Potential veteran QBs available next year

I disagree with the first sentence. It's not unreasonable for fans to question trading away a first round pick (which could possibly be a top 5) for a wideout, in a draft that was absolutely STACKED at this position.

Now, maybe Watkins will win us a bunch of games and we will make the playoffs. And maybe he will be TWICE as good as an other receiver that they could have taken at 9, or even traded down for and got extra picks. This is possible, but so is the worst case scenario.

I do really like your comments wrt Mallett. He has no body of work to examine, but what we do know is that he has all the talent in the world. I hope he is a free agent in 2015 just in case Manuel busts out, and this is NOT to say that he will.

I am only saying that stranger things have happened.

I can't agree with your take here. The only receiver in this draft that was a potential immediate number 1 threat was Watkins. While deep in receivers, it was not necessarily deep in elite talents, unless you think the Bills needed Odell Beckham. Something tells me you would have been screaming about Beckham at 9, but he was the next best option at that point. Major drop off. The Bills have a roster full of number 2 WR talents and did not need another one. As for the "potentially top 5 pick", why plan for failure? It is as likely a bottom 5 pick as a top 5 pick. I applaud Whaley's guts on this. The big issue many people have us they simply do not believe EJ will play well enough to win, therefore the Bills should plan for failure despite what is a stacked roster at this point. That may happen, but planning for failure leads to failure every time.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree more. In the past there was an understood grooming period for qb's taken in the draft. Not like that today. EJ plays 10 games and people already want him kicked to the curb. Shows you how much the NFL has changed.

the whole world has gone to ...a sort of " me -here -now" culture.

Shame for that.

Edited by 3rdand12

Let's review that list:

1) Brady is never playing for the Bills. If he left NE, they would let him choose, he is not choosing Buffalo.

"I felt like I had a pretty good idea we'd take a quarterback," Brady recently told The MMQB.com's Peter King. "Coach (Bill) Belichick doesn't care who the quarterback is here. He's always going to play the guy who he thinks gives him the best chance to win."

At 36, Brady's starting role is rooted in security, but he makes a fair point about Belichick's history of unemotional decision-making at the quarterback position.

This is the same coach who traded away Drew Bledsoe to the Buffalo Bills and -- during a topsy-turvy stint in Cleveland -- blindsided the city by releasing local hero Bernie Kosar in favor of Vinny Testaverde.

"There's no entitlement in the NFL," Brady said. "I don't expect to be given anything. I just hope I'm the one most entitled to play that position for a long time here."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000353295/article/tom-brady-i-had-a-pretty-good-idea-wed-take-a-qb

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

If EJ has a real poor year, more than likely they'll blame it on coaching (and could be correct) fire the OC and bring in another one and give EJ at least one more year. You don't give up on a #1 draft pick after two years. He would have to have and absolutely horrible season to do that.

If someone is overrated, it doesn't matter what kind of coaching he has; he's not as good as you thought he was. I want EJ to succeed but am not prepared to say that, based on what i've seen pf him as a decision maker, presence, and leader, he merely needs good coaching. And another year may be merely extending the inevitable to the detriment of the franchise.

I wouldn't sign any of them.. Ive seen enough patchwork QBing in Buffalo to win 6-7 games a year. it would be better to sign the worst possible QB available and get in the top 5 of the draft where we have a realistic chance of getting a franchise QB. It makes no sense to piece together a team that can only win against bad teams while in reality you remain below average