Hashtag

Again, some of the tweets were coming from the White House. If the White House needs to tweet to raise it's own awareness, that's just silly.

Further, I very much doubt that Goodluck Johnathan is very concerned with the twitter content of US celebrities. Any pressure placed on him over the issue came directly from leaders of other world governments.

The whole theme is just another venue for wanton self promotion for attention starved celebs who desperately need to feel more important than they really are.

The White House tweeted it after it had been going around, and after it got media attention. To me, now they publicly know about it, and they publicly acknowledge it, that's at least a start.

I don't think tweeting stuff like this is harmful. Does it fix things by itself? Hell no. Does it help awareness? A bit. Maybe public pressure will get congress to move on it, the President can't do a whole lot by himself, unless he's declaring all governmental power for himself.

Again, I want to clarify, I'm not saying this is some solution to things, but various hashtag movements have been shown to raise awareness and start various processes of change. To me, that's not a bad thing.

---

Personally, considering our history though, I don't see why we as a country care about these girls, when we as a country start wars that kill thousands of innocents, and then also use drone strikes that also kill innocents.

But hey, I guess we get to be picky about that stuff.

Edited by Dorkington

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The White House tweeted it after it had been going around, and after it got media attention. To me, now they publicly know about it, and they publicly acknowledge it, that's at least a start.

I don't think tweeting stuff like this is harmful. Does it fix things by itself? Hell no. Does it help awareness? A bit. Maybe public pressure will get congress to move on it, the President can't do a whole lot by himself, unless he's declaring all governmental power for himself.

Again, I want to clarify, I'm not saying this is some solution to things, but various hashtag movements have been shown to raise awareness and start various processes of change. To me, that's not a bad thing.

---

Personally, considering our history though, I don't see why we as a country care about these girls, when we as a country start wars that kill thousands of innocents, and then also use drone strikes that also kill innocents.

But hey, I guess we get to be picky about that stuff.

The way to put pressure on Congress is to write your Congressman; not to self promote on twitter.

The way to put pressure on Congress is to write your Congressman; not to self promote on twitter.

People will write to their representatives when they are aware of the issue(s). Twitter/hashtags are awareness campaigns.

Edited by Dorkington

#D521646isaterribleposter

People will write to their representatives when they are aware of the issue(s). Twitter/hashtags are awareness campaigns.

I fear how little some people in this country might know without Twitter.

It is problematic that our educational systems don't provide the country what it needs. But the news networks, social media and print media are all valuable resources in raising awareness for various causes (whether they are a valuable cause or not is up to each individual to decide).

doesn't it strike you as being a little ironic that the bulk of said awareness is generated in this case from these peoples' photos being shown on the news, not necessarily through the twittersphere?

Edited by Azalin

Any updates on #JusticeForTreyvon?

OJ is looking for Martin's killer as we speak.

The interesting part of these hashtag awareness campaigns is that it raises awareness for the age group that votes the least.

So to be clear, these are Nigerian girls? If that's the case, how did they become" our" girls? Is it because of what LABF said?

If so I'll go on record as finding every upper class pampered American holding one of those signs to be a pompous, self-serving, sanctimonious ass hole.

Here's my message: when you pussies finish your "look at me" campaign, how about doing something that really will help people like getting together for a mass suicide. #Noonewillmissyou.

Edited by Rob's House

If someones main source of knowledge and awareness comes from Twitter...we would be better off as a country if they stayed out of politics.

So is the hashtag campaign targeted at Nigeria or is it targeted at the western governments? Seems like a moving target. And if it is targeted at the western governments, what does that say about a foreign policy that only moves at the behest of well-placed celebrity tweets?

It absolutely is a moving target which is the power of social media. It's designed to raise awareness of the situation and shame the people with the ability to do something about it (mainly the leaders of Nigeria) to stop pretending that nothing happened -- which is exactly what Goodluck Johnathan was doing for nearly three weeks after 200+ children were stolen in his own country.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anyone's foreign policy as it's a protest movement, which is why all the "outrage" in this thread from people who should know better is so hilarious. People just can't keep their political beefs out the story. That said, and as I said to Tom earlier, IF #s are the only way to get western governments to respond to crisis then yes, there is a huge problem.

DC Tom -

Well gosh..

Tim-

I want you to have an original thought. THAT

Are you having a stroke mid posting? Gosh, after all that flirting with me, wanting to follow me around from thread to thread and that's the best zinger you have?

You're worthless. Less than worthless.

Um... it's not 1827 anymore. The post office is dead. Writing letters is dead. Those tweets that you are so upset by ARE letters to congressmen, they're just the modern day equivalent. Maybe you'd respect it more if they sent their complaints via Pony Express...

Again, the amount of hilarious unintentional irony displayed in this thread is terrific. A bunch of cranky, conservative luddites posting on a message board about how worthless social media activism is. It's PPP's finest work.

BringBackOurGirls-The-Queen-Latifah-Show-May-2014-BellaNaija.com-01.jpg

Greggy –

Are you having a stroke mid posting? Gosh, after all that flirting with me, wanting to follow me around from thread to thread and that's the best zinger you have?

You're worthless. Less than worthless.

I hear you work in Hollyweird? Take out your Webster’s and check for the definition of worthless. You there yet? What do you see? LOL That’s right, a picture of hills with some large white letters, what does it say, bobo? ;)

Keep em coming sweetpea.. I got all day tiger.

Tim-

Greggy –

I hear you work in Hollyweird? Take out your Webster’s and check for the definition of worthless. You there yet? What do you see? LOL That’s right, a picture of hills with some large white letters, what does it say, bobo? ;)

Keep em coming sweetpea.. I got all day tiger.

Tim-

I suggest if you have all day, you use that time to sharpen your verbal machete and get some better jokes. You're losing, badly. Step your game up or GTFO.

Again, the amount of hilarious unintentional irony displayed in this thread is terrific. A bunch of cranky, conservative luddites posting on a message board about how worthless social media activism is. It's PPP's finest work.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

This board exists only for me to mock idiots, as far as I'm concerned. That's not social media activism, that's entertainment.