Younger GMs vs. Older GMs...could it be as simple as...

Higher testosterone levels in younger GMs making them willing to take more risks? Before you laugh at this, science has already established that higher testosterone is linked to higher confidence, being less risk averse(ie, confident your decision is right), and being more decisive.

Could this play a major difference between younger and older GMs in terms of their decision making? Nix was more careful and took very few chances, which is like many older GMs, versus Whaley who seemed to throw caution to the wind while implementing his plan. It would be interesting if they did a study on this, as testosterone or lack of, has a major effect on male decision making and aggressiveness, both in word and deed.

Food for thought, and I know first hand the difference in the way you act with higher and lower testosterone levels, which is why I thought it interesting to bring it up...

You're on to something here! I just turned 60 & even I am amazed at the difference in myself now from 20 yrs ago. I'm so dang boring now compared to what I used to be, I sometimes put myself to sleep. I would have never done what Whaley just did...yet strangely, I'm thrilled he did it!

I think that it has more to do with how they got to where they are. The younger GMs are more information based and less gut feeling based. There is information to support certain decisions that reaffirms that intuition and more confidently make decisions.

I think that it has more to do with how they got to where they are. The younger GMs are more information based and less gut feeling based. There is information to support certain decisions that reaffirms that intuition and more confidently make decisions.

Moneyball scouting.

Higher testosterone levels in younger GMs making them willing to take more risks? Before you laugh at this, science has already established that higher testosterone is linked to higher confidence, being less risk averse(ie, confident your decision is right), and being more decisive.

Could this play a major difference between younger and older GMs in terms of their decision making? Nix was more careful and took very few chances, which is like many older GMs, versus Whaley who seemed to throw caution to the wind while implementing his plan. It would be interesting if they did a study on this, as testosterone or lack of, has a major effect on male decision making and aggressiveness, both in word and deed.

Food for thought, and I know first hand the difference in the way you act with higher and lower testosterone levels, which is why I thought it interesting to bring it up...

That proves it GMs should be on steroids B-)

Unfortunately it doesn't establish anything about the decisions being correct.

Bingo.

Risk taking only works until it doesn't. Still, I think Doug is off to a good start.

If just one of the three OL picks pays off, we'll be in good shape. If two pay off...

Bingo.

Risk taking only works until it doesn't. Still, I think Doug is off to a good start.

If just one of the three OL picks pays off, we'll be in good shape. If two pay off...

I get the feeling 2 of them will pay off.

Making moves should be dependent on where you are in your rebuild. Just starting it or a year in most likely you don't give those picks away; you can get solid talent with all of your picks to improve your roster. The further in the rebuild you are and with a higher talent level all around, you can make some moves and go grab those potentially elite players to get you over the top. There is only one position that this logic doesn't necessarily follow and this is obviously QB....

That being said, I doubt NIx would have moved around as much in rounds 2-7....

Yes, that is correct...an interesting snippet from one article:

"The hormone that drives male aggression and sexual interest also seems able to boost short term success at finance. But what seems to start out well can turn bad, with elevated testosterone levels over several days possibly leading to irrational risk-taking, according to researchers at the University of Cambridge in England."

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=4688200

Edited by matter2003

Yes, that is correct...an interesting snippet from one article:

"The hormone that drives male aggression and sexual interest also seems able to boost short term success at finance. But what seems to start out well can turn bad, with elevated testosterone levels over several days possibly leading to irrational risk-taking, according to researchers at the University of Cambridge in England."

http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=4688200

So what you're saying is, Whaley doesn't need that little blue pill?