And we think Bills fans are nuts!

I can see the NFL trying to do that. Make extra money selling tickets to the away team. As die hard as nfl fans are, I can't see any of us but a ticket to watch a game on a jumbo tron, even if the tickets are super cheap

It was done in Buffalo a few years till the NFL stepped in and said no more....

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2003/07/28/story4.html?page=all

That's a championship game though. Imagine if the Bills had a dome with a decent jumbotron and they were playing in the super bowl. I'm sure they could fill the stadium if they did something like this.

That's a championship game though. Imagine if the Bills had a dome with a decent jumbotron and they were playing in the super bowl. I'm sure they could fill the stadium if they did something like this.

Syracuse University did that back in 2003 for the basket ball Final Four. They sold tickets to be in the Carrier Dome watching on the big screen.

I can see the NFL trying to do that. Make extra money selling tickets to the away team. As die hard as nfl fans are, I can't see any of us but a ticket to watch a game on a jumbo tron, even if the tickets are super cheap

I don't know man. A good high quality HD jumbotron like they make now, and people getting to tailgate before away games as well as home games. It could work.

I don't know man. A good high quality HD jumbotron like they make now, and people getting to tailgate before away games as well as home games. It could work.

Exactly. Doesn't matter how awesome your man cave us, you can't replicate the stadium atmosphere.

Not surprised. NFL wants 70,000 tv tuned in. Not 70,000 fans watching 1 tv. Gotta keep those ratings up.

Not surprised, but, also not following the NFL's logic.

If 70k people watch a commercial in a stadium, vs. watching it individually at home, what is the significant difference? You can estimate that 85% of the "viewers" saw each commercial. Also, no channel flipping at the stadium. You literally have a captive audience. Bathroom/getting food/beer/etc.? Again, what is the difference? It takes longer? Does it? What else can I be distracted by at home vs. at the stadium? I'm at the stadium to do 1 thing, and only 1 thing. I'm not going to be going over the week's status reports again while I watch the game, at the stadium, like I do at home.

I have a feeling there are other things at work here besides ratings.

Meh. It sounded really loud but wasn't that crazy. Nothing even remotely as crazy as my section gets in the tunnel endzone when the Bills score a TD. Now I'll give you that the game was away and watching on a Jumbotron. Still nothing too crazy though. I'd compare it to the crowds outside HSBC during the pres trophy year the Sabres had. If the Bills were in the playoffs and away and the team allowed us to go there and tailgate and watch even for a $20 ticket and the cost of parking. If probably do it too.

And this is soccer. Nothing the NFL has, even comes close to the craziness of soccer worldwide. Not even close.

What struck me more was not the concept of this, but the intensity of the fans. But shouldn't be at all surprised as soccer is the one sport people seem to routinely kill over.

Regardless of the sport it is still just a game, but don't tell that to a soccer fan.

i agree that soccer is much more insane in general as far as fan appreciation. But this video is seriously nothing like a TD at a Bills game in a big situation. For example, the Pats comeback game... Not even close. The Monday night game against Dallas... Not even close. There's been many more even in recent years of us sucking. But off the top of my head, both of these games are more crazy. And they were just regular season games. Not some championship game.

What struck me more was not the concept of this, but the intensity of the fans. But shouldn't be at all surprised as soccer is the one sport people seem to routinely kill over.

Regardless of the sport it is still just a game, but don't tell that to a soccer fan.

Imagine if we only had baseball, and nothing else. All year, 1 sport.

Only 1 "real" playoffs, and 1 "real" championship game. How important would it be? Yeah, tell me again about Rugby. :lol: That's literally like lacrosse here in comparison to the NFL. Legit sport, but, hardly anyone cares. Basketball in Spain :: WWF here.

To me, this is less about fan commitment, and more about: lack of options.

And, we don't tend to make our sporting events into places to make political statements, in fact we abhor it(hence the separate boards here). Unless of course you're ESPN, a gay player has a chance of playing special teams, and you stand to make $ on this, especially if he gets cut. :lol: You're not going to see the Cowboys fans wearing Red t-shirts, or Jet fans wearing Blue t-shirts, and chanting hate/Communism/Fascism in the stands.

You will see all of that and much worse at a soccer game in Europe. It's not even sporadic. It has become routine. It's now about everything, and hardly about the team/play on the field anymore.

That's one, of many major advantages to being an American: we know when to turn it off, and just have fun. That's most likely because we actually turn it on more than 0-1 times per week, so we know the difference.

Sabres did it. Not just the Stanley Cup year, but I remember back in '99 when we were in the finals, the Bisons sold tickets to watch it on their jumbotron, which was nothing like the ones they have now, and had a decent turnout.

forgot about that. I gave up a free ticket to that game to go on a date with this wierdo chick. Never talked to her again. I was so pissed.