Senators Urge N.F.L. to Act on Redskins’ Name

WASHINGTON — Fifty members of the Senate have signed a letter to the N.F.L. to urge its leadership to press the Washington Redskins to change the team name in the aftermath of tough sanctions against the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers for racially charged comments.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/sports/football/citing-nba-example-senators-urge-nfl-to-act-on-redskins-name.html?_r=1&referrer=

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah blah blah the only people who are offended by this name are ignorant white people with nothing better to do.

Robert Green, Chief of the Patawomeck Tribe tells theRichmond Times-Dispatch the name isn’t an issue for the vast majority of members of his tribe.

“About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesn’t offend them, either,” Green said.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/05/15/american-indian-chief-waste-of-time-to-argue-over-redskins-name/

Dodson is a full-blooded American Inuit chief originally from the Aleutian Tribes of Alaska, and said he was tired of being spoken for as a Native American.

“People are speaking for Native Americans that aren’t Native American. Being a full-blooded Indian with my whole family behind me, we had a big problem with all the things that were coming out [of the discussion],” he said. “I think they were basically saying that we were offended, our people were offended, and they were misrepresenting the Native American nation.

“We don’t have a problem with [the name] at all; in fact we’re honored. We’re quite honored.”

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Native-American-Chief-Talks-About-Redskins/cdb3c94e-f5c6-4d98-9acd-18d7fb768bb7

My Uncle is part Cherokee, as are my cousins (obviously) and they couldn't care less. My Uncle is a big Chiefs fan too.

Blah blah blah the only people who are offended by this name are ignorant white people with nothing better to do.

Robert Green, Chief of the Patawomeck Tribe tells theRichmond Times-Dispatch the name isn’t an issue for the vast majority of members of his tribe.

“About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesn’t offend them, either,” Green said.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/05/15/american-indian-chief-waste-of-time-to-argue-over-redskins-name/

Dodson is a full-blooded American Inuit chief originally from the Aleutian Tribes of Alaska, and said he was tired of being spoken for as a Native American.

“People are speaking for Native Americans that aren’t Native American. Being a full-blooded Indian with my whole family behind me, we had a big problem with all the things that were coming out [of the discussion],” he said. “I think they were basically saying that we were offended, our people were offended, and they were misrepresenting the Native American nation.

“We don’t have a problem with [the name] at all; in fact we’re honored. We’re quite honored.”

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Native-American-Chief-Talks-About-Redskins/cdb3c94e-f5c6-4d98-9acd-18d7fb768bb7

My Uncle is part Cherokee, as are my cousins (obviously) and they couldn't care less. My Uncle is a big Chiefs fan too.

But "chief" is a seniority designation, the tribe leader's title. "Redskin" refers to an actual physical feature, the skin tone, which can be a hot button for racial sensitivities.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'd tell Senate to stick it. This country is over offended and over Sensitive. Rub some dirt on it and get over it. More extremist, butt hurt liberals who are the very loud minority finding something else to be 'Offended' about.

Numerous Native American tribes, as well as the National Congress of American Indians have spoken out against the name, claiming that it is offensive, and tantamount to the "N-word." Would you characterize the Native American community as, "extremist, butt hurt liberals?"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/27/native-american-leaders-speak-out-against-redskins-name/

Edited by Rocky Landing

Numeerous Americans, as well as other Natives, have spoken for the name or that they just don't give a care. Some people are overly offended and are trying to capitalize on the Sterling and Cuban stories, and of course what else would the Senate be doing!??!!? Ohh, that's right, actual important work for the country and not dealing with this crap.

... and of course what else would the Senate be doing!??!!? Ohh, that's right, actual important work for the country and not dealing with this crap.

You speak as if the Senate doing "important work" is a good thing.

I'd tell Senate to stick it. This country is over offended and over Sensitive. Rub some dirt on it and get over it. More extremist, butt hurt liberals who are the very loud minority finding something else to be 'Offended' about.

I'm shocked an older, white person isn't offended by the term Redskins. If there was a team called the Detroit Darkies, we should jsut keep it because it's tradition. This country is falling apart because we can't use slurs like we used to!!!

The simple solution is poll Native American tribes and let them vote on the name. If it's cool with them, then stop with trying to change it.

I'm shocked an older, white person isn't offended by the term Redskins. If there was a team called the Detroit Darkies, we should jsut keep it because it's tradition. This country is falling apart because we can't use slurs like we used to!!!

The simple solution is poll Native American tribes and let them vote on the name. If it's cool with them, then stop with trying to change it.

Well that to me really gets to heart of the matter:

Who speaks for a community?

What absolute number of people who find it offensive is enough to have it changed?

Or what percent of the referenced community?

Well that to me really gets to heart of the matter:

Who speaks for a community?

What absolute number of people who find it offensive is enough to have it changed?

Or what percent of the referenced community?

Majority of the offended community.

Why do people feel the need to defend people using slurs? I'm not a woman so why should I care if a woman gets called a see you next tuesday? It's called treating people with respect. If this offends Native Americans (who really have no voice in this country), who are we to say? And if it doesn't, then keep it. Not hard.

so what you are saying is that you are extremely, and vocally, offended over this non-issue?

perhaps you could rub some dirt on it and get over it?

Majority of the offended community.

Why do people feel the need to defend people using slurs? I'm not a woman so why should I care if a woman gets called a see you next tuesday? It's called treating people with respect. If this offends Native Americans (who really have no voice in this country), who are we to say? And if it doesn't, then keep it. Not hard.

If a poll is actually practical, let's say 10,000,000 people qualify. What if 40% respond its offensive to them? Its not a majority but still a large percentage and 4,000,000 people. Still keep the name? What if 90% of the respondents reply its offensive but its only 5% of the available voters? They get to speak for the other 95% who didn't even care enough to vote?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack