9/11 museum in NYC has a gift shop

I shouldn't be laughing at this, but the image is so incredibly offensive that I can't help it.

If it's not at the museum, the street peddlers will hawk it on the periphery.

IMHO, the victims' families have had way much sway on the development as it is. If they have a museum shop in the Holocaust museums or any other places where people died, there is no reason there shouldn't be a museum shop at the 9/11 memorial.

If it's not at the museum, the street peddlers will hawk it on the periphery.

IMHO, the victims' families have had way much sway on the development as it is. If they have a museum shop in the Holocaust museums or any other places where people died, there is no reason there shouldn't be a museum shop at the 9/11 memorial.

They don't at Auschwitz. They have a bookstore, but the rule of thumb is nothing that's not educational. They won't sell Monowitz snow globes just for the money.

Buchenwald, on the other hand...

I shouldn't be laughing at this, but the image is so incredibly offensive that I can't help it.

That's so offensive I'd actually buy one.

They don't at Auschwitz. They have a bookstore, but the rule of thumb is nothing that's not educational. They won't sell Monowitz snow globes just for the money.

Buchenwald, on the other hand...

I was referring to the museums in NYC, DC & Berlin

I've never seen a museum that didn't have a gift shop. That's their source of funding. Like concessions at a movie theater.

Pear Harbor has a gift shop. It's all kind of tasteless but it is a free country. Getting less so every day but still. Edited by Dante

:lol:

I wasn't kidding. I don't know if it still does, but Buchenwald at one time (relatively recently) had a gift shop where you could by honest-to-God souvenirs. Not as tacky as Holocaust snow globes...more along the lines of commemorative Shoah key chains. The Auschwitz committee has the right of it, I think. If it doesn't educate, don't sell it. If it's just to say "I was at Auschwitz!" it's commercialization, crass and shallow, and don't do it.

Although some people would consider an Auschwitz snow globe appropriate for "raising awareness." #SaveOurJews.

I wasn't kidding. I don't know if it still does, but Buchenwald at one time (relatively recently) had a gift shop where you could by honest-to-God souvenirs. Not as tacky as Holocaust snow globes...more along the lines of commemorative Shoah key chains. The Auschwitz committee has the right of it, I think. If it doesn't educate, don't sell it. If it's just to say "I was at Auschwitz!" it's commercialization, crass and shallow, and don't do it.

Although some people would consider an Auschwitz snow globe appropriate for "raising awareness." #SaveOurJews.

Buchenwald actually had a gift shop? I can only imagine how careful they would have had to be with their choice of souvenirs (a whole string of extremely tasteless ideas are parading through my imagination right now.....)

I can only imagine what it must be like to tour places like that...to actually be in a place where so much evil was perpetrated on so many others. I've been to many places in the US like Jamestown, Monticello, Willamsburg, and several others where they had, among other structures, slave quarters. that was bad enough. I can't imagine actually being at Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Dachau, or any of the others.

I was referring to the museums in NYC, DC & Berlin

You are correct. I know that the Holocaust Museum in DC has a gift shop, my daughter brought me back a "pinback" from there, because she knows that I collect them .

It was of the outside of the building, very generic, and there being a gift shop certainly didn't detract from the overwhelming experience of visiting there. She talked about it for hours.

I'd probably buy a "Livestrong" style bracelet with a bar-code on it were one available.

Buchenwald actually had a gift shop? I can only imagine how careful they would have had to be with their choice of souvenirs (a whole string of extremely tasteless ideas are parading through my imagination right now.....)

I believe it got as bad as keychains made from pebbles taken from the camp before common sense started to reassert itself.

I can only imagine what it must be like to tour places like that...to actually be in a place where so much evil was perpetrated on so many others. I've been to many places in the US like Jamestown, Monticello, Willamsburg, and several others where they had, among other structures, slave quarters. that was bad enough. I can't imagine actually being at Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Dachau, or any of the others.

I've been to Mt. Vernon, Monticello, Lee's mansion in Arlington...the slave quarters never registered with me as more than historical fact. Probably because slavery as an institution was relatively benign in Virginia, compared to the !@#$s in South Carolina or Mississippi.

Treblinka is just an open field with a stone cairn in the middle (Treblinka was one of the camps specifically created to gas Polish Jews. When they'd killed all the Polish Jews - and yes, that's literal - they had no more use for the camp, and tore it down. And "planted lupins," which I've always found to be an oddly specific fact.) But I've read stories from visitors that just waking across the field, it feels oppressively evil and creepy as !@#$-all.

And somehow, I suspect that still has nothing on the Nyamata Memorial in Rwanda. Just the pictures of that memorial are too much for me.