_story.html

They (and you) are both wrong.

Not if the theory is true that attacks on US positions increased and were better targeted after his disappearance.

Or the speculation that he inadvertently caused troops' deaths when they went out looking for him.

I've thought this too. Knock 'em out, make a tiny incision and pop it in. Gotta be a way to do that without the guy noticing.

Of course, the NY Times and the conner wanna-bes here would go apoplectic if something like that was ever made public.

Even better if the explosive type is inserted.

http://www.washingto...3d19_story.html

For every news article you find that says "hostage," I can find one that says "POW".

But Obama explicitly called him a "prisoner of war." That carries legal weight, unlike the Post.

The theory would have to be that attacks on US positions increased and were better targeted because he materially aided the Taliban.

And I have yet to hear anything other than empty speculation that he could have if he wanted.

The theory would have to be that attacks on US positions increased and were better targeted because he materially aided the Taliban.

And I have yet to hear anything other than empty speculation that he could have if he wanted.

Yes, that is the theory based on speculation of what people have been saying outside the signed NDAs.

That's why it's a theory Dexter, and if true, very solid grounds for treason.

I'll try to find them again today, but last night I was reading emails/posts from fellow soldiers who were off the record because they feared the WH...and it was pretty bad.

EDIT:

Here's the Daily Mail article from four years ago where the Taliban claimed Bergdahl had converted.

A captured American soldier is training Taliban fighters bomb-making and ambush skills, according to one of his captors and Afghan intelligence officials.

Private Bowe Bergdahl disappeared in June 2009 while based in eastern Afghanistan and is thought to be the only U.S. serviceman in captivity.

The 24-year-old has converted to Islam and now has the Muslim name Abdullah, one of his captors told The Sunday Times.

Edited by LABillzFan

My assumption was that a drone would follow the GPS at the desired point in time.

Like you said... There has to be a way? Then after a few well placed GPS attacks... But, not too soon, they would be treated like baby birds coming back to the nest after being handled by humans. They aren't a dumb enemy, they have to be skeptical.

Is there anything in the Geneva Conventions against this? Who cares anyway? Its the freaking Taliban...