Congrats to Michael Sam

Gugny

I do? I have? Show me. I would say I'm being a pretty neutral observer pointing out factual information.

"The best way to show that it's not a big deal is to not contribute to the volume of commentary. I am not saying "shut up," I'm just saying that logically, those who do so are extending a conversation that they've already told everyone is useless -- and that makes no sense".........your words Edited by dwight in philly

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The fact that there are other R7 picks is something that doesn't make much difference to people, and the fact that an openly gay player got drafted for the first time ever does make a difference to people - enough that even some who want to assert it's not a big deal, come here to comment on it!

The best way to show that it's not a big deal is to not contribute to the volume of commentary. I am not saying "shut up," I'm just saying that logically, those who do so are extending a conversation that they've already told everyone is useless -- and that makes no sense."......... i choose to comment on and said "i dont care" why judge those who dont and then offer a comment?

I'm pointing out that the "I don't care" posts are counter-productive to someone who holds such a position. No judgment, whatsoever. Unless, in saying "I don't care," you're actually saying that you would like for people to keep discussing it.

The first paragraph refers to the point about the STL evening news and not the OP, by the way.

I'm pointing out that the "I don't care" posts are counter-productive to someone who holds such a position. No judgment, whatsoever. Unless, in saying "I don't care," you're actually saying that you would like for people to keep discussing it.

The first paragraph refers to the point about the STL evening news and not the OP, by the way.

again.. you made the judgment that" i dont care posts" are counter productive! .. really how? i would submit, (just my opinion) that some people do not care about it.. a 7th round choice ? i am old, but i still have most of my faculties and do not recall cameras "hearalding" a 7 th round pick .. i do not care about a 7th round pick.. the fact he kissed his boyfriend etc, i dont care.. he is a 7th round pick and the only people making an issue out of it are his apologists.. which again, I DONT CARE!,, but i chose to comment on it because it is a topic on a message board that i partake of Edited by dwight in philly

again.. you made the judgment that" i dont care posts" are counter productive! .. really how? i would submit, (just my opinion) that some people do not care about it.. a 7th round choice ? i am old, but i still have most of my faculties and do not recall cameras "hearalding" a 7 th round pick .. i do not care about a 7th round pick.. the fact he kissed his boyfriend etc, i dont care.. he is a 7th round pick and the only people making an issue out of it are his apologists.. which again, I DONT CARE!,, but i chose to comment on it because it is a topic on a message board that i partake of

Because you obviously care enough to keep responding? I am sorry that these judgments seem for you to feel like something handed down to Moses on the mountain, but they are simply me observing that you do in fact seem to care a lot. I don't care about Game of Thrones so I don't respond to that thread...

Because you obviously care enough to keep responding? I am sorry that these judgments seem for you to feel like something handed down to Moses on the mountain, but they are simply me observing that you do in fact seem to care a lot. I don't care about Game of Thrones so I don't respond to that thread...

your choice.. i respond as i see fit.. no room for neutrality on here.. its either yes or no? Edited by dwight in philly

What about the other 300 guys that made it to the NFL? Not sure why this is a story. There's probably at least 1 gay guy on every nfl roster. Good for Michael Sam to be proud enough to come out and tell everyone and not hide but at the end of the day I don't see why anyone should care

Well if you follow the stats that are put out that up to 10% of people are gay, which I think is too high, probably 5%, then there are at least 2-3 guys on any squad who are gay.

I could care less. I'm friends with more than enough gay men and not threatened at all as I'm sure that most of you are not as well. I've changed in the gym locker room, etc and it is just not an issue for most people who are comfortable with themselves.

The problem I see is just the circus and hopefully he legitimately makes the team. Teams were afraid of all the press and what if he really is not worth a roster spot. Will the Rams get blasted on the Today show, and all of the other liberal venues because they cut him?

I truly hope that doesn't happen, he's good enough on his performance to make the team, and flourish in the NFL. He's at best a back up with that defense.

shhhhhh...freedom of speech is a fallacy. you can say anything you want. the aftermath may be more than you bargained for.

Classic right wing response. No one is questioning the legality of your ability to say what you want about the Michael Sam situation. I love it when Hank Williams, Jr. got fired from ESPN for his Obama/Hitler comments and all the bozos started saying, "whatever happened to freedom of speech?" He was free to say what he said- notice he didn't go to jail over it. But by questioning ESPN's ability to fire Williams at their own discretion, the bozos were questioning ESPN's own constitutional freedoms.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

your choice.. i respond as i see fit.. no room for neutrality on here.. its either yes or no?

There's plenty of room for neutrality, indifference, whatever you want to call it. Am I silencing you from sharing your posts? Am I deleting them?

You're free to share, I'm free to respond and comment on the optics of it, you're free to hate what I write and to ignore it -- even to ignore me as a user. It's a pretty damn groovy place that SDS and others have set up here. I feel like I'm actually being very un-touchy-feely about all this, which is kind of an irony considering my position.

Well if you follow the stats that are put out that up to 10% of people are gay, which I think is too high, probably 5%, then there are at least 2-3 guys on any squad who are gay.

I could care less. I'm friends with more than enough gay men and not threatened at all as I'm sure that most of you are not as well. I've changed in the gym locker room, etc and it is just not an issue for most people who are comfortable with themselves.

The problem I see is just the circus and hopefully he legitimately makes the team. Teams were afraid of all the press and what if he really is not worth a roster spot. Will the Rams get blasted on the Today show, and all of the other liberal venues because they cut him?

If the Rams can't take the heat from Matt Lauer, I think they are completely f---ed to begin with. I'd imagine they are far more concerned about the Seahawks, Niners and Cards. I think the media presence will turn out to really be a non-issue and the team, I'm sure, can do what it wants to keep it from being a circus. If Sam wants to court the circus element more than he wants to play the game (which I doubt is the case), he doesn't stand a chance.

Your not getting what I'm saying. I don't think Fisher is worried about Matt Lauer. What I'm saying is most NFL franchises like to remove themselves from the circus (see Tim Tebow at the Jets)

That's all. As I said before, I hope he is good enough to make it. I have absolutely nothing against him. He is small for a DE, and slow from his combine. The opposite is he was named to the awards in the SEC. I hope the guy makes it, and glad Buffalo does not deal with that media mess. It's distracting to the team as they will be asked about it non stop. We don't need that with our three year 6-10 record.

I met Dominique Davis today.

I was leaving WalMart in Lynchburg, VA this morning when a young man smiled and said, "Excuse me, sir, but would you happen to be a Bills fan?" (I had my Moulds jersey on.) I told that I was, and asked him the same. He told me he was born and raised in Buffalo and was a lifelong fan.

Then I learned that he'd just graduated from Liberty University with a degree in Communication Studies, and that he was a defensive lineman for the Flames. He told me about a teammate who'd been drafted by Miami.

I looked up his stats. He had a good career as a reserve lineman for a D1 program. He earned his degree, and he was headed home.

Meeting Davisi put the Michael Sam event into context for me. I am thrilled for Sam and his family, and I am glad that his sexual orientation didn't impede his path to the NFL. However, as the OP suggested, Sam's true accomplishment is to be one of fewer than 300 football players to hear his name called.

Davis, a Lafayette HS grad who also did track and swimming, didn't have his name called. Nor did thousands of other D1 and D2 players who will now go on with their lives. Their orientation didn't keep them out or get them into the NFL. Neither did Sam's.

What is dis

What do you find disgusting ? I don't get it.

It is a big story because of people like you. You would have gay people not express themselves or live openly.

I think we all can agree on having no good use for pottery

I fought for whoever, whenever and wherever to be able to express themselves, just because it is their right doesn't mean i have to agree with watch it or enjoy it.

Its a big story because of people like YOU who try and call out people who do not enjoy watching it.

I watched the presser in St Louis on NFL Network when I got home a little drunk in the early hours of this morning. Les Snead said he'd had hundreds of texts from people involved in pretty much all capacities in the NFL, not one of them negative. I do understand why this is a story, I thought the raw emotion on show when he was drafted and the kiss with his boyfriend was a human interest moment, but now I think the media need to move on. Michael Sam wants to be Michael Sam the football player. People in the NFL seem ready to embrace him as that.... the media (in the US and abroad - because it made the morning sports bulletins here in the UK too) need to allow that to be the case.

I hope he makes the St Louis roster because he seems a genuine guy and I think he has been courageous in taking the decision to be honest. But I want him to make the roster on talent, which is exactly how I'm sure he wants to make it. I wish him luck.

There's plenty of room for neutrality, indifference, whatever you want to call it. Am I silencing you from sharing your posts? Am I deleting them?

You're free to share, I'm free to respond and comment on the optics of it, you're free to hate what I write and to ignore it -- even to ignore me as a user. It's a pretty damn groovy place that SDS and others have set up here. I feel like I'm actually being very un-touchy-feely about all this, which is kind of an irony considering my position.

If the Rams can't take the heat from Matt Lauer, I think they are completely f---ed to begin with. I'd imagine they are far more concerned about the Seahawks, Niners and Cards. I think the media presence will turn out to really be a non-issue and the team, I'm sure, can do what it wants to keep it from being a circus. If Sam wants to court the circus element more than he wants to play the game (which I doubt is the case), he doesn't stand a chance.

"damn groovy"?? havent heard groovy in a long time..! peace.. out..

He doesn't care the guy is gay.

He cares that so many people make a big deal out of it because it's annoying when moral elitists feel the need to tell everyone how morally elite they are.

Not a hard concept or distinction.

Point of fact: I have many friends that are gay. My wife and I are going to St Tropez with our friends who happen to be a gay couple later this summer. It's fair to say the last thing I'd ever be called is homophobic.

I think it's embarrassing when people and the media over hype situations like the Michael Sam situation. IMHO people that feel feed into it fall into one of two camps. 1) they just crawled out from under a rock and actually think this is a watershed moment. 2) they are using this as the Twitter/Instagram/Facebook version of a selfie. "Hey! Look at me! I'm really accepting of other lifestyles! Aren't I so enlightened?"

Edited by dubs

Why is this a story? Because we are making this a story! Enough already people. He is a football player that happens to be gay! I hate that people make a big deal about this. Anyone that spends time chatting with me in the shoutbox knows my position about this. No oun intended but put this to bed already. Its not like he has no arms!

Your not getting what I'm saying. I don't think Fisher is worried about Matt Lauer. What I'm saying is most NFL franchises like to remove themselves from the circus (see Tim Tebow at the Jets)

That's all. As I said before, I hope he is good enough to make it. I have absolutely nothing against him. He is small for a DE, and slow from his combine. The opposite is he was named to the awards in the SEC. I hope the guy makes it, and glad Buffalo does not deal with that media mess. It's distracting to the team as they will be asked about it non stop. We don't need that with our three year 6-10 record.

Fisher made the pick, he wasn't that high on their board but wanted to make a statement. I say good for him

He doesn't care the guy is gay.

He cares that so many people make a big deal out of it because it's annoying when moral elitists feel the need to tell everyone how morally elite they are.

Not a hard concept or distinction.

Point of fact: I have many friends that are gay. My wife and I are going to St Tropez with our friends who happen to be a gay couple later this summer. It's fair to say the last thing I'd ever be called is homophobic.

I think it's embarrassing when people and the media over hype situations like the Michael Sam situation. IMHO people that feel feed into it fall into one of two camps. 1) they just crawled out from under a rock and actually think this is a watershed moment. 2) they are using this as the Twitter/Instagram/Facebook version of a selfie. "Hey! Look at me! I'm really accepting of other lifestyles! Aren't I so enlightened?"

you say enlightened , I say human

Your reaction to his post is interesting. I am also someone who finds male homosexuality gross. Two men kissing is like watching someone eat their own puke. Why am I a bad guy if I get an upset stomach from seeing certain things. I suppose that some people should be forced to see or experience things that gross them out. Seems fair. I have the right to change the channel, and I often do. You need to realize that just like homosexuals that have zero control over their sexual orientation, their really are straight people in the world that can't control what grosses them out. Good luck on your request to promote one point of view while attacking all others to the contrary who are not "against" your core principal in the first place.

Eat their own puke. you might want to find out why you are having such a sevre response . I mean I wonder if Gay poeple feel like eating thier own puke when I kiss my wife. Nah I don't wonder becasue they don't nobody would , almost nobody

If he only wants to be judged by his game then he shouldn't have kissed his boyfriend in front of the whole world. I don't care what he does in private but to openly flaunt his homosexuality makes me want to puke an it's not something I want to explain to my son. If my words upset someone then so be it.

If he only wants to be judged by his game then he shouldn't have kissed his boyfriend in front of the whole world. I don't care what he does in private but to openly flaunt his homosexuality makes me want to puke an it's not something I want to explain to my son. If my words upset someone then so be it.

I'm pretty sure your son will be able to handle it, and Michael Sam has not made it your problem. The way he will handle it will be based on the way you handle it -- either by following your example or by rejecting it as he sees other people who just happen to be gay leading very normal lives.

It was about as much kissing as you see in a wedding, and you see more brazen moral conduct in a CBS promo during a cutaway for a game. I mean, I'd rather not explain why someone is jumping out of a coffin with a submachine gun during mid-day national programming, either.

He wasn't in front of the whole world, btw, he was in the privacy of his home and the media were allowed in to capture the moment.

How about.....Congrats to all the college players who were drafted by NFL teams.

Sure thing. Among them congrats to a guy who a decade ago would not have had the courage to be himself, and may possibly not have been drafted due to whispers and suspicion.

He has a tough road ahead, like all 7th round draft picks.