How is Brandon doing and what will happen to him with new owner ?

Russ Brandon  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give Russ Brandon as an executive with the Bills ?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. What will happen to Russ Brandon when the Bills have a new owner ?

• Keep him at his current position as President/CEO
    • Retain him, but with significantly less power and responsibility
    • Fire him outright

Nice straw man.

I guess the ceo of the franchise hasn't been "allowed" to do anything for 6 years. Ok cool. Wonder why he was wining and dining Mario Williams pre 2013. Surprised a 92 year old ralph wilson and littman didn't send the gestapo

As has been stated previously on here prior to 2013 he needed Littman's approval (acting on behalf of RW) on everything. That is very standard in sports that the owner has the final say. Since the start of 2013 RB is acting in the role of owner. Now he has final say. That is the difference. Personally, I think that is a good thing and think that there has been a lot of improvement since then. I like the staff, I like the last couple of drafts. I also like what they did in free agency this year. The team is heading in the right direction IMO.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To believe that, you have to agree that his short tenure as GM was not his fault, and he had little or nothing to do with the GM or HC hires/fires over the 2006-2013 time period. I don't think either of those are 100% accurate, although I will concede the point that he didn't have complete control over that time, I do believe he had an impact with the on-the-field product, I guess we can debate how much of an impact that was.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Whatever the division of power, Brandon has been around during some pretty lean years. So have Littman and Overdorf. If I'm the new owner and I'm looking for accomplishments in evaluating Sr. management, I'm not sure any of those 3 gentlemen have done enough in any role to justify trusting them with MY new investment.

New owners will have their own people. Absent a staggering resume full of accomplishment, I expect RB to be reassigned, if not replaced.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Whatever the division of power, Brandon has been around during some pretty lean years. So have Littman and Overdorf. If I'm the new owner and I'm looking for accomplishments in evaluating Sr. management, I'm not sure any of those 3 gentlemen have done enough in any role to justify trusting them with MY new investment.

New owners will have their own people. Absent a staggering resume full of accomplishment, I expect RB to be reassigned, if not replaced.

I have no problem with that opinion, as it's rooted in pragmatism. If the new owner looks at things and decides they don't want any ties with losing, well, then Brandon's gone. If they're looking for who succeeded in the specific tasks they were assigned, he probably gets to stay.

I was going for incompetent and/or underachieving, not EVIL. I think Brandon is very pro-WNY and that's good. I think like most executives, he's self-centered and self-promoting, which is what I'd expect from almost everyone in that job, so, I don't fault him on that front.

My point is that every Buffalo sports executive ends up with people coming for them with pitchforks and torches. If they did nothing wrong, we invent something.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

My point is that every Buffalo sports executive ends up with people coming for them with pitchforks and torches. If they did nothing wrong, we invent something.

theres sometimes a strong us vs them (them being pretty much everyone else) sentiment that ive noticed from some of the buffalo crowd.... "Us" does include the teams, but "them" seems to include pretty much anyone on the payroll - that part of it has always been interesting to me

I have worked at an executive level in pro sports for 2 teams and 8 years total. I have worked directly with many team presidents and league level executives. They are amazed at the sponsorship revenues and lease deal that they were able to put together. He has always had his hands tied by Littman until the beginning of 2013. Regardless of his title there were many battles fought over spending that JL shot down. That is one thing that not a lot of people know but its the truth. Now RB doesn't need that approval. I think that we can all agree that this team is in a much better place than they were 18 months ago.

The regionalization IS the reason that the team will remain long term in WNY. The Toronto series was a necessary evil to infiltrate that market. In addition it secured an extra $8m (I believe) per year in non shared revenue. This money is essential to be competitors in FA. The Bills have had to be EXTREMELY creative in generating those revenues b/c RWS & WNY will never yield what Jerry World will. Those revenues drive the cap but do not get divided. There is little to no chance that this team would remain in WNY without the business decisions that the Bills have made over the last 15 years.

Excellent post. I agree. He's the money guy and kept this team solvent in a very economically depressed area.

He finally put football guys in charge with Nix, now Whaley. They are digging us out of a hole. This could be a turning point for us this year.

I have no problem with that opinion, as it's rooted in pragmatism. If the new owner looks at things and decides they don't want any ties with losing, well, then Brandon's gone. If they're looking for who succeeded in the specific tasks they were assigned, he probably gets to stay.

I think that is probably the case. Just about every new owner will put their guy in charge. I suppose RB could stay and reporting to a Littman type that oversees the new owner's $. The only way that he stays is if someone like Jacobs that has worked with him for years comes in. It will have to be someone that has had a previous relationship with him (the Kelly group as well). I would suspect that RB will probably be gone but Whaley and Marrone will remain depending on their record.

I'm the one straw-manning? That's hilarious.

Buddy Nix wanted to go after Mario Williams, so Russ pitched in on the effort. The real straw man argument would be someone trying to use the fact that Russ went to dinner as "proof" that he was puling the strings on the franchise prior to being named Team President in 2013.

He wasn't.

There are certain things that can be debated, and others that are simply true or untrue. Russ having complete control over whole organizational (or football) decisions simply wasn't true prior to 2013. When he was granted control of the team, he acted quickly to usher out Nix and promote Whaley (if not in name immediately), revamp the scouting department, etc. Even if we're to ignore the world of multiple people in the know, does that not strike you as a shift in power?

I was referring to Mr Big Buff and this:

You and facts....Jesus...it's a love affair that just won't end. Please, it's an f'ing conspiracy! Can't you see it??!!! the little people with tin foil hats will NOT allow the BILLS to be successful, RB is a plant from another NFL team, intending on destroying the BILLS!!! Damn man, get it together... :doh:

I dont see the Williams thing as an example Brandon solely called all the shots. Its just an example there wasnt some imaginary marketing/football line Brandon wouldnt cross. He was also the rep to go meet with Shanahan, and the spokesperson for most everything with the team and he freely speaks of personnel/football matters. I think it takes a great deal of imagination to pretend he didnt have anything to do with the football team until 2013.

As far as the shift in power, I dont really see it as that major. Nix was going to walk anyways. It was the Bills' 3-year "cleanse" where they kind of shift around. Brandon went from CEO to President, and Whaley promoted from asst GM to GM and they hired Marrone as HC.

Anyways, Ive participated in this same discussion too many times. It doesnt get anywhere. It is very not relevant at this point in time. A new owner if he took over this Summer would be foolish to make any major moves until January (unless the wheels fall off come October/November). I really do like the roster too and believe the Watkins move was a coup. I dont even want to discuss this at this point. They make the playoffs I can and likely will change my opinion. My opinion on RW changed quite a bit seeing that a local sale seems very probable...

I like the staff, I like the last couple of drafts. I also like what they did in free agency this year. The team is heading in the right direction IMO.

I agree which is why Im angry I got drawn into this... again

Edited by May Day 10

I was referring to Mr Big Buff and this:

I dont see the Williams thing as an example Brandon solely called all the shots. Its just an example there wasnt some imaginary marketing/football line Brandon wouldnt cross. He was also the rep to go meet with Shanahan, and the spokesperson for most everything with the team and he freely speaks of personnel/football matters. I think it takes a great deal of imagination to pretend he didnt have anything to do with the football team until 2013.

As far as the shift in power, I dont really see it as that major. Nix was going to walk anyways. It was the Bills' 3-year "cleanse" where they kind of shift around. Brandon went from CEO to President, and Whaley promoted from asst GM to GM and they hired Marrone as HC.

Anyways, Ive participated in this same discussion too many times. It doesnt get anywhere. It is very not relevant at this point in time. A new owner if he took over this Summer would be foolish to make any major moves until January (unless the wheels fall off come October/November). I really do like the roster too and believe the Watkins move was a coup. I dont even want to discuss this at this point. They make the playoffs I can and likely will change my opinion. My opinion on RW changed quite a bit seeing that a local sale seems very probable...

Ah, sorry.

And you're right that it's not as though Brandon had nothing to do with football operations; just that he had no autonomy to make decisions. Now he does...of course, the football decisions are nearly 100% left to Whaley now, but that unto itself is a decision.

We do have Duff's down here now. The first non-WNY location.

http://www.duffstx.com/

Wings are identical to WNY, they even serve Loganberry, Labbatt's and Beef on Wick. Not sure the locals appreciate the quality upgrade, but the transplants sure do !

I think that is probably the case. Just about every new owner will put their guy in charge. I suppose RB could stay and reporting to a Littman type that oversees the new owner's $. The only way that he stays is if someone like Jacobs that has worked with him for years comes in. It will have to be someone that has had a previous relationship with him (the Kelly group as well). I would suspect that RB will probably be gone but Whaley and Marrone will remain depending on their record.

I suspect it has a lot to do with WHO the new owner is, but, I find it hard to see any person that spends a billion dollars on a team and not putting his own people in charge of the key positions. While, I think it'll happen for performance reasons, I'd be surprised if it didn't happen simply because of that.

I suspect it has a lot to do with WHO the new owner is, but, I find it hard to see any person that spends a billion dollars on a team and not putting his own people in charge of the key positions. While, I think it'll happen for performance reasons, I'd be surprised if it didn't happen simply because of that.

I've had suspicions for some time that the Brandon promotion was intended to bridge the gap between old and new ownership.

It would be surprising to see this not happen in a transition. I went through 2 ownership transitions and both times they put their own people in charge. Ironically, the initial guy was the best of the bunch. As soon as he as let go he had about 5 offers to be a team president. He currently is with an NHL team (who fired their president after an ownership transfer). 9 times out of 10 you are going to want your guy calling the shots.

I've had suspicions for some time that the Brandon promotion was intended to bridge the gap between old and new ownership.

This makes a lot of sense Bandit. Edited by Kirby Jackson

In what sense ? Do you think as part of a pre-planned transition plan with an already identified new owner ?

You know the same witch trial is going on at SabreSpace over Terry Pegula. What is it about Buffalo sports fans that they feel the need to turn on people who are trying to do good?

It's simple in sports it's what have you done for me lately. Especially in the FO's.

14+ years of complete failure, is exactly what you say "trying to do good". So, is RB the only cause? No. In fact Jeff Littman, Overdorf, Brandon equally share poor cap management. Yet, Playing with absurd money under the cap at the same time. Yet selling hope year after year. What other team loaded with scrubs can lead the league on dead cap, playoff droughts, on and on. and end up 6-10 year in and year out. Well except for the Jauron tenure when they went 7-9 every year.

The FO will be cleaned out worth new ownership. Even if a token wild card playoff slaughter was to happen in 14. The only thing the Bills win every year is the offseason. It has got very tiresome reading this crap that the team is better. On paper in Bills country yes. On the field? No way. Today, somewhere on this board someone even said if EJ plays all 16 it will still take yet another year to evaluate. Well, that thinking is what is known as Bills football.

A new owner and FO can not get here fast enough.

But somehow I suspect some will believe it is the fans fault for being the biggest joke in organized professional sports in the 21st century. Quite a feat and almost statistically impossible to accomplish especially in the NFL. That being the 14 year playoff drought.

In what sense ? Do you think as part of a pre-planned transition plan with an already identified new owner ?

More like getting your house ready for the sale. Ralph transitioned himself out to make sure that the lease is done, stadium improvements on schedule, staff in order, revenues where they want them, etc... Think of it like you were selling your house. You would want that house staged properly so that it presents well to perspective buyers.