BUFFALO BILLS SELECT JIM KELLY

Interesting piece on Kelly's draft day experience: spoiler alert, he did not want to play for Buffalo

ProTip: Always edit your links to not include the s in the http. It embeds the video that way, and if you are not signed in to Google or YouTube you need to in order to see the secure link.

I still want to know what happened to that secretary...

Interesting how history has a way of shaping itself. That secretary never interupts the meeting Kelly probably signs but 2 years later there is noway we are in position to draft Bruce Smith in the 85 draft. So actually although she did cost us 2 years of watching Kelly in a Bills uniform we probably would not of had Smith without her error in judgement.

'Spoiler alert' that Kelly didn't want to play in Buffalo? LOL.

But it is fun to revisit the '83 draft and ask 'what if'? The Bills were essentially 50/50 on Kelly or Marino, and the Pats were high on Kelly so imagine an AFCE with Marino in Buffalo, Kelly is in NE and perhaps Eason or O'Brien is in Miami. Or how about if Pittsburgh had not made the unfathomably bad decision to pass on Marino? Pretty good bet that Danny-boy would have had his rings if that happened.

'Spoiler alert' that Kelly didn't want to play in Buffalo? LOL.

But it is fun to revisit the '83 draft and ask 'what if'? The Bills were essentially 50/50 on Kelly or Marino, and the Pats were high on Kelly so imagine an AFCE with Marino in Buffalo, Kelly is in NE and perhaps Eason or O'Brien is in Miami. Or how about if Pittsburgh had not made the unfathomably bad decision to pass on Marino? Pretty good bet that Danny-boy would have had his rings if that happened.

You are correct sir. In that 30/30 on ESPN the Bills GM said we took Hunter with the first of our 1st round picks because we new 2 picks later either Kelly or marino had to be there. The other thing is everybody thinks that the Ken Obrien pick by the Jets was a bad pick, but it is only a bad pick with the notion they could of had Marino instead. Obrien, had a pretty good career, it is just that he had the unfortunate luck of being in the same draft & getting drafted in the same round as 3 hall of fame QBs.

And this board would have bitched that we reached for him when Kenny O'Brien and Tony Eason were available, and why didn't we trade our two #1 picks to move up and get Todd Blackledge?

Could you imagine the reaction if one of Whaley's top two picks chose to not sign with Buffalo? It would be full-on meltdown.

Sidebar here: I LOVED the way Pete Rozelle used to announce some of the big picks. He'd first say the position, and then give just the slightest pause, before announcing the name. It made that last second of suspense go off the charts.

Could you imagine the reaction if one of Whaley's top two picks chose to not sign with Buffalo? It would be full-on meltdown.

How about the national media firestorm if the consensus #1 pick (and the best prospect in a generation) told the team with the top pick "Don't draft me, I won't play for you", AND had a contract offer from the Yankees to go play baseball? In this day and age of media, the Elway story would have been unlike anything we've ever seen.

Sidebar here: I LOVED the way Pete Rozelle used to announce some of the big picks. He'd first say the position, and then give just the slightest pause, before announcing the name. It made that last second of suspense go off the charts.

How about the national media firestorm if the consensus #1 pick (and the best prospect in a generation) told the team with the top pick "Don't draft me, I won't play for you", AND had a contract offer from the Yankees to go play baseball? In this day and age of media, the Elway story would have been unlike anything we've ever seen.

Truly.

Flash forward a couple years, there was an interview with Kelly talking about playing for Oakland but snickering and saying that Buffalo still owned the rights to him. Then Al Davis is asked about his chances of acquiring him to which he responds that Ralph Wilson still hasn't forgiven him for Daryl Lamonica.

Anybody have access to any high-powered databases that might be able to pull up that newspaper article from the video at the 3:15 mark?

I've tried googling it but came up with nothing - it looks like it was the Miami Herald's Sports Weekend section on Friday June 10(?), 1983 with the title "Did secretary doom the deal with Bills?"

I'd be interesting in reading that!

Flash forward a couple years, there was an interview with Kelly talking about playing for Oakland but snickering and saying that Buffalo still owned the rights to him. Then Al Davis is asked about his chances of acquiring him to which he responds that Ralph Wilson still hasn't forgiven him for Daryl Lamonica.

I remember that. That was hilarious. :lol: